Ozzfest 2008 Announced?

LAWL@Ozzfest.

If there's a more mismanaged, continually disappointing festival out there, I have yet to hear about it.:lol:

Jack Koshick surely takes the cake here, as Stingray pointed out (aside from the early years).
Sounds of the Underground had a lot of organizational problems a few years ago.
....And who can forget.....the Evil Darkmess Tour? :lol:

I think they could have thought of a better place than Calgary to do this one-off show. Like maybe Toronto or Chicago? You know, something more central?

Jack Koshick surely takes the cake here, as Stingray pointed out (aside from the early years).
Sounds of the Underground had a lot of organizational problems a few years ago.
....And who can forget.....the Evil Darkmess Tour? :lol:

3 words,

Metal

Gods

Tour :lol:

Great line up, wouldn't mind seeing this near me but I am more than suped for Heaven and Hell, Judas Priest, Testament and Motorhead, now thats a fuckin summer tour!

but I am more than suped for Heaven and Hell, Judas Priest, Testament and Motorhead, now thats a fuckin summer tour!
Now that's what I'm talking about! :headbang: Every band (and then some) that I'd want to see on this "Monsters of Rock/Ozzfest" show/tour is already on that tour. And that tour actually comes somewhere remotely close to where I live (unlike this show and last year's Ozzfest). Plus, you get Heaven and Hell (the better version of Black Sabbath IMO) and Motorhead, who IMO is better than almost every other band on that "Monsters of Rock/Ozzfest" show combined.

Of course, a few of the bands on that Ozzfest bill (SERJ TANKIAN, CAVALERA CONSPIRACY, ZIMMERS HOLE) I have never even heard of, but that doesn't mean anything one way or the other, except that I wouldn't travel to Canada to see them.

Now that's what I'm talking about! :headbang: Every band (and then some) that I'd want to see on this "Monsters of Rock/Ozzfest" show/tour is already on that tour. And that tour actually comes somewhere remotely close to where I live (unlike this show and last year's Ozzfest). Plus, you get Heaven and Hell (the better version of Black Sabbath IMO) and Motorhead, who IMO is better than almost every other band on that "Monsters of Rock/Ozzfest" show combined.

Of course, a few of the bands on that Ozzfest bill (SERJ TANKIAN, CAVALERA CONSPIRACY, ZIMMERS HOLE) I have never even heard of, but that doesn't mean anything one way or the other, except that I wouldn't travel to Canada to see them.

Can understand not knowing who Zimmers Hole is but how do you not know who the other two are?

Serj= singer from System of a Down
Cavalera Conspiracy = Max and Igor Cavalera and the bassist from Gojira
Zimmer's Hole = Jed, Byron, and Gene from SYL

Good point! I'd love to see Serj play solo, as I love him from SOAD, but oh well. He's played ATL twice already, so I've had my chances. That said, I'll be going to see TESTAMENT!:headbang:

I was so disappointed the Evil Darkness Tour fell through....... :lol:

Sucks for all the smaller bands that wasted time sending press kits only for the guy behind it to fall off the face of the earth around Nov 2006. It's the last time the myspace was logged into and the website is gone. He still updates his livejournal though May 2007 is the last public entry (for some reason his archive lists his private entry posts though you can't view them). I mean, at least have the balls to say "Sorry, it's not happening" instead of just up and abandon it and act like nothing ever happened.

And Paul, looks like he attends Dragon*Con. You should stalk him down ;)

And Paul, looks like he attends Dragon*Con. You should stalk him down ;)

Oh, I've met him. For a year or two I hooked him and his, err, corporation up with a table to do remote broadcasts.
And, two years ago when Glenn attended D*C for a day, I surreptitiously showed Glenn who the redoubtable Mr. Clai was. :)

He wanted a table again this year, but we have no room in my area (it's just for performing bands' tables) and, since he's an, err, corporation, I had to tell him (quite correctly) that he didn't qualify for a fan-table over in the other hotel. :heh:

I gotta disagree. While I've never actually been to an Ozzfest (perhaps that diminishes my opinion on this matter though haha), those guys send 20 bands accross the country along with a gigantic crew and stage shit each year and even little micro attractions.

If you've never eaten poo, you probably wouldn't advocate it... :saint:
20 bands and gigantic crew and stage setup is part of just about every festival out there; doesn't make it good or even tolorable.

For a festival to do that and make the bank that Ozzfest made is a prettay difficult thing. Keep in mind how much of a huge hastle it is to do all that, not to mention how much money it costs.

See above. You can have the money and the bands and the set-up and the sponsors...but it doesn't change the fact that most of your bands suck because they're overhyped flavor-of-the-month record industry diarrhea.
Beyond that, the reason they make the bank is because they're overpricing everything. They sell $80 dollar tickets, $50 tee shirts, and $10 beers.

$10 beers...that's just rude.

So... mismanaged? Not really, when that kind of money is being spent, everything has to be absolutely perfect... for obvious reasons.

Stop me if you've heard this before...Okay:
Ever heard the one about the show's puppetmaster (that would be one Sharon Osbourne) sabotaging the only band worth seeing (that would be one Iron Maiden) by fucking with the electrical equipment and throwing eggs during their set???
That goes so far beyond mismanagement, far beyond professionalism...and most assuredly beyond "absolutely perfect."

Even though I do give Koshick some props for putting together lineups in the 90s that made Wacken cry for mercy, that dude as of the last few years is the epitome of the greedy fuckup, so yeah +1 to Stingray.

Agreed. I concede...but Ozzfest still blows hearty chunks IMO. :lol:

$10 beers...that's just rude.

