The People V.S. Pearl Room

It's not like Chicago is the only city with venues in the suburbs.

Yeah, I'm sure in the course of a whole US tour, the Pearl Room/Mokena would still rank reasonably high for bands. That's why I mentioned those specific bands, because they've experienced the "true" Chicago venues before, so they have something to compare to on their "Chicago" stop, and they might view it as a downgrade.

Neil

Yeah, I'm sure in the course of a whole US tour, the Pearl Room/Mokena would still rank reasonably high for bands. That's why I mentioned those specific bands, because they've experienced the "true" Chicago venues before, so they have something to compare to on their "Chicago" stop, and they might view it as a downgrade.

Neil

very true....almost like. Hey we played the city last time but now we are in this backwoods place. Who is that kid on that front porch with that banjo? Why did that old man ask if our songs sound like a pig squeling?

Also it sounds like the whole Doro situation was over the parking. HUH? that is the one nice thing about the Pearl Room. There is plenty of parking. So what if you couldnt park in the main lot. Just park at the backlot by the train station like everyone else.

For me, going to concerts in the city is all dependent on the venue. HOB is not a problem, I'm aware that at a show at HOB Im going to spend some good dough but at least I know that I wont have a problem finding parking (even if I have to pay for it) and I'll be home in less than an hour after the show.
The Metro however is a totally different story, going there on a weekeday during a Cubs game is something that I'll never do ever again.

Another example is the Double Door, there's nowhere to freaking park anywhere near there. The Aragon and Riv are other 2 venues where parking sucks. When I go there I always end up all the way down by the cementary.

Serisouly, the Blue line out of Rosemont is your friend, Jose. A cheap ride into and out of the city, and it'll drop you off a minute from Double Door... and if you stay on and swtich to the Red line, it'll put you within blocks of Metro... even if there's a Cubs game...

all my experiences at the Pearl Room have been positive. been able to meet several bands there and have a chat. however i would KILL to see a municipal waste show there just to watch the security freak the fuck out with all the mosh shenanigans that will go on.

I saw that Athiest were not too happy with being in farm country. After last years Powerfest they post a review which they were very happy with the show but the surroundings were much to be desired. They thought themselves with it being called "Chicago" Powerfest that it was near the city.

I remember at the Angra show at Rileys, I was talking to the bass player and he was saying that he couldnt find the big tall buildings he has heard about. I told him that he was very far from the city. That this was just a suburb of the city. He was kind of bummed.

What does this have to do with the fan? It's called you do your job. I traveled for a while with an old company I worked for and I got sent to a lot of shitty places that sucked but I just had to deal with it and do my job even if there weren't tall buildings. You can get to Chicago from Aurora in under 45 minutes, if they wanted to see it that bad I'm sure any number of their fan boys would have been willing to give them a ride!

What does this have to do with the fan? It's called you do your job. I traveled for a while with an old company I worked for and I got sent to a lot of shitty places that sucked but I just had to deal with it and do my job even if there weren't tall buildings. You can get to Chicago from Aurora in under 45 minutes, if they wanted to see it that bad I'm sure any number of their fan boys would have been willing to give them a ride!

You really must have no clue. Having known lots of bands and traveled with some. It sucks when you pull up to a place thinking one thing and seeing anouther. Lots of bands who are from out of the country are not just going to travel 45 minutes to see the sights. I remember Therion being very excited at the HOB show because they were able to explore the city before the show. Leaves's Eyes were really exited to be in the city and being able to check stuff out. For us it is a easy 45 minute drive but to a person who doesnt really know the country. It is tough.

My brother, who tours a lot, always hates it when a promoter tells them one thing, they get to the club and it is something totally different. It happens a lot to bands.

The Athiest interview I read basically was like, "we are stuck in this town for a couple of days with nothing to do because there is nothing around it".

I havent seen security at HOB do anything to anyone who didnt deserve it.

My best friend, his girlfriend, and I went to HOB to see Savatage/Fates Warning. After the show, Savatage was trying to have a meet & greet, but security was trying to get everyone out of the club. My buddy was talking to a Savatage member when one of the guards came over to shoo his girlfriend and me out of the club. My buddy's girlfriend took a step toward my buddy to tell him that we were getting kicked out, and this cocksucker guard grabbed her arm and tried to force her toward the exit. (She was about 5'3 and 130 pounds, totally sober, and not starting shit with the guy or anything.) Luckily, the guy backed off after that, or he would have left the venue in a body bag.

I live in the near west burbs with equal access to the city as well as Pearl Room. I would much rather drive a little bit further to Mokena than pay an extra $15 - 20 for parking somewhere in the city, not to mention beer prices downtown are outrageous. Since I'm an old fart, I prefer tighter security regards moshing, stage diving, etc. I'm of the opinion that if I stood near the front of the stage for hours to see the main band, I shouldn't have to leave that spot because a bunch of later arriving yahoos want to throw elbows/shoulders/legs/feet in my back. I'm not saying moshing should be disallowed, but there should be an option for those of us that don't want to participate. I have seen Pearl Room security form a somewhat circle around those that want to mosh, protecting those that don't. I'm all for that. However, I am also aware that there will be some bands where the probability for crazy crowd antics are high, and I'll hang in the back instead.
It seems to me that the opportunity to see decent metal acts is definitely on the upswing, and I'm extremely happy that we have these opportunities as opposed to road trips to other states. I can't believe that now we're getting spoiled to the point that we want these shows right at our doorstep.

