The People V.S. Pearl Room

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
As of late is seems more and more people are getting sick of the Pearl Room. First with the security vs Exodus and the fans. Now I just read that some stuff has happened at the Doro show. Not sure what but on the MetalRules forum someone was talking about it. More and more fans have voiced thier opinion on the distance of the club and packing to many opening acts (like most clubs do). Plus I have heard talkings from bands about being so far from the city.

I am wondering how soon to we see a shift with shows moving back to the city. With the new Bottom Lounge and Reggies. Hopefully we will see metal move back to the city. Sure it is still great being able to have a place to have shows at and who knows if all the shows that have happened there would even have gotten booked any where else, but it seems that more and more people are getting sick of the security and distance of the club.

My question is....would more of you go to more shows that you were on the fence on or curious about if it was closer?

Since most of us are all scattered all over the place....which do you perfer? city shows or shows out in no mans land?

It seems that Reggies is starting to book more metal shows....with Macabre, MOD, Belladonna, and a few others. Hopefully this works out and smaller acts who are not big enough for a venue the size of the Pearl Room could play there. Something like Firewind would have been better suited at Reggies than Pearl Room.

I read similar postings about the Doro show as well.
Not sure what happened....

Anyhow...
There is no doubt that there have been many shows I was semi-interested in that I took a pass on, partially due to the distance of the Pearl Room. Not a knock the venue itself in any way.

One thing I prefer about going to the city for shows is that you can work other activities into the trip, such as hitting various record stores or other bars / restaurants before the gig...

I guess for me it depends on the band. I will drive anywhere in the Chicagoland area (city or burbs) to see certain bands. There are others though for which the distance of a venue would keep me away (Which I think Bob, is partially the point you are making).

It's funny. I have spoken to around 3 or 4 people about the upcoming Helloween tour, who said to me, "What is the Pearl Room and where is Mokena, IL"???

For those of us that live several hours south of Chicago (me and pate), The Pearl Room is the best way for us to see a big concert without actually having to go IN to Chicago. It's relatively easy for us to get to as it's right off of the interstate as we head North. But yeah, I can see that having a venue that was actually IN Chicago would be a selling point for more locals showing up. But I know personally, I hate the jaunt to get to places like The House of Blues. I haven't really been to any other Chicago venues, though.

location doesn't matter to me for the actual concert, really... it's a pain traveling 2 hours by public transportation to get where you have to go, though. I'm fine with Mokena because it's comfortable. I'd be fine with the actual city because it's closer to the airport. At that point, I'd have to look at how expensive hotels are IN Chicago, as opposed to Mokena. After spending several hundred dollars on flights, I wouldn't want to spend obscene amounts on a hotel for one night, so that just might be the deciding factor.

For those of us that live several hours south of Chicago (me and pate), The Pearl Room is the best way for us to see a big concert without actually having to go IN to Chicago. It's relatively easy for us to get to as it's right off of the interstate as we head North. But yeah, I can see that having a venue that was actually IN Chicago would be a selling point for more locals showing up. But I know personally, I hate the jaunt to get to places like The House of Blues. I haven't really been to any other Chicago venues, though.

Exactly. I live in central Illinois and it is much easier for me to get to the Pearl Room. I can make it to the Pearl Room in 2 hours and 15 minutes. It takes an additional 30-45 minutes to get down town and then I have to fight the traffic and get reamed on parking. It cracks me up to hear people complain about having to travel 45 minutes to get to a show.

This thread is basically going to be split between the people who live downtown and the people who live anywhere else.

I hate the Pearl Rooms security as many of us do however every venue has it's problems. The House of Blues security is almost as bad. Despite that I will take a show at the Pearl Room over anything in the city any day. With the new 355 extension I can be there in 20 minutes. I don't have to deal with traffic heading down to that area nor do I have to deal with either finding a parking spot or paying up the ass to park my car. I don't go to many shows these days but bands that I'm on the fence over I tend to avoid if it involves a trip down to Chicago. Personally I think the Pearl Room offers a good compromise between the burbs and city venues, with the 355 extension most of us can be there in almost half the time and trekking down from the city to that venue is not to painful either.

