Most underrated musicians ?

Too long a list for my standards (or maybe naivete and they are more rated than I believe).

Guitar - Rocky George: That guy shreds like a madman, and his phrasing was always really tasty!

Drums - Mikkey Dee: What can I say about Mikkey? Simply awesome. go see a Motorhead show and you'll see what I mean!

Bass: Most bass players that are in a band with a well known shredding guitarist

Vocals: Jacques Belanger (Exciter): This is a personal one, I guess. Jacques can sing pretty much ANYTHING, and sing it extremely well!

Keyboard: I'm not a big fan of that instrument, so I don;t really pay attention to who the players are... the guy from Ozzy's group - Don Airey?

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Clammy said:
Guitar - Rocky George: That guy shreds like a madman, and his phrasing was always really tasty!

Drums - Mikkey Dee: What can I say about Mikkey? Simply awesome. go see a Motorhead show and you'll see what I mean!

Bass: Most bass players that are in a band with a well known shredding guitarist

Vocals: Jacques Belanger (Exciter): This is a personal one, I guess. Jacques can sing pretty much ANYTHING, and sing it extremely well!

Keyboard: I'm not a big fan of that instrument, so I don;t really pay attention to who the players are... the guy from Ozzy's group - Don Airey?

Cheers!
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
I agree with Rocky George, I disagree with Mikkey Dee I can't believe anyone can put him down. He's a top player with a well deserved recognition. As for Don Airey, he's the Deep Purple keyboardist since Jon Lord left a couple of years ago (and a very good replacement) and had played with all the planet including Rainbow, Bruce Dickinson, Glenn Tipton and Ozzy Osbourne. Regarding bass players I don't know if underrated, but I'll quote: Billy Shehan, Matt Bissonette, Geddy Lee, Markus Grosskopf, Lemmy, Nibbs Carter, Pete Perez, Stu Hamm, Joe Buchard, to name a few.

Clammy said:

Killer guitar palyer! Him and his Pittsburg Pirates hat ruled. :)

pretty hard one, .... more holes in my memory than names ...drummer from Anvil (Rob Reinner ) and drummer of Culprit (Bud Burril ) ... Guitarist Jonas Hanson from Silver Mountain...vocalists from Toxik, Tokio Blade, Tyketto, Znöwhite, Raven ...keyboards from Magnum .... I'm sure I'm forgetting the motherload here... :oops:

I agree Andy LaRoque is a very talented and very underrated guitar player. I also think Pete Blakk from King diamond was very underrated also. I also agree with the person who said DD Verni from Overkill. I also think Mike Sciacca from his days with Rigor Mortis and last but not least Donald Tardy drummer from Obituary.

carnut said:
Culprit (Bud Burril ) Tokio Blade
Wow Culprit, fucking underrated band. And Alan Marsh of Tokyo Blade, one of my faves. Really cool pics carnut ;)

god_king said:
I think John Sykes is very under rated since most of people think that "1987" White Snake TOURING members were the band.

That album is not hair Glam Metal! And Blue Murder band was John's band and he wrote all the lyrics and music.

I agree with this statement whole heartedly, and let us not forget the work he did in Tygers Of Pan Tang!!! John Sykes is my favorite guitar player!

Bassists: My two favorites are Michael Manring, and Victor Wooten, hardly under-rated if you read Bass Player... but still reasonably unknown in the rock world. I also have a soft spot for Blackie from Voivod. He was thinking outside the box before we knew there was a box to think outside of. It's not that he was a technical player, just using different notes and phrasings than normal for the time... I mean Jesus, do you have any idea how hard it would be to write a bass line for Piggy's guitar parts, and Away's drumming???? Think about it.

Vocals: I really like Mitch Allen from SR-71, he just has a style that I appreciate. I also always thought that Mike Tramp from White Lion wasn't given the credit he deserved.. he had a unique voice, and I always liked the way that he pronounced words. When he sang the word "love", it always sounded more like "laaaahhhhhhve" instead of "looooove". Actually as I'm typing this I realized that Mitch Allen uses the same pronunciation technique. Interesting! ..... and finally. Michael Monroe... clearly one of the most talented guys out there... My God, the guy plays keys, harmonica, sax, and drums, and probably others I don't know about... all well I might add, and has a very unique voice to go with it all.

