Underrated musicians in metal.....

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Who do you think were looked over as bad-ass musicians ?

1) Wolf Hoffmann - Accept - Believe me... someone else on this forum may put him up high on this list as well. Wolf was/is a God on guitar.

2) Phil Rudd - AC/DC - If any drummers out here think Rudd era AC/DC is an easy "starter" then you are wrong. He is an "in the pocket" drummer, but sometimes his "simplicity" fools you. He is doing magic behind that set. If you listen close enough, you will hear stuff you never heard before.

3) Francis Bucholz - Scorpions - The Scorps are known for the twin guitar attack and the vocals of Klaus, but Francis was a monster bassist who knew when to play in the pocket and back up the guitars and when to unload a riff or two.

4) Tony Martin - Black Sabbath - When you have to follow Ozzie and Ronnie James, it is tough to get respect, but Tony Martin is as good of a vocalist as there has ever been in metal music.

Honorable mention........ Jorn Viggo Lofstat - Pagans Mind - I mentioned "oldschool" guys on this post, but I can never make a post that involves a guitarist without mentioning Mr. Lofstat. He may quietly be the best guitarist I have ever seen in my life.

Bryant

Hell yeah Bryant, I agree on all your counts! :headbang:
I'd like to add Mark Reale of Riot (one of the best hard'n'heavy guitarists I've ever heard) and especially Van Williams of Nevermore.

Wolf Hoffmans playing and tone - :worship:

The first person that comes to mind for me is Matthias Jabs of the Scorps. He is rarely mentioned in great guitar player lists (and if he is, it's almost always near the bottom). He had big shoes to fill with Micheal Schenker and Uli Jon Roth as predecessors, but I think he did well in that category. His solos are just as melodic and emotional as Schenkers, but he gets no credit for it (possibly because he came along for their more commercial, less groundbreaking albums).

Agree on Tony Martin and Mark Reale

Phil Campbell - Almost 25 years with Motorhead and people still think more about Fast Eddie Clarke, he is a good guitar player and had contributed a lot to the band all thse years

Jimmy Bain - Played a mean bass for both Rainbow and Dio but he's seldom mentioned

Brian Downey - one of the most accomplished drummers I've ever listen to, but it seems that nobody shone in the shadow Phil Lynott cast upon Thin Lizzy as his frontman.

Scott Gorham & Brian Robertson - see above, very underrated guitar players. Just check 'Emerald' and you'll see what the world has missed.

Ian Hill - Over 30 years playing bass for Judas Priest, he may be not technical or astounding, he never composed for the band, but silently he had driven through 6 drummers the rhythm section of the almighty (minus "Nostradamus") Priest :D

more will come as I recall them

The Wolf - fast as a shark!

I'd say Chris Holmes but everyone already knows he's bad-ass ;)

Can't think of anyone else right now...

1) Wolf Hoffmann - Accept
2) Phil Rudd - AC/DC
3) Francis Bucholz - Scorpions
4) Tony Martin - Black Sabbath

Couldn't agree more, especially with Rudd. The guy was a human metronome, and I know so many good local drummers who have a hell of a time playing his stuff.
Martin, technically speaking, was the best singer Sabbath ever had.

Here are a few others:
Tony Mills - Shy/Siam/TNT - England's answer to Geoff Tate. A great voice and songwriter.

Joey Vera - Fates Warning/Armored Saint - Simply a great bassist (very tasteful) and songwriter.

Michael Sweet - Stryper/Boston - A good guitarist and jaw-dropping singer. He's rarely mentioned when it comes to metal's greatest singers, but he was certainly up there.

Carl Albert - Vicious Rumours / Ruffians - Such a shame he passed away at such a young age and never made it big. The song Lady Took a Chance is a great example of his range, power and tenacity as a singer.

Jim Matheos - Fates Warning - Incredibly tasteful yet intricate guitar work. The only way I can describe a lot of his brilliant songwriting and guitar work is "complexity within simplicity".

