New Vanden Plas...... sort of a review

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Normally, when I do a review of a disc, I throw out what I like and edit etc. to make a nice sounding statement. I made an exception this time around. I sorta' went via the stream of consciousness on this report, so it is not as eloquent as I would like. However, these are my feelings of both Vanden Plas and this new release.......

A new era of Vanden Plas has began.......

Vanden Plas is...... well they are a prog-metal from Germany. Many may know that, but here is what Vanden Plas has been to me......

Vanden Plas has always been a prog band (on the lighter side of prog) with a huge sense of majesty and grandeur. VP has always had this huge sound that makes them sound like it should be reserved for kings and statesmen and such. However, Vanden Plas has always had soaring "sing-a-long type choruses that were very accessible compared to most prog-metal bands. The VP progressions and time changes have always made so much musical sense that one really doesn't even realize he/she is listening to progressive metal music. The musicians of Vanden Plas are absolutely outstanding, but the collective has always surpassed even the incredible sum of the parts. Lastly, VP has always made a great bonus tracks as well. I love their bonus tracks.
Vanden Plas has always been ballad heavy, but it isn't a case of too many ballads considering the ballads are amazing in their own right. It was more of a case that they needed more "rockers." Vanden Plas also tends to take about 10 years between each release...... well it feels that long anyway. Those are the few gripes I have with VP.

Welcome to the new Vanden Plas..........

With "The Seraphic Clockwork" there are fewer ballads, the songs are more "proggy" even more majestic and magnanimous than even before. In fact, Vanden Plas is downright "heavy" now for prog-metal. Stephan has unleashed his fury on guitar. The finale of the disc (other than the bonus track) "On My Way to Jerusalem" might be my favorite song of all-time. Andy put his best foot forward on this to put it mildly. His voice sounds like an angel's. It almost brings me to tears.

As I digest more of this disc....... I will add to it. Simply incredible !!

Bryant

Normally, when I do a review of a disc, I throw out what I like and edit etc. to make a nice sounding statement. I made an exception this time around. I sorta' went via the stream of consciousness on this report, so it is not as eloquent as I would like. However, these are my feelings of both Vanden Plas and this new release.......

A new era of Vanden Plas has began.......

Vanden Plas is...... well they are a prog-metal from Germany. Many may know that, but here is what Vanden Plas has been to me......

Vanden Plas has always been a prog band (on the lighter side of prog) with a huge sense of majesty and grandeur. VP has always had this huge sound that makes them sound like it should be reserved for kings and statesmen and such. However, Vanden Plas has always had soaring "sing-a-long type choruses that were very accessible compared to most prog-metal bands. The VP progressions and time changes have always made so much musical sense that one really doesn't even realize he/she is listening to progressive metal music. The musicians of Vanden Plas are absolutely outstanding, but the collective has always surpassed even the incredible sum of the parts. Lastly, VP has always made a great bonus tracks as well. I love their bonus tracks.
Vanden Plas has always been ballad heavy, but it isn't a case of too many ballads considering the ballads are amazing in their own right. It was more of a case that they needed more "rockers." Vanden Plas also tends to take about 10 years between each release...... well it feels that long anyway. Those are the few gripes I have with VP.

Welcome to the new Vanden Plas..........

With "The Seraphic Clockwork" there are fewer ballads, the songs are more "proggy" even more majestic and magnanimous than even before. In fact, Vanden Plas is downright "heavy" now for prog-metal. Stephan has unleashed his fury on guitar. The finale of the disc (other than the bonus track) "On My Way to Jerusalem" might be my favorite song of all-time. Andy put his best foot forward on this to put it mildly. His voice sounds like an angel's. It almost brings me to tears.

As I digest more of this disc....... I will add to it. Simply incredible !!

Bryant

Truer words could not be said. The album is great.

Can't wait to get my copy from Laser's Edge! Thanks for the review - I look forward to the first spin and the dozens upon dozens of spins that will surely follow.

Since it will be in people's hands in a few days, I'll move this over to the main forum Wednesday or so. I started the thread here because few have the disc, for those wondering why it is in the lounge......

Bryant

I'm listening to The Seraphic Clockwork now and all I can think is "Vanden Plas is such a refined prog metal band... Somebody compared them with Circus Maximus recently. Both bands are on top of their game in every aspect, but they're still different within the genre. In a really silly analogy, while Circus Maximus could be considered one of the best really cool restaurants to hang out and have a few drinks at, Vanden Plas would be considered a top tier fine dining, expensive location, but yet with a certain attitude. :lol: