The new Vanden Plas...........

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
A new era of Vanden Plas has began.......

Vanden Plas is...... well they are a prog-metal from Germany. Many may know that, but here is what Vanden Plas has been to me......

Vanden Plas has always been a prog band (on the lighter side of prog) with a huge sense of majesty and grandeur. VP has always had this huge sound that makes them sound like it should be reserved for kings and statesmen and such. However, Vanden Plas has always had soaring "sing-a-long type choruses that were very accessible compared to most prog-metal bands. The VP progressions and time changes have always made so much musical sense that one really doesn't even realize he/she is listening to progressive metal music. The musicians of Vanden Plas are absolutely outstanding, but the collective has always surpassed even the incredible sum of the parts. Lastly, VP has always made a great bonus tracks as well. I love their bonus tracks.
Vanden Plas has always been ballad heavy, but it isn't a case of too many ballads considering the ballads are amazing in their own right. It was more of a case that they needed more "rockers." Vanden Plas also tends to take about 10 years between each release...... well it feels that long anyway. Those are the few gripes I have with VP.

Welcome to the new Vanden Plas..........

With "The Seraphic Clockwork" there are fewer ballads, the songs are more "proggy" even more majestic and magnanimous than even before. In fact, Vanden Plas is downright "heavy" now for prog-metal. Stephan has unleashed his fury on guitar. The finale of the disc (other than the bonus track) "On My Way to Jerusalem" might be my favorite song of all-time. Andy put his best foot forward on this to put it mildly. His voice sounds like an angel's. It almost brings me to tears.

As I digest more of this disc....... I will add to it. Simply incredible !!

Bryant

Awesome. I'd expect nothing less. Christ-O is definitely in my top 10 of all time for metal - seriously. I've no doubt this rules as much as you say. How did you get it? Release date is still a couple weeks out!

Awesome. I'd expect nothing less. Christ-O is definitely in my top 10 of all time for metal - seriously. I've no doubt this rules as much as you say. How did you get it? Release date is still a couple weeks out!

Well...... I didn't acquire mine legally, but I will say this....

Laser's Edge has the disc right now. www.lasercd.com

You will absolutely fall in love with the whole disc (maybe less the bonus track.) I am also going to get my "authentic copy" from Lasers Edge. When you here the first 1:05 minutes of "On My Way to Jerusalem" you will have a new respect for Andy's vocals. It isn't like that is the only great song on the disc though. I have only had it since the morning of 06/05. I am still learning it.

Bryant

I tried to download it from the Frontiers press page and it was just samples! I got an email that they have uploaded the full release can't wait to hear it tonight!!!!

Like their last 3 albums, its solid. Great song writing, great production, great musicianship.

I love it. I can see why it took four years to release. They are just on a different level than other bands. One of the few complaints of people that like Vanden Plas is that there are two many ballads/not heavy enough. That has been resolved with this one. This is going to spoil anything new for me coming out for a couple of months.

Bryant

This album is definitely out in Europe, I have one copy on the desk in front of me at the moment. :)
Never really totally got into the Vanden Plas albums I've heard before but I never gave them that much listens anyway, Short attention span I guess. I actually picked this new one as replacement for another album I ordered that was out of stock, let's see if things click this time...

This album is definitely out in Europe, I have one copy on the desk in front of me at the moment. :)
Never really totally got into the Vanden Plas albums I've heard before but I never gave them that much listens anyway, Short attention span I guess. I actually picked this new one as replacement for another album I ordered that was out of stock, let's see if things click this time...

Do take into consideration that this is progressive metal. I think Vanden Plas is probably more "accessible" than many prog-metal bands, but it is still going to take some time to digest. The songs are long and complexed. It is definitely not for everybody. I don't normally make too many posts about prog-metal bands on this forum because it is just not the right place for that, but I have always made an exception with Vanden Plas because they are my favorite band.

Bryant