Honorable mentions: Tom Calandra (Z-Lot-Z), Rich Ward - (Fozzy / Stuck Mojo), Ken Orth (Wycked Synn).

I could add another 10 to the list, but that'll do.

Ian Hill - Over 30 years playing bass for Judas Priest, he may be not technical or astounding, he never composed for the band, but silently he had driven through 6 drummers the rhythm section of the almighty (minus "Nostradamus") Priest :D

Huh? That guy is a joke. He's never wrote a riff or melody in his life, he just follows along with the guitars. I'll give him credit for stamina, longevity and reliability, but he's barely a musician, let alone and underrated one. His playing bores me to death.

I'll agree with you on all the Thin Lizzy mentions though! :)

maybe not metal but everyone in TESLA is underrated as hell. buy the new dvd they just released and you'll see what i mean

Huh? That guy is a joke. He's never wrote a riff or melody in his life, he just follows along with the guitars.

Actually he follows the bass drum, but if you read carefully I was commending his silent (pun intended) but constant work with the band throughout all the changes, highs and lows. Most bands probaly would have kicked him out long ago.

Lil Frank - vocalist of Push Come II Shove, extremely hight pitched wailer, but incredible distinctive

Tony Franklin - astounding bass player who had being with everyone from The Firm to Blue Murder, from Tony MacAlpine to Lana Lane, seldom mentioned IMO

Nick Menza - the best drummer Megadeth ever had and an unstoppable machine, I believe he never got the deserved recognition

Pete Willis - IMO the best guitar Def Leppard had, sadly kicked out of the band, maybe if he had stay (specially sober) things would have been different.

Nick Menza - the best drummer Megadeth ever had and an unstoppable machine, I believe he never got the deserved recognition

A shame he wasnt able to still play the material. He rehearsed with Dave a few times before the system has failed tour but apparently he couldnt keep it together. Come to think of it I dont know if it was the drumming or if he had some personal issues but he didnt make the band.

blaze bayley? i thought he was a very good vocalist, but is usually on the recieving end of crap being thrown at maiden if its not about their most recent albums.

blaze is a great singer. his 4 solo albums are better than the 3 new maiden albums with bruce. check out his brand new album "the man who wouldn't die"

Actually he follows the bass drum, but if you read carefully I was commending his silent (pun intended) but constant work with the band throughout all the changes, highs and lows. Most bands probaly would have kicked him out long ago.

Lil Frank - vocalist of Push Come II Shove, extremely hight pitched wailer, but incredible distinctive

Tony Franklin - astounding bass player who had being with everyone from The Firm to Blue Murder, from Tony MacAlpine to Lana Lane, seldom mentioned IMO

Pete Willis - IMO the best guitar Def Leppard had, sadly kicked out of the band, maybe if he had stay (specially sober) things would have been different.

A shame he wasnt able to still play the material. He rehearsed with Dave a few times before the system has failed tour but apparently he couldnt keep it together. Come to think of it I dont know if it was the drumming or if he had some personal issues but he didnt make the band.

i disagree, gar was the best drummer megadeth ever had. if you get the new remastered KIMB you can hear crazy drum parts you never knew were there.

nick rehearsed a few years ago but was still recouping from kneee surgery and on top of that was unfamiliar with TSHF material and a few of the older songs dave was pulling out

You´ve said a lot of them. I´ll agree with many and add a few more:

MARK REALE: Simply. The mainman from (IMO) the 2nd best metal band ever, RIOT.:worship: :worship:

STEVE "Dr. Killdrums" WACHOLZ: Everyone praises Jon and Criss (well deserved, both genious), even Caffery adn Zak, but Dr. Killdrums is a drum metal machine. Besides, SAVATAGE, best band ever. :worship:

DAN SWANO: This guy is overwhelming. Tons of project among brutal death and progressive metal, excellent producer, songwriter and lyricist. Check EDGE OF SANITY song "Twilight". A perfect tune!