My brother, who tours a lot, always hates it when a promoter tells them one thing, they get to the club and it is something totally different. It happens a lot to bands.

The Athiest interview I read basically was like, "we are stuck in this town for a couple of days with nothing to do because there is nothing around it".

Maybe Athiest should have been pro-active and done some research once they booked the show:

A) Find out where Mokena, IL is and the distance from the city. They could then plan something to do.

B) Contact the promotors/friends for suggestions of places to see and things to do either near Mokena or in the city.

I don't know any details of the conversations or expectations between the promotors and Athiest, however it almost seems like they were expecting more to be done for them, when the reality is that they could have done it themselves. It's not the promotor's job to entertain the bands 24 hours a day, but I'm sure they would have no problem assisting the band if asked for ideas, should the band want to venture out themselves on their own dime.

Maybe Athiest should have been pro-active and done some research once they booked the show:

A) Find out where Mokena, IL is and the distance from the city. They could then plan something to do.

B) Contact the promotors/friends for suggestions of places to see and things to do either near Mokena or in the city.

I don't know any details of the conversations or expectations between the promotors and Athiest, however it almost seems like they were expecting more to be done for them, when the reality is that they could have done it themselves. It's not the promotor's job to entertain the bands 24 hours a day, but I'm sure they would have no problem assisting the band if asked for ideas, should the band want to venture out themselves on their own dime.

I think using the "Chicago" in the fest title is what confused them.

I've been to the Pearl Room a couple times. I'm going to be very selective on what bands I go and see there. 1st of all, putting the show somewhere in the city with easy late night public transportation is a big plus for me. I don't want to drive 45 min from the west burbs, have a few beers, and then have to drive 45 minutes home afterwards. If Firewind would of played the Metro, I would of definately caught them there, but the hastle of going to the Pearl Room, I passed. Sonata had no problem packing them in at the Metro. Also a suggestion for the Pearl Room, add some frickin bar stools!!!!!!!!!!! It sucks standing for all the opening acts.

I've been to the Pearl Room a couple times. I'm going to be very selective on what bands I go and see there. 1st of all, putting the show somewhere in the city with easy late night public transportation is a big plus for me. I don't want to drive 45 min from the west burbs, have a few beers, and then have to drive 45 minutes home afterwards. If Firewind would of played the Metro, I would of definately caught them there, but the hastle of going to the Pearl Room, I passed. Sonata had no problem packing them in at the Metro. Also a suggestion for the Pearl Room, add some frickin bar stools!!!!!!!!!!! It sucks standing for all the opening acts.

You and Diabolik (Bob) will get along famously!

The House of Blues security is almost as bad.

Security at the HoB has been quite worse, IMO. I just think people may be forgetting this because the Pearl Room has recently been getting a lot of the shows which the HoB used to...and therefore, the chances of witnessing/experiencing an issue with security at the PR are far greater now.

All things considered, the security at the PR is not bad at all. And people also forget that most shows at the PR (currently) do not have the barricade between the crowd & the stage like every other same sized venue in the Chicago area does...thus, opening it up to more chances of security issues...like fans getting on stage...a HUGE band safety issue in the wake of Dimebag's murder.

And no worries...there WILL BE a barricade at the Powerfest.

I'm actually kind of interested about what the band reactions are going to be like after they play at The Pearl Room.

Well, every headliner that I know of who has played the Pearl Room has had nothing but good things to say. A couple (Exodus being one of them even after the recent incident) has already dubbed the Pearl Room as their favorite venue in the entire country.

That's got to tell you something.

Plus, you know what...when a band is on tour, the headliners are typically on a tour bus...and they don't care about the actual location of the venue since they're in & out without hardly anytime to do much else. As long as it's a cool place, the staff is cool & the fans show up & kick ass, they love it...and the Pearl Room goes way beyond most!! Trust me...I've played at or been backstage at almost every venue in the Chicago area, and as far as accommodations & ammenities for the bands are concerned, the Pearl Room is the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hands down!! Even rivals the Allstate Arena & Tinley Park's whatever-the-fuck-it's-called-now...and destroys Alpine Valley.

Fans would never know shit like this....but when bands have played at shitty club after shitty club, the Pearl Room is like playing the Ritz-Carlton of venues.

Sure, an opening band traveling in a shitty van playing in front of 15 ppl at 6pm when doors open & who may not even be allowed into all the same VIP areas inside the venue as the featured bands (restrictions placed on them by headliner) may have some complaints...which wouldn't be any different from their complaints of any of the "Chicago" venues...but then at least they can go "hang" at some of the other "places" nearby because they're "in the city". Whatever!! :lol: :p :lol:

If you are in a band, you haven't truly lived if you haven't played at the Fireside Bowl!!! Talk about plush backstage amentities!! You get your own lane to load your gear onto!!! :lol:

If you are in a band, you haven't truly lived if you haven't played at the Fireside Bowl!!! Talk about plush backstage amentities!! You get your own lane to load your gear onto!!! :lol:

Is that the same lane that had the giant piece of plastic taped up there to catch the water leaking in from the roof??

Actually HOB has the best backstage. Full course meal from the kitchen / restraunt, plus the club loads and unloads for you.

Pearl Room is definetly upperclass compared to Fireside, Rileys, and other clubs. We busted the Fireside Bowl for reusing plastic cups out of the garbage can.