Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
This band is for two different types of metal fans...

First this is a prog-metal band that is not completely unlike older Queensryche and Dream Theater. The vocalist has a very good range and sings with a high voice mostly, but gets to a growl at times as well. The songs are well written and the band uses a good deal of backing vocals to thicken their sound as well as playing a couple of instrumentals on the CD. The drummer and lead guitarist are flat out elite which brings me to the second type of metal fan......

Musicians (especially guitarists and drummers) and fans that appreciate brilliant musicians will like this band. As I said above, the drummer and lead guitarist are elite and I am not being mild here. Jorn Viggo Lofstat (guitarist) seperates himself from other modern guitarists by doing two things: First, he actually focuses on his right hand technique (right-handed guitarist) as much as his left hand. In other words, his phrasing and picking style is absolutely equal to any guitarist I have heard out there in metal. Secdondly, he "writes" solos to sound good, not just to be technically challenging. While his solos do have their share of wizardry in them, Lofstat doesn't mind playing a simple pentatonic scale or single note with bending and vibrato when it fits and sounds good in the solo. He simply writes great solos that are memorable. He doesn't overplay either and cloud up the music with unnecessary wankery.
Stian (Kristoffersen,) the drummer is also at a technical level few drummers can hang with. I am a guitarist and can't really speak technically about his work behind the kit as far as musical terms but I know enough about it in my 35 years of life to know he has mastered his trade. He is an oustanding drummer and I am completely blown away by his licks even after hearing them over and over again.

Bryant