Ozzfest 2004 Review

USMC0341

Dead Cold Day
Apr 23, 2004
NY
www.deadcoldday.com
OK - here you all go (I'll only cover the bands I actually give a shit about):

2nd Stage started at 10 AM...Lacuna Coil opened up - chick has a great voice but the guy is annoying - their older shit is much more aggressive...newer stuff is more poppy

Unearth - These guys are dyed in the wool Thrash Metal fans...their music is rhythmically fairly technical - lot's of trips and quads and stops...singer has a cool scream that has some good toine. Awesome stage presence...they had the crowd going big time...

Lamb of God - TRUE AMERICAN METAL. These guys are no joke at all whatsoever...and they have 2 guitarists - which I love. Playing-wise...these guys are absolute animals. Rhythmically, they are unequalled right now in my opinion - their drummer is a frigging machine. Pick up their first album "New American Gospel" - the first track "Black Label" - it's just amazing how they can play that fast and every note is crystal clear. The singer has a very unique and malevolant sounding growl/scream...these guys are my current obsession...awesome stage show - high energy and they had the pit going nuts.

Hatebreed - Seen these guys before and they kick major ass. Jaime Jasta is an awesome frontman and he DEMANDS action from the crowd...he had the pit going in 45 seconds and put on an awesome show.

Slipknot - I used to hate these guys - but when Corey Taylor took a break from Slipknot and went back to his old band Stone Sour, I got the album and the guy is very talented - he can sing very well and he writes very good lyrics...so I went back and checked out some Slipknot stuff, and when their new one cam eout - I bought it. Some pretty good stuff - and as far as their stage show - these guys expend more energy than just about ANY band out there - non stop chaos the whole time

Main Stage

Black Label Society - Zakk Wylde's voice didn't have a good night - but his playing was insane. He also had some choice words for anyone who flies planes into buildings and dedicated his set to all the service men and women overseas - very cool...

Dimmu Borgir - Norwegian Black-metal. Music is pretty cool I get tired of all the leather and spikes and "evil" type stuff - Slayer don't even try to be evil anymore and they are more evil than anyone...

Superjoint Ritual - Phil Anselmo is a fucking asshole. All he did was talk incoherently - he's so fucked up on drugs now it's not even funny...their set was good, but he never should have left Pantera...

Slayer - FUCKING AWESOME!!!! These guys came out, ripped up the stage, kicked everyone's ass and then went to have a beer. Straight and to the point.

Judas Priest - My first time seeing them live, and they kicked some major ass. Anyone who thinks Halford is too old should wake up because they could probably hear his screams all the way down in Florida...they did a lot of classics and really got the crowd going.

Black Sabbath - Seeing Bill Ward, Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi and Ozzy on stage together was awesome...Ozzy's voice was a little rough the first song - but he warmed right up and sounded better than I have ever heard him - and Tony Iommi put on a clinic for EVERYONE at the show - he was so precise and on I couldn't believe it...fucking awesome...

Sidenotes - My buddy, my wife and I started "flagging" people around 10 AM or so - all the idiots pounding beers and smoking dope early in the day - so we're pointing them out - by 3 PM or so...we started seeing people passed out, puking or just looking like they were in a world of shit...plenty of entertainment while crappy bands were on...

JB

USMC0341 said:
2nd Stage started at 10 AM...Lacuna Coil opened up - chick has a great voice but the guy is annoying - their older shit is much more aggressive...newer stuff is more poppy
I watched them for about 10 mins hahaha They bored the shit outa me

USMC0341 said:
Main Stage

Black Label Society - Zakk Wylde's voice didn't have a good night - but his playing was insane. He also had some choice words for anyone who flies planes into buildings and dedicated his set to all the service men and women overseas - very cool...
I missed BLS to Meet Kerry King .......hahaha I'm still deciding if that was worth it
USMC0341 said:
Dimmu Borgir - Norwegian Black-metal. Music is pretty cool I get tired of all the leather and spikes and "evil" type stuff - Slayer don't even try to be evil anymore and they are more evil than anyone...
I fucking loved watching them! What did you think of Vortex's Clean Vocals? :D
USMC0341 said:
Superjoint Ritual - Phil Anselmo is a fucking asshole. All he did was talk incoherently - he's so fucked up on drugs now it's not even funny...their set was good, but he never should have left Pantera...
I was surprised Phil seemed Very Sober last week ..... what you got was what I expected
USMC0341 said:
Slayer - FUCKING AWESOME!!!! These guys came out, ripped up the stage, kicked everyone's ass and then went to have a beer. Straight and to the point.
:worship:
USMC0341 said:
Judas Priest - My first time seeing them live, and they kicked some major ass. Anyone who thinks Halford is too old should wake up because they could probably hear his screams all the way down in Florida...they did a lot of classics and really got the crowd going.
it was my Third time seeing but the first time seeing them with Halford! For me Personally they put on the BEST sho at Ozzfest!

USMC0341 said:
Black Sabbath - Seeing Bill Ward, Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi and Ozzy on stage together was awesome...Ozzy's voice was a little rough the first song - but he warmed right up and sounded better than I have ever heard him - and Tony Iommi put on a clinic for EVERYONE at the show - he was so precise and on I couldn't believe it...fucking awesome...
I'm not a big Sabbath fan But it was Nice to see them I can Die now :D

Fucking awesome show...all around...and Dimmu Borgir's singer has some very nice clean vocals...his evil stuff gets a little old though. From a musical standpoint - I like them a lot...

