Pagan Altar's status?

Anyone who seriously thinks that Pagan Altar doesn't fit with Heathen Crusade deserves a cock punch.

Maybe musically, they seem out of place with the current folk / pagan / viking scene.

Though from a lyrical / image content perspective, they fit perfectly (as do many bands from that era).

I think it would be a great move for this fest to branch out to a band like Pagan Altar as it would bring in a whole other fan base.

LOL @ Pagan Altar not having name recognition.

Fuck I am so sick of this Pagan Metal trend. Last thing I want is a bunch of paganfest whores at this show.

How the hell does "heathen" have anything to do with the occult and Satanism?

Heathen (from dictionary.com)
–noun
1. an unconverted individual of a people that do not acknowledge the God of the Bible; a person who is neither a Jew, Christian, nor Muslim; pagan.
2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
–adjective
3. of or pertaining to heathens; pagan.

Sounds like it fits to me.

Fuck I am so sick of this Pagan Metal trend. Last thing I want is a bunch of paganfest whores at this show.

I don't see why there would be any more "paganfest whores" at this show as opposed to the last two. Eluveitie isn't on the bill, fortunately.

swizzlenuts said:
Heathen (from dictionary.com)
–noun
1. an unconverted individual of a people that do not acknowledge the God of the Bible; a person who is neither a Jew, Christian, nor Muslim; pagan.
2. an irreligious, uncultured, or uncivilized person.
–adjective
3. of or pertaining to heathens; pagan.

Sounds like it fits to me.

Alright then. My opinion differs, as I view the word "heathen" as typically describing pre-Christian polytheistic beliefs.

I made the statement based on a few things, Myspace numbers(plays, friends, views), lastfm plays, and when a torrent was released on a certain message board, it died pretty fast compared to the arkona ones. I figured those were a pretty good metric, but prove me wrong. I've heard pagan altar over the years, but if they were some kind of legends of the genre, I must've missed something. >.>

Also, whats a paganfest whore?

I made the statement based on a few things, Myspace numbers(plays, friends, views), lastfm plays, and when a torrent was released on a certain message board, it died pretty fast compared to the arkona ones. I figured those were a pretty good metric, but prove me wrong. I've heard pagan altar over the years, but if they were some kind of legends of the genre, I must've missed something. >.>

you cant judge a bands fanbase by internet talk alone. At the Alehorn fest in chicago a few years back...people were talking up Manilla Road and Slough Feg for months before like it was the second coming of Christ. At showtime....maybe 100 people for Slough Feg and 50 for Manilla Road. From internet hype alone you would have thought they would have sold the place out.

While I am not a fan of Pagan Alter....they would definetly bring in tons more people who would not normally go to the fest and bring people in who are on the fence. While I would rather see Arkona....Pagan Alter would draw more.

I think a lot of people have problems with the bands on pagan fest drawing a huge crowd. Personally, I'd rather see those bands get big then any copycat metalcore band anyday.

I dunno, but I don't see a problem with, i dunno, bands playing Heathen getting popular and playing the states more. Who thought Ensiferum and Turisas were going to pack venues across the states a few years ago when the only thing selling were all the core bands? I can see Moonsorrow doing it next.

You're not exactly going to find a lot of last fm and myspace shit on a band like Pagan Altar. They're a band of a totally different generation who prefers the physical options of music over the digital options. They're not a web 2.0 band...

And a paganfest whore is essentially anyone who now considers themselves the say all end all of pagan/folk metal because they added Eluvetie on myspace and suddenly went on Kerrazy Torrents and downloaded everything labeled "PAGAN FOLK LOLLERXXXXSSS!!!"... or searched into mininova "PAGAN METAL LOLLERSXXXXSSS!!!" and found a bunch of trend whore circle jerk bands such as Wintersun... and now worship them as if they were gods.

Also, I'd like to point out I wouldn't mind if Arkona were to be on the bill, I think they're absolutely awesome... but when you have bands such as Pagan Altar, Root, Morrigan, and Mael Mordha on a list of bands willing the play the show, FUCK ARKONA.

You're not exactly going to find a lot of last fm and myspace shit on a band like Pagan Altar. They're a band of a totally different generation who prefers the physical options of music over the digital options. They're not a web 2.0 band...

I agree with this 100%
Pagan Altar have a cult following.
Fans of this band are ones who actively seek out finding any CD / vinyl they can.

Maybe I am too old, but I can never fully buy into promoters (and I know some do) who go only by My Space hits to predict how a band will draw.
Diabolik made a great point above. There are many shows of bands where you would think 500 + would attend, and it just doesn't happen.

In the end, it comes down to advertising and promotion.
Very few shows / tours / fests are as simple as "book them and they will come" (aside from Wacken, etc).

It might be worth mentioning that HC is trying to increase headcount this year. I presume that the folks who would have shown for Arkona are already turning up for Moonsorrow and Ancient Rites.

It might be worth mentioning that HC is trying to increase headcount this year. I presume that the folks who would have shown for Arkona are already turning up for Moonsorrow and Ancient Rites.

Glad to see some folks around here get it!

Same reason why a fest like Prog Power has Amorphis as a headliner.
Having a band like Kamelot (just as one example) wouldn't bring anyone new in addition to those already most likely attending.

Pagan Altar may musically seem like an "oddball" choice, though not completely out of the realm for a fest like this. Though, and most importantly, they are "oddball" enough to possibly bring in an extra 50 to 100 attendees. Furthermore, this should please the bands, as they would get to play in front of a group of fans that might not have otherwise seen them.

^Agreed, although I think anything beyond 20-25 people showing up for PA is optimistic. Still, it's better than 0 which is what Arkona would bring.