Who is the most underrated musician ?

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Yeah I am a guitar player, but I am a listener. The reason I became a musician is because I wanted to play guitar like Wolf Hoffmann. After twenty years of trying, I still can't. However, I don't have a "musician's" ear because I am a musician. I have a musician's ear because I listen.
Everyone here knows a musician they like that no one else recognizes as a kick ass player. Mine is Francis Bulcholz former bassist of The Scorpions. He kicked ass, but never got props. His tone was incresdible as was his chops.

Bryant

Bud Burrill, drummer of Culprit, maybe not the most underrated musician ever, but well in the top 10 I think. the Album Guilty as Charged has some of the best metal drumming ever I think (as well as some killer songs!)

I was going to say Dan Swano, but it's his own fault he's not more popular I think. I say that because he rarely tours, certainly very rare in the last 10 years at least. Also, he's got a large cult fan base thanks to his involvement in so many projects. Another artist who is still building a fan base even though he's over 40 is Arjen Anthony Lucason of the Ayreon.

Christian Agustin: Sortilege vocalist, a great talent rarely mentioned

Brian Downey: Thin Lizzy drummer, one of the best musicians on a drum kit ever IMO

Tony Franklin: excellent bass player with a wonderful phrasing and technique. Worked with lots of welllnown musicians, but rarely is mentioned by his own merits.

Martin Walkyier: not my prefered type of singer, but the ex-Sabbat, ex-Skyclad is one of the wittiest lyricist I have ever read. Even to those not into folk/metal I recommend to read his lyrics which are truly delightful works of the English language and the "weird" British humor.

D.D. Verney(spelling?) - great bassist....love him on The Years of Decay...espicially Skull Crusher and Time to Kill

Jeff Waters - great guitarist....kind of went down hill after Never, Neverland but got good again with Criteria for a Black Widow and Carnival Diablos. Havent heard much of the new one? can ne1 fill me in with the new one? haha

AntonCrowley_16 said:
Jeff Waters - great guitarist....kind of went down hill after Never, Neverland but got good again with Criteria for a Black Widow and Carnival Diablos. Havent heard much of the new one? can ne1 fill me in with the new one? haha

It sucks horribly. The new vocalist is a mallcore joke.

D.D. Verni for sure, he'll never get any credit, given that fact that he is in Overkill, a great but "going nowhere" band. But since, he's been brought up already, I'll have to go with:

Ian Hill from Judas Priest! There are fans that don't even know his name?!

Agree absolutely on Ian Hill, is incredible how poor noticed the guy is in the almighty Priest.

I want to bring Robert Lowe here. The vocalist of Solitude Aeturnus is a great mid-range, powerful, emotional singer. And if you don't agree with me check also Last Chapter - "The Living Waters" in which Rob sung for the band. Hear the cover of 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' by SA, of ocurse the guy is not Dickinson but IMO is one of the best covers made a lot is owed to Lowe's emotional performance.

I agree with Chris Holmes, DD Verni and Ian Hill. Poor guy! He's always in the background in most, if not all Priest photos and videos! Martin Walkyier. Man, that dude's voice is so fucking METAL, it's unholy! Rock 'n Rolf of Running Wild and Phil Mogg of UFO are also underrated singers, But perhaps th most underrated axemen in metal are Andre Corbin and Larry Barragan of Helstar. Holy fuck on a stick, can they WAIL!!

sixxswine said:
D.D. Verni for sure, he'll never get any credit, given that fact that he is in Overkill, a great but "going nowhere" band.
That has always pissed me off. 'Cause not only are Overkill the first Thrash band, but they have been more consistent then a majority of the bands I can think of. All of their albums range from Good to Classic.

Now for underrated musician, I'm going to say Jim Matheos from Fates Warning. He pulled out some heavy riffs back in the day, but at the same time more recently he had a very good rhythm style using all 6 strings, as opposed to mostly the bottom 3 like a majority of Metal. And he played stuff that is pretty intricate and complex, but never comes off as flashy. And he could pull out a mean solo if he wanted to, whether long and complex or short and sweet (The solo in "Life In Still Water" still stands as one of my favorite solos), but still can be memorable. And no matter what era of Fates you're a fan off (this might get a weird respose, but I'm a fan of both eras of Fates, so...), he could still pen out a damn good tune.

Wyvern said:
Agree absolutely on Ian Hill, is incredible how poor noticed the guy is in the almighty Priest.

I want to bring Robert Lowe here. The vocalist of Solitude Aeturnus is a great mid-range, powerful, emotional singer. And if you don't agree with me check also Last Chapter - "The Living Waters" in which Rob sung for the band. Hear the cover of 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' by SA, of ocurse the guy is not Dickinson but IMO is one of the best covers made a lot is owed to Lowe's emotional performance.

Hell yeah on Rober Lowe, Wyvern!

I know you guys will detest this but I feel Steve Douglas and Peter Lee from GWAR are underrated. I mean the band pretty much play ever style of music imaginable and yet people give them shit. The guitarists can attune their playing to whatever style they want and they can shred at times.