Exactly. I live in central Illinois and it is much easier for me to get to the Pearl Room. I can make it to the Pearl Room in 2 hours and 15 minutes. It takes an additional 30-45 minutes to get down town and then I have to fight the traffic and get reamed on parking. It cracks me up to hear people complain about having to travel 45 minutes to get to a show.

This thread is basically going to be split between the people who live downtown and the people who live anywhere else.
+1 .. I'm a down-stater ... much prefer driving to Mokena than going into the city. The parking situation at places like The House of Blues sucks in comparison to places like The Pearl Room, and the traffic in general is much easier to deal with.

Britt

As an out-of-stater, I like the idea of having shows at places like The Pearl Room and J.J. Kelley's, because after driving 5 hours from Ohio, the last thing I want to do is dick around with Chicago traffic, try to find parking near the venue, etc.

I would drive from Cleveland to one of these venues to see a show if I had to. I can't say that I'd travel to see the same show at the HOB or the Metro.

I think people in the city are spoiled. ;)

Regarding the security there... I haven't heard any stories about the Pearl Room security that make it sound any worse than HOB security, or security at most of the other venues that I've witnessed. Even Center Stage in Atlanta, where ProgPower is held, has its moments of crappiness, and that's a place which is known for being very customer-friendly. Keep in mind that venues are privately-owned places, and you can't just do whatever the hell you want there -- and that's what security is for.

At that point, I'd have to look at how expensive hotels are IN Chicago, as opposed to Mokena. After spending several hundred dollars on flights, I wouldn't want to spend obscene amounts on a hotel for one night, so that just might be the deciding factor.

My suggestion is, crash at Chris or Rob's place. But don't throw wet toilet paper on the walls, or you will have the smack laid down upon you.

Didnt the security @ Exodus show have a valid claim? I thought there was a specific sign that said DO NOT STAGE DIVE and someone did?

I havent seen security at HOB do anything to anyone who didnt deserve it. The fact is that most security guys are fat out of shape losers who get off on having that power trip.

The good part about haivng shows in the city is like Jason said, you can do more after or before the show. There are tons of places to go to. When I lived in the burbs I used to hit a few record / book stores and lunch / diner on the way down. It was like killing two birds with one stone.

The biggest issue is that what has been said before. There are lots of city folk who dont have cars or rides out there. That being said, attendence could be better at some of the shows if at a club in the city.

I havent seen security at HOB do anything to anyone who didnt deserve it. The fact is that most security guys are fat out of shape losers who get off on having that power trip.

The good part about haivng shows in the city is like Jason said, you can do more after or before the show. There are tons of places to go to. When I lived in the burbs I used to hit a few record / book stores and lunch / diner on the way down. It was like killing two birds with one stone.

The biggest issue is that what has been said before. There are lots of city folk who dont have cars or rides out there. That being said, attendence could be better at some of the shows if at a club in the city.

For me, going to concerts in the city is all dependent on the venue. HOB is not a problem, I'm aware that at a show at HOB Im going to spend some good dough but at least I know that I wont have a problem finding parking (even if I have to pay for it) and I'll be home in less than an hour after the show.
The Metro however is a totally different story, going there on a weekeday during a Cubs game is something that I'll never do ever again.

Another example is the Double Door, there's nowhere to freaking park anywhere near there. The Aragon and Riv are other 2 venues where parking sucks. When I go there I always end up all the way down by the cementary.

For me, going to concerts in the city is all dependent on the venue. HOB is not a problem, I'm aware that at a show at HOB Im going to spend some good dough but at least I know that I wont have a problem finding parking (even if I have to pay for it) and I'll be home in less than an hour after the show.
The Metro however is a totally different story, going there on a weekeday during a Cubs game is something that I'll never do ever again.

Another example is the Double Door, there's nowhere to freaking park anywhere near there. The Aragon and Riv are other 2 venues where parking sucks. When I go there I alwaya end up all the way down by the cementary.

park in my neighboorhood for the Riv and Aragon. It isnt metered or need of a city sticker.

I definitely see both points.

For out of towners, Mokena might be preferable, due to cheaper hotels and less traffic...

Though I have seen bands post on their tour wrap ups that they hit Mokena and were a bit disappointed, thinking that the city was going to be more like Chicago...