This is the only thing past the first 2 lines i read of your post, but i fully endorse the entire post based on this single line.

Hopefully there's no Final Solution banter in there... i don't want people to think i'm a nazi just because i love beer and hate $10 beer... unless it's delicious $10 beer that's actually worth $10....

Um, there's those of us here that are old enough to remember that there actually was a MONSTERS OF ROCK tour (a few of them actually) and they had good bands on them.

I wonder how Ozzy can legitimately use a Monsters of Rock title? Any ideas?

Um, there's those of us here that are old enough to remember that there actually was a MONSTERS OF ROCK tour (a few of them actually) and they had good bands on them.

How can you possibly say that this year's Monsters of Rock doesn't have good bands?

Also, my guess is the people who put on the first ones wanted to get back in the game, and who better to headline a festival called "Monsters of Rock" than the biggest name in metal ever (well aside from Metallica)

Can understand not knowing who Zimmers Hole is but how do you not know who the other two are?
The answer lies below ...
Serj= singer from System of a Down
Cavalera Conspiracy = Max and Igor Cavalera and the bassist from Gojira
Zimmer's Hole = Jed, Byron, and Gene from SYL
Don't like/listen to System of a Down.
Don't like/listen to Gojira.
Like some Strapping Young Lad, but more of a fan of Devin Townsend (and I doubt he's involved in Zimmer's Hole, except maybe if he's on the production side of things).

I did actually see Zimmer's Hole listed on the Jaxx website the other day and I heard one of my friends mention them the same day as well. Have not heard anything by them though, although from my friends comment about a song title that was something about someone's dick I remain a bit skeptical.
<<< was wondering the same
I have yet to find an official site about the original Monster's of Rock festival/tour in my searches, but here's a link to the Wikipedia entry (the most comprehensive single source on the subject that I'd found thus far). Check the years for 1996 and 1997, that seems to be where the Ozzy/Ozzfest involvement began, although Ozzy did play the festival a few times before that (performing in 1984 and headlining 1986).
How can you possibly say that this year's Monsters of Rock doesn't have good bands?
Because people are allowed to have opinions. I personally see very few good bands on this bill that are worth as much money as it would require to attend this show. Some might (and do) say the same about ProgPower - again, opinion.
who better to headline a festival called "Monsters of Rock" than the biggest name in metal ever (well aside from Metallica)
Or Iron Maiden ... the biggest name in metal EVER ... at least the biggest name that actually still writes decent new material instead of just living off of their hey-day material or writing mediocre new material! :headbang:

Don't like/listen to Gojira.
Only one member is from Gojira. Max and Igor Cavalera have achieved their fame through a little band called Sepultura.

Because people are allowed to have opinions. I personally see very few good bands on this bill that are worth as much money as it would require to attend this show. Some might (and do) say the same about ProgPower - again, opinion.
Fair enough.
Not liking Priest, Testament, and Voivod is a fucking retarded opinion though :lol:

Or Iron Maiden ... the biggest name in metal EVER ... at least the biggest name that actually still writes decent new material instead of just living off of their hey-day material or writing mediocre new material! :headbang:
Maiden might be better, but Ozzy is still more well-known. Maybe if they had a reality TV show about Bruce and crew they would finally become a household name.

I think Metallica is way more well known than Maiden, and tr00 metal cred/relevance sadly has little to do with people associating something with metal. And i think with most metalheads, Metallica and Maiden are both at a point where neither trumps the other. Just nitpicking, but as far as name recognition goes, i think in general Metallica will win every time. Who's the better band? That's up to debate.... and anyone who says Metallica is a fag :lol:

Maiden might be better, but Ozzy is still more well-known. Maybe if they had a reality TV show about Bruce and crew they would finally become a household name.

Pardon me whilst I digress somewhat from the topic of Ozzfest:

Dude.
In my entire LIFE I have never met a single person who has never heard of Iron Maiden.
Not a single one.
I met a mentally handicapped kid a few years back who couldn't tie his own damn shoes and he knew who Iron Maiden was (liked 'em, too). :p

While Bruce Dickinson may not be a household name per se, at least he and the band are as well-known as they are because they make awe-inspiring, rectum-shredding metal. :kickass:

On the flipside, more people these days know Ozzy as the shuffling, muttering boob of reality TV.
Black Sabbath is considered by many to be the forefather of the doom genre, the guy pissed on the fucking Alamo; and here he is in a track suit doing the Macarena at baseball games to the delight of midwestern soccer moms who proclaim how adorable he is before they switch the channel to the Home Shopping Network. :Smug:

Oh, and the reason Bruce and co. won't ever have a reality show is because they have a bountiful quantity of this stuff called "integrity." :lol:

Only one member is from Gojira. Max and Igor Cavalera have achieved their fame through a little band called Sepultura.
While I would have to say I probably like Sepultura more than Gojira, they are another band I never really got that into. So this still does not make Cavalera Conspiracy a winner for me personally as far as drawing power.
Fair enough.
Not liking Priest, Testament, and Voivod is a fucking retarded opinion though :lol:
I'm sure you probably have already noticed my thoughts on this posted further above on this thread, but just in case - those are all bands (minus Voivod, who I personally am lukewarm towards) that are supposed to be touring together as one package, so my point was why bother paying to go to a festival (with a bunch of other crap) when I can catch just the "good bands" on their own tour when it comes near where I live.
:Smug: I can already hear Maiden fans shrieking in horror around the globe at the mere thought of something like this. :lol: Besides I think Maiden is more about having real fans who appreciate them for the quality of their writing and performances, not just gathering sheep who learn and conform to what's popular because it's fed to them through MTV or reality television. Oh wait, that's the same thing.