Most underrated musicians ?

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
The overrated shredder post gave me this idea: I listed two players who I think were underrated at their crafts.

guitarists: I don't think I have ever made it a secret that Wolf Hoffmann is God so I would certainly say he is underrated, but I would also have to give the same to one of his contemporaries and countrymen, Matthias Jabs as well. Matthias has been the "new" guitarist for the Scorps for 25 years and has always had to live with the ghosts of both Uli Jon Roth and Micheal Schenker. I think Roth and Schenker are fine guitarists, but both together aren't as good as Jabs in my ears.

bassists: Have to go with another Scorp here in Francis Buccholz and former Ozzy low strung axe-man Bob Daisley. Both are as good as they get, but don't get mentioned often in music forums.

drummers: Kirk Arrington of Metal Church was an oustanding drummer who nevergot the kudos he deserved. Another would be Phil Rudd of AC/DC. He's a total "in the pocket" guy who might not be very technical but Phil has the timing of an expensive Swiss watch. I mean the guy is absolutely perfect and timing and metre doesn't get better than him.

vocalists: Here's one nobody knows.... Andy Kuntz of Vanden Plas. They are my favorite band and he is certainly one of the biggest reasons why. He doesn't have one of thosegreat "God given" voices (or hereditary or whatever you want to call it) but if you listen carefully to most all of Vanden Plas songs carefully, you get a vocalist that gives you8 a lot of bang for the buck. It sounds like every word has been practiced. His control over his voice and delivery are incredible.
Next I would have to say Udo. I mean nobody sounds like Udo. People talk about Ozzy being unique and instantly recognizable which to me is an excuse for his inability to sing, but it is true to a point. Having said that, I think Udo takes that a step farther and he can remember the lyrics to his songs. He is a living legend and still going strong.

keyboards: Have to go with another Vanden Plas member, Gunter Werno. The fact that he has more side projects offered to him than he can ever do is a testament to his playing. With all of the elite musicians out there, he is the only one I can think of that clearly stands above the rest. WHile I never "hated" keyboards if they were used right and by the right band, until Vanden Plas, I was never a fan.

Producer: A producer is as important to the sound of a band as any musician so they deserved recognition. My top choice is Dieter Dirks who helped both The Scorpions and Accept perfect the "teutonic" sound they brought about. Dirks' signature sound are the "hidden" guitar licks buried deep in the mix which he used the technique with both Scorps and Accept. Some of them you don't hear until you have been listening to the CD for a week or so. That is production.
Second would be Flemming Rasmussen. He was the former producer of Metallica. Metallica went to shit when they dropped him. Is it accident ? Hmmm.....

Bryant

I think Roth and Schenker are fine guitarists, but both together aren't as good as Jabs in my ears.
well Jabs could not be a match for the other two , when it comes to composing music.
and Uli John Roth is more technical than Jabs , just listen to the beginning of "Polar Nights" from the live album.
about the all above "underrated" ones, i cant understand why Vanden Plas should get more attention .. they are just Dream Theater ripoffs.
about my thoughts on underrated musicians:
guitar : Dan Rock and Brian MacAlpin (Psychotic Waltz),the guy in Coroner, Scott "Wino" Weinrich (The Obsessed, Spirit Caravan, The Hidden Hand, and some others)
singer: Buddy Lackey (Psychotic Waltz),Ray Alder (Fates Warning) , Eric Wagner (Trouble)Jogi Kayser (Sieges Even), Eric Clayton (Saviour Machine) Rob Lowe (Solitude Aeturnus)
drums : Rick Colaluca (Watchtower) and John Convigton (Solitude Aeturnus)
keyboards : Sverd (Arcturus ), he slays almost every single keyboard player of the so called "progressive metal" scene. A listening to "The Sham Mirrors" proves my words

IOfTheStorm said:
about the all above "underrated" ones, i cant understand why Vanden Plas should get more attention .. they are just Dream Theater ripoffs.

Dream Theater rip-offs ? What Vanden Plas have you been listening to ? While I will admit a few of the songs from "The God Thing" have a bit of an "Images and Words" vibe to them, nothing else they have released sounds even remotely like Dream Theater.