Can someone please give directions from the 355 to the Pearl Room?
I have not traveled yet on the extension.
Do you take 355 South to the 80 West, I presume?
Where from there?
Thanks!

I have actually never had a problem with the security at the Pearl Room or the HOB. So I really don't have any complaints in that area.

I'm actually kind of interested about what the band reactions are going to be like after they play at The Pearl Room. Upcoming acts there include some of the biggest names in metal: Iced Earth, Nightwish, Helloween, and Amorphis. The last shows that they played in "Chicago", respectively, were at Metro, House of Blues, Vic Theater, and House of Blues. It seems like most of them would arrive at The Pearl Room, see the surroundings, the smaller stage, the smaller area from which the band can actually be seen, and say "huh? What happened here? Are we going backwards?" I wonder if they're booking shows there based on the capacity number, which might tell a different story than actually seeing the place in person? Then again, maybe the bands get a bigger chunk of the money at The Pearl Room, and then don't care a whit for anything beyond that.

heh...yeah, anytime I see a show booked at the Metro during the summer, the first thing I do is check to see if there's a Cubs game that day. The only one I've ever gone to was the aforementioned Helloween show at The Vic. Helloween in Chicago, and the Cubs in the playoffs: two things I never thought would happen in my lifetime, and they both happened ON THE SAME NIGHT!! Still, taking the L, it wasn't all that bad. Driving would be suicide.

Another example is the Double Door, there's nowhere to freaking park anywhere near there.

For the Double Door/Subterranean/The Note, I usually have pretty good luck in the residential area just west of Damen and a couple blocks south of North. It might be two or three blocks of walking, but that's nothing. The Blue Line is also good since the stop is RIGHT THERE, but I haven't taken that since it got crazy-slow.

The Aragon and Riv are other 2 venues where parking sucks. When I go there I always end up all the way down by the cementary.

Yeah, I always just head straight for Montrose along the cemetary. It's then a half-mile walk to the Riv, but I still get there a lot faster than if I was to waste time searching for parking anywhere else.

The Vic is the one that I've never really solved. I hear now that there is a parking garage right across the street, but I don't know about prices. I used to park at the hospital garage just south of the venue, but lately I've just been parking at my usual Metro spot (way up on Irving Park, again, by the cemetery). That makes it quite a trek, but at least it's predictable, and free.

Can someone please give directions from the 355 to the Pearl Room?

I think I heard somewhere that in a year or two, supposedly there are going to be these websites where you can type in two addresses, and it will tell you a route between the two places. It might even show you a picture of the map, and if we're really lucky, draw a line on it showing the route. That would be so awesome!!

Ok, ok, it was actually only recently that the 355 extension was added to Google Maps. 355 South to I-80 EAST, to US45/LaGrange Rd. south, and then you should know the rest.

Neil
Chicago Metal Travel Guru

For the Double Door/Subterranean/The Note, I usually have pretty good luck in the residential area just west of Damen and a couple blocks south of North. It might be two or three blocks of walking, but that's nothing.

Thanks for the tip, not being from the city I would of never known this stuff.

I'm actually kind of interested about what the band reactions are going to be like after they play at The Pearl Room. Upcoming acts there include some of the biggest names in metal: Iced Earth, Nightwish, Helloween, and Amorphis. The last shows that they played in "Chicago", respectively, were at Metro, House of Blues, Vic Theater, and House of Blues. It seems like most of them would arrive at The Pearl Room, see the surroundings, the smaller stage, the smaller area from which the band can actually be seen, and say "huh? What happened here? Are we going backwards?" I wonder if they're booking shows there based on the capacity number, which might tell a different story than actually seeing the place in person? Then again, maybe the bands get a bigger chunk of the money at The Pearl Room, and then don't care a whit for anything beyond that.

I saw that Athiest were not too happy with being in farm country. After last years Powerfest they post a review which they were very happy with the show but the surroundings were much to be desired. They thought themselves with it being called "Chicago" Powerfest that it was near the city.

I remember at the Angra show at Rileys, I was talking to the bass player and he was saying that he couldnt find the big tall buildings he has heard about. I told him that he was very far from the city. That this was just a suburb of the city. He was kind of bummed.