:D it was a Pretty good show got to see some Blood, Boobs, and Bands :D The Bass Player for Dimmu does the Clean Vocals .... I have been getting into the whole Black metal with good clean vox mixed in lately theres something enchanting about it .... You should check out some Vintersorg! :D

I didn't know the bassist did the clean vocals...that's pretty cool...and I've checked out Vintersorg - pretty cool stuff. I've been getting into a lot of Black Metall lately...also a lot of the Melodic DM stuff as well...but honestly - being a DIEHARD true Thrash fan...Lamb of God are the shit in my eyes as of right now. 100% American Thrash...Chris Adler is definitely one of the fastest and most talented drummers I have heard and seen play in quite some time. I was blown away by their stage show and I picked up both their albums and all I can say is - these guys fucking SMOKE 99% of the bands out there from a musician's point of view...unbelievable rhytms, tempo changes and all that...really good stuff and just what the Thrash scene needed...all that "poppy" stuff is fine and dandy...but these guys don't fuck around...

Simen (aka ICS Vortex) is the ex lead singer of Borknager, who have some decent albums out (The Archaic Course and Quintessence). Galder, the lead guitarist, is the man behind Old Man's Child, who are an excellent band. JohnnyD, I recommend you get Dimmu's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. Excellent!

As for Ozzfest, I fear I will have to miss it. I have seen every band that I wasnt to see on it numerous times and I would presonally rather buy a guitar than spend all the money for that. I would also have to buy my girlfriend's ticket and souveniers so the show would end up running me $300 by the end of the day.

I also heard rumor of a Judas Priest American tour after Ozzfest and prior to the new album so I'll see them then.

USMC0341 said:
I didn't know the bassist did the clean vocals...that's pretty cool...and I've checked out Vintersorg - pretty cool stuff. I've been getting into a lot of Black Metall lately...also a lot of the Melodic DM stuff as well...but honestly - being a DIEHARD true Thrash fan...Lamb of God are the shit in my eyes as of right now. 100% American Thrash...Chris Adler is definitely one of the fastest and most talented drummers I have heard and seen play in quite some time. I was blown away by their stage show and I picked up both their albums and all I can say is - these guys fucking SMOKE 99% of the bands out there from a musician's point of view...unbelievable rhytms, tempo changes and all that...really good stuff and just what the Thrash scene needed...all that "poppy" stuff is fine and dandy...but these guys don't fuck around...
I'v been getting into alot of Black/Viking/Folk Metal Lately .... One Giant Misconception I have noticed is that people think it is Evil hahaha its not hahaha Check out Borknagars Latest album "Epic" when its released good stuff! Have you Heard Suffocation Marine!?! AWSOME Technical Death Metal! ..... I dont own any Lamb of God ... But If you say they are that good I will Buy some and see for myself ..... if I remember correctly while they were on stage I was Getting stoned with some babes! hahahaha I have a Short attrention span hahaha ...... Hey Didnt Magnu-fie .. (or however you spell that) Just plain suck? :D They got on stage and we got lunch hahaha

Psychonaut said:
Simen (aka ICS Vortex) is the ex lead singer of Borknager, who have some decent albums out (The Archaic Course and Quintessence). Galder, the lead guitarist, is the man behind Old Man's Child, who are an excellent band. JohnnyD, I recommend you get Dimmu's Enthrone Darkness Triumphant. Excellent!

I would also have to buy my girlfriend's ticket and souveniers so the show would end up running me $300 by the end of the day.

I also heard rumor of a Judas Priest American tour after Ozzfest and prior to the new album so I'll see them then.
I'v Seen some OMC at the store I was wondering if they were worth picking up! ..... I have The Archaic Course and Quintessence and Empirism and While I reeeeeeeeeeeeeally do Like Vortex's Vocals I totally Like Vintersorg Better! I cant Wait for Epic to be released here! ..... As for Dimmu hahaha I still have a long way to go! I know up @ FYE they have Stormblast and Deathcult .... I will see if they can Order Enthrone Darkness Triumphant for me ..... hahahah I dont Blame ya for wanting to save some bucks its Damn expensive once they lock you in there.... and if you want to survive you have to buy their crap! .... As for Priest.... hahaha I cant wait for the next tour :D I could watch them a thousand times and be happy everytime ... Not that I'ma Huge Priest fan atleast when it comes to studio work but Live WOW :worship: :headbang:

Man, it sucks total ASS, that this year's Ozzfest... that FINALLY has more than one or two good bands on the bill... is skipping Canada altogether... fucking shit! :yell:

If there's a bright center to the Metal universe, Canada is the furthest thing from it! :yuk:

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Clammy said:
Man, it sucks total ASS, that this year's Ozzfest... that FINALLY has more than one or two good bands on the bill... is skipping Canada altogether... fucking shit! :yell:

If there's a bright center to the Metal universe, Canada is the furthest thing from it! :yuk:

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Yet antother Thing We Vermonters have In common with our Canadian Neibors(Cant Spell)hahahaha ............ I had to Travel for MANY hours to see that show