What is wrong with the Pearl Room?

MikeEckman

New Metal Member
Feb 9, 2006
Chicago Heights, IL
I have been to 3 events at the Pearl Room this year. The first was just a Pink Floyd cover band called Echoes of Pompeii, then both nights of Chicago Powerfest, and last night, I saw Candlemass and Daylight Dies. All 3 events had some type of issues.

Echoes of Pompeii had the fire alarms going off twice during the show. The first time, it took them around 10 minutes to get them off. I understand any fool can pull a fake alarm, but two in a row, and if it is happening, why didnt the people who own the place figure out a way to prevent this from happening.

During Powerfest there of course were the sound issues during Iced Earths set where the PA went out twice. I think it was Suidakra's set where one of the guitarist's monitors was out. And of course there was the poor planning of the small bathrooms for such a large venue. What really amazes me is that they had large bathrooms on the main floor behind those curtains which they finally opened on the second day. Its like they knew they were going to have a huge show, and purposely made people wait in a long line!! That's just poor planning if you ask me.

And then last night during Candlemass' set, the PA went out again. At least this time it only happened once and they fixed it maybe a minute later.

Still, for a professional type concert venue, this is unexcusable. I mean, I know things happen, but so far in 2008, they are 3 for 3 in screwing something up.

Whats the deal? Does anyone know why this place has had such trouble lately?

On another note, Candlemass rocked! Robert Lowe is a great replacement for Messiah Marcolin and I thought the band sounded great live. I was in heaven hearing At the Gallows End live!!!!!

Yeah .. they seem to have an issue every time out. At the Symphony X/Epica/Into Eternity show several weeks back, Into Eternity had their set ruined by non functioning microphones. I'm not sure if that was the venue's fault or not, but it does seem there are sound issues at every concert I attend there.

Agreed on Candlemass .. good show. Robert Lowe was quite good, but he kept having to read lyrics to the songs. He did a pretty good job of hiding it, but he knelt down a few times and flipped the page. I guess he doesn't have them all down yet. Candlemass's shirt selection was awful .. all of them looked cheap. I would have definately bought one had there been a decent looking one in the lot.

Britt

When I first saw Morbid Angel at The Pearl Room in 2005, I thought it was the best venue around. But everything I've seen there since has had some kind of technical difficulties and no need to comment on security. I remember at the Symphony X show last year, pieces of ceiling insulation were falling down and I hear the Vital Remains show prior the same thing was happening, only much worse. And whats weird about the PA situation is that it's always the headlining bands. Why if there was a problem would it be for the guys who have the longest time to set up and do sound checks?

200 sounds about right, it definitely was a small turnout, then again, I was amazed that there were 199 other people living somewhat near me who have even heard of Candlemass. It doesnt surprise me when a lot of people travel far distances for festivals because theyre usually the only opportunity to see a certain band, but on a tour like this, people are going to go to the nearest show. So, for there to be that many people, I guess it was good. Whether there could have been more or less, at least I got to stand pretty close to the stage and not fear a pit forming! :)

i really did want to see candlemass but in all honesty, i am under the impression that money wise i might afford 2 trips to chicago.

1 ive done
my 2nd 1 in mind is Helloween and Gamma Ray

moneywise i couldn't afford it.

And whats weird about the PA situation is that it's always the headlining bands. Why if there was a problem would it be for the guys who have the longest time to set up and do sound checks?

It's because the headliners draw harder from the power amps. Openers only get a small section of the sound board, basically whats left over that the headliner didn't use. All of the power amps are in a small room that is not cooled well. When the main band starts cranking it up the amps heat up and trip the circuit breaker and that kills all power to the speakers in the main room. The stage monitors run on a seperate set of power amps and circuit, that was why Iced Earth kept playing, they could hear themselves on stage and had no idea the sound was out. It's a cooling issue not a PA issue.

It's because the headliners draw harder from the power amps. Openers only get a small section of the sound board, basically whats left over that the headliner didn't use. All of the power amps are in a small room that is not cooled well. When the main band starts cranking it up the amps heat up and trip the circuit breaker and that kills all power to the speakers in the main room. The stage monitors run on a seperate set of power amps and circuit, that was why Iced Earth kept playing, they could hear themselves on stage and had no idea the sound was out. It's a cooling issue not a PA issue.
Very insightful, I never thought about the amount of heat a couple racks of power amps would produce. But if this is a chronic problem, don't you think the management should do something about it? or maybe just not drive the power amps so hard.

Very insightful, I never thought about the amount of heat a couple racks of power amps would produce. But if this is a chronic problem, don't you think the management should do something about it? or maybe just not drive the power amps so hard.

I was part of the sound crew for Powerfest so that's the only time I've worked with their equipment. I don't know if they are addressing the issue or not. They really need to regulate the temp in the power amp room, especially when it's a big show with alot of people, 1500 people vs 500 people makes a big differance.

Not to be nosey, here.

But it's quite simple to rig up a good fan system to funnel some strong airflow across the amps. I'd have to see how their gear is assembled and racked up. I've seen a venue that had a fair-sized industrial fan, maybe 18" diameter, mounted in a funnel-shaped particle-board enclosure. It was like using a megaphone to force air right at their amps. Putting your hand at the other side of the amps, that fan-funnel was hella-efficient. Kinda like those plastic ducts you can get for forcing air across a PC's mainboard to the CPU with a dedicated fan at the back of the housing.

I love awesome venues, so whenever I see issues I feel no regret in being very up-front and making suggestions to their owners. I tell them, because I want them to make their clubs better! Not cuz I'm bitchy or snobby or think I know everything about everything, because I want their club to be awesome. And that includes spotting flaws and fixing them.

I wish they would get a better beer selection. Bud and Miller :puke:

Off and on they will have Guinness. It's like a little game. You have to ask both the front bar and the back bar, because both with never have it simultaneously. Then there's picking the right bartender that will sometimes magically find ONE at the bottom of the cooler after they've said they didn't have any. :lol: