"P.S., next week you have to take the English comps in order to graduate"

xfer

I JERK OFF TO ARCTOPUS
Nov 8, 2001
New York City
www.geocities.com
ummm so after spending the semester being told that I have fulfilled my comprehensive exam requirement by doing my thesis thing, I just got an email from my advisor telling me that, due to the slightly different nature of my degree (MAT versus MEd), I have to take the English comps next week to graduate (the thesis only fulfilled the EDUCATION comps).

I replied immediately asking her something along the lines of "what the fuck are the english comps and what is on the test" and she promised to leave me a packet of information in her office, but I went by there and nothing. her staff said she is away for 8 days on a conference and was so hectic the morning she left, it probably didn't get left.

nobody else at the school knows anything about these comps (she is also the head of the department). her staff directed me to the one other person who might know, and she said she had no clue and directed me back to my advisor's staff.

soooo um i have to take some kind of huge english test next week and I have NO IDEA what it will be like, what's on it, etc. just that it's 3 hours and "textual analysis".

(today I also got another letter--the second in two months--from BC today cheerily informing me that "the comps are waived for MEd and MAT candidates if you do a thesis!" They mean [but did not mention] that they mean ONLY THE EDUCATION comps, not "the comps" in general. I wonder if anyone else is going to end up totally fucked by this?)

what the fuck is on an english comp and how do I prepare!!11

call the dean of students and insist they find someone to help you with it. throw a fucking fit. seriously, that's wacked considering how much college costs.

alex, who cares if you cause trouble? and it's not causing trouble to ask what's on a test you have no choice but to take. MILQUETOAST

i emailed like 10 secretaries in english and ed departments and one of them was like "i think we have a sample test here" so i'm gonna check out that office ASAP.

sh's actually really great. i shouldn't have emailed her the day before her conference and expected her to make me a packet. (she replied to my email today and apologized profusely--packet will be available Monday! she's having someone else do it)