WOLF HOLFMANN: You´ve said it all.

SCOTT GORHAM and ROBBO ROBERTSON: Gary Moore? :lol: Best twin guitars in hard rock. Listen them and after that, Murray-Smith. Where did the Maiden guitarist get their "influences" from?

HARRY "the Tyrant" CONKLIN: Jag Panzer singer. Besides Glenn Hughes, best vocalist I´ve ever seen live. :headbang:

MARK "the Shark" SHELTON: Manilla Road mainman. One the most underated bands. Albums like "Crystal logic" or "Open the gates" are hidden jewels.

ROB ROCK: What a singer! M.A.R.S., Impellitery, Angelica, Joshua, Axel Rudy Pell, Driver, solo albums,... brilliant!

ANDY LAROCQUE: King Diamond eternal mate. In my opinion, King Diamond guitar sound is unbeatable, almost perfect for a metal band. Andy is the prince!

LEIF EDLING: Candlemass mainman and bass player. He composed "Samarithan", "At the gallows end", "A sorcerer´s pledge", "Solitude",... Need I say more?

Huh? That guy is a joke. He's never wrote a riff or melody in his life, he just follows along with the guitars. I'll give him credit for stamina, longevity and reliability, but he's barely a musician, let alone and underrated one. His playing bores me to death.

I wouldn't say he's a joke. He's a hack that knows that he's part of a good thing. He's smart, average player that's wealthy as a result...
Wait a minute... Are you saying bass players are barely musicians?!

You´ve said a lot of them. I´ll agree with many and add a few more:

MARK REALE: Simply. The mainman from (IMO) the 2nd best metal band ever, RIOT.:worship: :worship:

DAN SWANO: This guy is overwhelming. Tons of project among brutal death and progressive metal, excellent producer, songwriter and lyricist. Check EDGE OF SANITY song "Twilight". A perfect tune!

WOLF HOLFMANN: You´ve said it all.
Now you mention it, I've always accredited Dan Swano as a great inspiration on my guitar playing. Good call, Marco.

Some other great choices there too! Sorry, I didnt quote them all

i disagree, gar was the best drummer megadeth ever had. if you get the new remastered KIMB you can hear crazy drum parts you never knew were there.

I know even Dave praise Gar, but Nick is the drummer for Megadeth IMO. As for the remaster of KIMB I had it for a time but I was so pissed Dave backed off and cut down 'These Boots' that I trade it and kept the original one. The prodcution is good enough for me and has also sentimental reasons.

NP: Benedcitum - 'Beast In The Field'

The first person that comes to mind for me is Matthias Jabs of the Scorps. He is rarely mentioned in great guitar player lists (and if he is, it's almost always near the bottom). He had big shoes to fill with Micheal Schenker and Uli Jon Roth as predecessors, but I think he did well in that category. His solos are just as melodic and emotional as Schenkers, but he gets no credit for it (possibly because he came along for their more commercial, less groundbreaking albums).
+10.... i alwyas thought he was underrated as well as Dave Murray and Adrian Smith...

Don't forget his work with Bloodbath... his best work imo... :kickass:

Here's a couple of my underrated choices:

Nicholas Barker - Loved his drum work with Dimmu Borgir and Old Man's Child

George Lynch - He never gets his dues imo for his work with Dokken

I know even Dave praise Gar, but Nick is the drummer for Megadeth IMO. As for the remaster of KIMB I had it for a time but I was so pissed Dave backed off and cut down 'These Boots' that I trade it and kept the original one. The prodcution is good enough for me and has also sentimental reasons.

NP: Benedcitum - 'Beast In The Field'

Dave didnt decide to scap "these boots". It was for legal reasons I believe. It is a cover and they changed the lyrics which wasnt popular with the original artist or whoever owned the song. I have both the remastered and the reguar version of KIMB. The original is a late press and they removed it alltogether. The remastered one basically has a intrumental version of the song (I believe some parts of the vocals are still present).