Pagan Metal

whata57

Aug 2, 2007
Does anyone else here like pagan metal such as Moonsorrow/Ensiferum/kiuas (all finnish of course, all the best metal comes from scandinavia)?
I've recently been really getting into it.

Pagan Metal is a genre I have a few brushings with, via Borknagar especially. I can imagine the transition will be easier given my affinity for a broad range of black metal styles. Any recommendations for a Borknagar fan?

Pagan Metal is a genre I have a few brushings with, via Borknagar especially. I can imagine the transition will be easier given my affinity for a broad range of black metal styles. Any recommendations for a Borknagar fan?

Well as that guy above me said,Primordial is awsome. I dont know if they will suit exactly Borknagar fans but give them a go. Unless you have heard them already,they are pretty well known after all.
Their later stuff reminds a lot of viking era Bathory.

hellz yeahz!

thyrfing, turisas, moonsorrow, bathory... good call on kiuas too.

that reminds me, i gotta put my thyrfing gatefold back on the wall
~gR~

Does anyone else here like pagan metal
Yes.
such as Moonsorrow/Ensiferum/kiuas
No.

The Eastern European/Russian scene seems most promising when it comes to this style, which is probably the most interesting and full of potential when it comes to "new" styles. Most bands named Arkona or Veles are at least decent, Родовест, Žrec, Butterfly Temple (et al.), anything with RAC leanings such as Русич or Сокира Перуна, even more ambitious stuff like Zpoan Vtenz. That whole region, pagan stuff aside, is where I do most of my new music explorations and the good:Ensiferum ratio is refreshing.

The Celtic style with Primordial, Griffar and others doesn't seem bad either.

The best I've come across from the Eastern European region has to be Kroda. Fantastic stuff, but I will admit that I far prefer the Northern European and Celtic style bands such as Manegarm, Eluveitie, Falkenbach, Geasa, Glittertind, Hantaoma, Aes Dana, Heol Telwen, Storm, Otyg, etc.

Primordial however stands out as the best of it all.

Yes.
. Most bands named Arkona or Veles are at least decent, Родовест, Žrec, Butterfly Temple (et al.), anything with RAC leanings such as Русич or Сокира Перуна, even more ambitious stuff like Zpoan Vtenz.

Hell yes. These bands are what I think of as 'Pagan metal'. Butterfly Temple are probably my favorite of the lot

I'm curious about this kind of metal, but...

for example... pagan metal, is that similar to folk metal at all, or vice versa? And do the bands generally play some kind of black metal? I don't know if I'll have enough time to check out all the bands mentioned here to find out.

I have Obtest's new album & nothing brings Vikings to mind more than this album. I can just imagine a bunch of jolly Vikings sittins around a campfire drinking wine & telling jokes after they just got done raping & pillaging a small Indian village. It's what Vikings would listen to this day in age if there were any :p

Yes.

No.

The Eastern European/Russian scene seems most promising when it comes to this style, which is probably the most interesting and full of potential when it comes to "new" styles. Most bands named Arkona or Veles are at least decent, Родовест, Žrec, Butterfly Temple (et al.), anything with RAC leanings such as Русич or Сокира Перуна, even more ambitious stuff like Zpoan Vtenz. That whole region, pagan stuff aside, is where I do most of my new music explorations and the good:Ensiferum ratio is refreshing.

The Celtic style with Primordial, Griffar and others doesn't seem bad either.

I don't even know how I can possibly Google names like that. Do I have a backwards 'N' on my keyboard anywhere?