Oh wait... I almost forgot... Steve Whiteman from Kix. "Theeee" most under-rated vocalist (and frontman) in rock and roll.......Period!!!! I won't even take the time to elaborate on this statement, if you haven't seen or heard him sing then you wouldn't understand. If you don't agree, then you just don't get "it". Just try to do a Kix cover song, and see what happens... I dare ya.

Keyboards: I just don't care about keys unless they're being used in an "atmospheric" manner, which anyone can do.....

Bryant :wave: .. 2 words why Metallica has sucked since Flemming stopped being there producer.. those 2 Words are Bob Rock LoL .. that guy commercializes all music he touches to the extent that most bands should be Britney Spears of the metal world.. anyways as for underrated.. i always felt Dave Murray and ADrian Smith were underrated.. i disagree that David Chastain isnt a clean precise player. he kicked ass and his albums with Leather were great especially Ruler of the Wasteland and the 7th Of Never.. very underrated guitarist... other guitarist i think was underrated was George Lynch... he didnt train at G.I.T. like other shredders of the 80's and 90's but what he learned on his own is amazing.. Marty Friedman and Chris Poland from Megadeth were also underrated... the guitarists from Judas Priest were also underrated..David Gilmour from Floyd was highly underrated even though he isnt a metal guitarist just wanted to mention that.. as for drummers.. Nick Barker (ex Dimmu Borgir) comes to mind as underrated.. he can pound the skins and give DAve Lombardo a run for his money though i worship Dave's drumming as well... Keyboard i would say Ozzy's ex keyboard player.. Don Airey as well as whoever handles keyboards in the bands Dimmu Borgir and Children of Bodom.. obviously they sound like they have had classical training... singerwise the chick from Lacuna Coil.. she can sing just as good as Amy Lee in Evanescence if not better.. Bass i would say the bassist from Megadeth.. i forgot his name as well as Cliff Burton (sorry but Jason sucked big time and was one of the reasons for Metallica's music going into decline along with Bob Rock and Lars/James not letting Kirk have more creative input in the songs like they let him in the past in the 80's).. both are very capable bassists... right now im very tired and sleepy so if i can think of anyone else ill post tomorrow or during the week.. let me know what you think of my choices... :headbang:

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
.. Bass i would say the bassist from Megadeth.. i forgot his name as well as Cliff Burton (sorry but Jason sucked big time and was one of the reasons for Metallica's music going into decline along with Bob Rock and Lars/James not letting Kirk have more creative input in the songs like they let him in the past in the 80's).. both are very capable bassists... right now im very tired and sleepy so if i can think of anyone else ill post tomorrow or during the week.. let me know what you think of my choices... :headbang:

His name is Dave Ellefson , I also think he is very underrated especially after songs like Countdown and Dawnpatroll. Jason isn't anywhere near where Cliff left off but I still like him more than the new guy. If you want to see kickass base , you should see John Entwistle (The Who) perform "My Wife".I also mentioned Mic Box from Uriah Heep , he kept them together kinda like Harris does with Maiden, I'm a big Heepfan, even though they had more frontmen than albums, they have great songs

Unfaithfully Metalhead]Bryant :wave: .. David Gilmour from Floyd was highly underrated even though he isnt a metal guitarist just wanted to mention that..

Gilmour is in my top ten guitar players of all-time. He probably is underrated by non-musicians though. His style is about style, substance, phrasing and note choices as opposed to technical wizardry, much like Buck Dharma. Among the more mature musicians, I don't think Gilmour is overrated much though.

singerwise the chick from Lacuna Coil.. she can sing just as good as Amy Lee in Evanescence if not better..

Christina Scabbia (Lacuna Coil) is oustanding but Amy Lee (on studio work) is probably technically a better singer. I would take Lacuna Coil over Evanescence any day of the week, but Amy Lee deserves serious kudos. I personally can't think of a woman in the rock or metal that can sing better than her, but then again, it is all personal taste along with a little educated ear.

:headbang:

Bryant