Why do you like Vanden Plas ?

I like Vanden Plas because they didn't show up, allowing Freak Kitchen to play a longer headline set.

Which is bittersweet, because Vanden Plas is a kick-ass band, but still.

I love 'em because they incorporate an interesting mix of prog and melodic influences, the first time I heard COLOUR TEMPLE I was hearing stuff like Whitesnake and Dream Theater in an interesting blend. They slay live too...

Why do I like Vanden Plas?

I'm a type of fan that likes "a little bit of prog with their power metal". Vanden Plas, techncially a prog metal band has enough melodic power elements in their music that it has a bit of a bite, but not so far out there that it loses me. This is THE band of the showcase I'm looking forward to the most! :headbang: :kickass:

Why do I like Vanden Plas?

I'm a type of fan that likes "a little bit of prog with their power metal". Vanden Plas, techncially a prog metal band has enough melodic power elements in their music that it has a bit of a bite, but not so far out there that it loses me. This is THE band of the showcase I'm looking forward to the most! :headbang: :kickass:

This is similar to why I like them, I think... they're not "too" proggy. They do of course have great melodies and catchy choruses.

This is definitely what I'm looking forward to the most, period, with the exception of Fates Warning--and that is very close. :)

Shaye

While I often have trouble listening to an album of theirs from start to finish, I think they put on an excellent live performance. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them again.

--Mike

I think all of the folks who took this thread seriously made spectacular points about Vanden Plas. I wish I could add another reason, but I think everybody here summed it up perfectly. If anything, I would have to say that I think they're somewhat overlooked in the metal scene in general, and that includes the prog scene.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I'm horrible at explaining why I like any band. Basically, if the music and vocals are aesthetically pleasing to me, then I'll say "I like this." I'm not very good at identifying why I find something aesthetically pleasing to my senses, though. However, I'll try: I like VP because they have intelligent songwriting, and, for me, appealing melodies both in the music and in the vocals. Often times, great vocal melodies will sell me on a band.

So that's what appeals to me about Vanden Plas, as best as I can articulate, anyway. :)

I'm not in the "Vandan Plas is God" category, but I've always thought they were decent. Lately I've been going through the catalog again, and they are growing on me more. They are a little slow at times, but overall great harmonies and good hooks in the songs.

Steve in Philly

Another thing I like about VP is their ability to make "prog" sound not so prog. Although there are some exceptions with abrupt time and melody changes like "Silently"....... for the most part, Vanden Plas is able to make different musical movements flow seemlessly. Some "prog" bands write songs that tend to sound a bit disjointed. It sounds like they strung together different cool riffs they created and made a song out of it. In the case of VP, the transitions seem almost "logical" and are easy to follow.

Bryant

There are argueably the forerunners of the melodic prog metal movement...l believe. Other notable bands (DT & Fates come to mind) touched on it...but never really anchored themselves in it. VP seems to maintain that melodious feel throughout.

Yeah, Vanden Plas is one of the better prog bands, IMO. It's not just wankery. That's true of most of the prog bands in the lineup this year. I can do without bands like PoS or Wastefall, personally.

Why do * I * like Vanden Plas? Because their unfortunate incident the last time gave the Freak Kitchen guys a chance to step up in big way, and entertain the PP flock. :heh: I love VP's older stuff, wasn't real big on Christ0, but I AM looking forward to seeing them again. :headbang:

Not big on CHrist0 ? Blasphemy !! OFF WITH HIS HEAD !! I guess I will have to head up a lynching party and go get "mean ol' JW" :heh:

Bryant

Why do * I * like Vanden Plas? Because their unfortunate incident the last time gave the Freak Kitchen guys a chance to step up in big way, and entertain the PP flock. :heh: I love VP's older stuff, wasn't real big on Christ0, but I AM looking forward to seeing them again. :headbang:

I think the vocals are a huge part of what I like about them. They can be high soaring vocals or a bit crunchy and intense. On top of that, the music is strong and catchy, and the lyrics are always thought provoking.