Bryant

Iofthestorm in quotes

"well Jabs could not be a match for the other two , when it comes to composing music."

This I wouldn't know about. I have never payed much attention to the writing credits.

"and Uli John Roth is more technical than Jabs , just listen to the beginning of "Polar Nights" from the live album."

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. In the mid-late 80's Jabs had some incredible licks that still sound great to this day.

"about the all above "underrated" ones, i cant understand why Vanden Plas should get more attention .. they are just Dream Theater ripoffs."

Have you heard the latest Vanden Plas, "Beyond Daylight" ? They definitely have their own sound and are more melodic than DT as Dream Theater has quite a bit of overdone wankery.

"about my thoughts on underrated musicians:
guitar : Dan Rock and Brian MacAlpin (Psychotic Waltz),the guy in Coroner, Scott "Wino" Weinrich (The Obsessed, Spirit Caravan, The Hidden Hand, and some others)"

Excellent musicians there and not bad choices.

singer: Buddy Lackey (Psychotic Waltz),Ray Alder (Fates Warning) , Eric Wagner (Trouble)Jogi Kayser (Sieges Even), Eric Clayton (Saviour Machine) Rob Lowe (Solitude Aeturnus)

Fates has been pretty low key as it has been a while since their last release, but Alder has gotten his share of attention as a vocalist though deservedly so.
As far as Lackey or whatever his newestr name is: He now sings for Dead Soul Tribe. He has his head too far up his own ass for my tastes. He uses a bunch of effects on his voice and doesn't even provide his real name or a biography for his fans. If you listen to interviews with him, he is a pompous ass and I could live without his "better than thou" attitude.

"drums : Rick Colaluca (Watchtower) and John Convigton (Solitude Aeturnus)
keyboards : Sverd (Arcturus ), he slays almost every single keyboard player of the so called "progressive metal" scene. A listening to "The Sham Mirrors" proves my words"

Don't know this Acturus band, but maybe I should check them out.

Bryant

exatcly that "Beyond Daylight" thing seemed to me just a ripoff, i mean no imagination and innovation that a prog metal band must have . Also i dont like their "cheesy-ness" (though i like some cheesy stuff in general)
about Buddy Lackey, you should listen to what he did in Psychotic Waltz, especially the first two albums (the others two define perfection too), you will probably like him there. Ray Alder: i dont think he got the attention, he deserves i think he should be in the high ELITE of metal singers (maybe because i am a proud Fates Warning fanboy)
and you have to listen to "The Sham Mirrors" imo - the best progressive metal album of the last 4 years.

I think Bernd Aufermann is pretty underrated. He was in Angel Dust and is in Running Wild now I think. I never heard anyone talk about him. Chris Impellitteri, the man is awesome! Also Andre Olbrich from Blind Guardian

Bassists, well being a bass player most metal bassist dont impress me at all. The majority just play boring underlying notes. Dave Ellefson always wrote some good shit. Markus Grosskopf from Helloween is good. The dude in Rhapsody is actually pretty good too but no one mentions him. Prolly cuz their music is cheesy as hell.

Drumz, definitly the guy in Arch enemy. Listen to Lament of a Mortal soul if ya dont believe me. And Hogh from Immortal/Hypocrisy. Mosat people always throw out black metqal musicians. I like Horgh because he throws in alot of shit you'd never expect in black metal.

Vox. Let it be known I hate singers. But andy Kuntz from Vanden Plas does indeed rock! Into The Sun is AWESOME! And Johnny Linquist(sp) from Nocturnal Rites. And Vintersorg. His voice can be very angry then very smooth and soothing, I love that.

I think John Sykes is very under rated since most of people think that "1987" White Snake TOURING members were the band.

That album is not hair Glam Metal! And Blue Murder band was John's band and he wrote all the lyrics and music.

I saw him live doing Thin Lizzy stuff and he was just amazing. Not just great guitarist but song writer as well as singer.

Also Chris Impellitteri... OK he's Blackmore clone like Yngwie Malmsteen but I worship this guy. Vinny Burns from ex Ten, Ultravox and Dare.

Marshall Law the entire band is under rated and over looked.

Dave Martin & Andy Southwell is super mega axe killers. Jabs & Schenker and KK Downing and Glen Tipton are nothing compare to them.

This is the quotes from Heavy Metal Historian and ex Marshall Law A&R Garry Sharpe Young and he's not WRONG!

Apperently new Marshall Law album title might be "Axis Of Power". Release might be this summer. Maybe by Sanctuary Records.

Dig it!

good players here, guys. excellent stuff! Here are a few I feel are underrated...

Ted Nugent - basic, greasy, soulful guitar player. I used to think he sucked but in the last 2 years I have become a true disciple of Ted. Just nasty stuff. Double Live Gonzo will make you a tedhead if you're not already...there's so much energy he's just about to pop. but I don't believe he never did coke...

Hank Sherman - mercyful fate - another one who I'm sure is well known HERE but never really gets mentioned in the mainstream...a shame.

Mick Mars - never gets his props....

I think DD Verni from Overkill is a fine bassist who is underrated somewhat...cool tones

Drums? hmmmm I would say Bill Ward....not really underrated but overlooked...WAR PIGS has such a killer cymbal thing goin' on

I know these are basic choices and not underground but these are my picks dammit! I read y'allz!

Damn! I forgot to mention Andy Laroqe, thanks Ted!
Some of his King Diamond riffs rule! Hank as well. I love the gritty opening to In The Shadows! And who can forget Witches Dance!

IOfTheStorm said:
Ray Alder: i dont think he got the attention, he deserves i think he should be in the high ELITE of metal singers (maybe because i am a proud Fates Warning fanboy)
and you have to listen to "The Sham Mirrors" imo - the best progressive metal album of the last 4 years.
Well we can both at least agree on Ray Alder. I have been a fan of his and FW since "Perfect Symmetry." With the exception of APSOG (which I find a good release, but the songs blend together so much and sound very similar at times) FW has been one of the most consistant prog bands out there. In fact, they were around before Dream Theater and really were one of the bands that started the big prog metal movement.

Bryant

tedvanfrehley said:

I know these are basic choices and not underground but these are my picks dammit! I read y'allz!
I have to agree with this. Mick is not very technical at all but he developed "his style" pretty early on and is easily recognizable. I have also seen The Crue three times and he has never missed a note that I can remember. He is rock solid and the "glue" that holds that band together.

Bryant

tedvanfrehley said:

I think DD Verni from Overkill is a fine bassist who is underrated somewhat...cool tones

I absolutely agree with both of these Mick is an Awsome guitar player one of my all time Favorites and D.D.Verni should be hailed as a living god :D

How about Mark Reale of Riot in the guitarists category.

He has held together the band thru many lineup changes.
I think Fire Down Under is a landmark in hard rock/heavy metal history.

bassists-Good choices

keyboards-How about Claude Schnell of early DIO,also what do think of Tony Carey from a few Rainbow albums?

I like the rest of your picks as well

Good choices!

bt9x said:
:worship:

William Tsamis of Warlord is highly underrated. David Chastain too.
The whole Fates Warning line up.
Singers? Carl Albert... RIP.
Drummers? Tom Hunting of Exodus/Angel Witch. He may not top Lombardo, still he's awesome and deserves more attention.

Guitar : Denis "Piggy" D'amour from Voivod. His playing was just out of this worl back in the 80's. He was probably the first guitarist tu use disharmonies and weird stuff like that in metal.

Signing : I found Daniel Heiman from the power metal band Lost Horizon to be very impressive.

Evil Ernie said:
Guitar : Denis "Piggy" D'amour from Voivod. His playing was just out of this worl back in the 80's. He was probably the first guitarist tu use disharmonies and weird stuff like that in metal.

Most definitely! I couldn't agree more. :headbang:

bt9x said:

Oh YES! :) Master of melodies and genius of songwriting!

Fangface said:
William Tsamis of Warlord is highly underrated. David Chastain too.

Well, I wouldn't agree on Chastain.
He's not that clean in his playing, yet constantly tries to play very technically. The combination I really dislike...
His songs, band and singer (Leather Leone) are awesome, though.