The People V.S. Pearl Room

Seeing as the Pearl room is 5 minutes from my house, I think it kicks ass! Plus, it's beyond easy to meet the bands there.

True, the security can be slight dickheads. Look up the infamous "Cell phone incident at the Symphony X show" to see what I mean, but I heard that was actually a band edict. Silly Michael Romeo.

GateXII, I've been to at least five shows at the Pearl Room, at least three of which were sold out. Any idea why they never open up the balcony?

Which three were sold out? o_O

Seeing as the Pearl room is 5 minutes from my house, I think it kicks ass! Plus, it's beyond easy to meet the bands there.

True, the security can be slight dickheads. Look up the infamous "Cell phone incident at the Symphony X show" to see what I mean, but I heard that was actually a band edict. Silly Michael Romeo.

GateXII, I've been to at least five shows at the Pearl Room, at least three of which were sold out. Any idea why they never open up the balcony?

what shows sold out there?

My best friend, his girlfriend, and I went to HOB to see Savatage/Fates Warning. After the show, Savatage was trying to have a meet & greet, but security was trying to get everyone out of the club. My buddy was talking to a Savatage member when one of the guards came over to shoo his girlfriend and me out of the club. My buddy's girlfriend took a step toward my buddy to tell him that we were getting kicked out, and this cocksucker guard grabbed her arm and tried to force her toward the exit. (She was about 5'3 and 130 pounds, totally sober, and not starting shit with the guy or anything.) Luckily, the guy backed off after that, or he would have left the venue in a body bag.

The same thing has happened to me numerous times at the HoB.
And it wasn't even like we were loitering or procrastinating getting the fuck out of the place...the show had literally ended two minutes prior and we were saying goodbye to some friends and waiting for another member of our party to get back from the bathroom, when security immediately started yelling at people to get out and pushing us towards the door.
Since cell phone signals suck ass in that place we had to wait for her to get back or else she would have been looking for us all over.

I hate this place and avoid it completely unless there is a band that I am *dying* to see. I even skipped Nightwish the last time they played there and opted to see a local band instead for the sheer fact that I didn't feel like dealing with security.

Another instance was at the last show I saw there, which was hopefully my last, as I really don't care to ever go there again.
When you first walk in the place and they frisk you, they make you go directly up the stairs and into the venue...no waiting on the stairs for your friends. The person I went with was held up by security for his necklace...a tiny, dull, couldn't hurt a fly, 1 inch dagger necklace. So I was waiting right around the corner on the stairs for security to ask my friend 20 questions about the necklace, while other security told me to go into the venue and there was no waiting for friends on the stairs, regardless of the fact that no one else was coming up the stairs at that moment.
That was total bullshit, imo.

I love the Pearl Room!
It's way better than driving downtown, in Chicago traffic, paying $20 for parking, battleing the homeless people begging for change, and knowing me, getting lost on the way out of the city.

The only Pearl Room issue for me is, as well as many of you, is the distance and the round-about way of getting there from where I live.
Also, the fact that they won't let you out for a smoke, but that is every venue since January 1st.
Bastards.

(Speaking of which, Rob- is there any way us regular ticket holders could get a "Smoker's pass" to get in and out of the venue for nicotine purposes only"?)

:Smokin:

After the last Nightwish show at the HOB I was sitting outside with some friends waiting for another friend who was still inside buying tickets. A friend who was representing Roadrunner came up to us and started to chit chat, she handed my friend a flyer that had some info from Roadrunner and one of the security guards came up to her and said that she could not hand out flyers unless she moved over to the sidewalk which was 2 ft from where she was standing.
Yes, she needed to move 2 ft.

Yeah, I recall having been "shoved" out of the HOB on two occasions after a show merely while we were waiting for some friends to get out of the bathroom. They're definitely not what I would call a "people-friendly" place. I'm sure pate can back me up on this, too.