Pagans Mind seems to have not just kicked my ass.....

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Now that I have had some time to digest the ProgPowerUSA show, I have come to a couple of conclusions......

Pagans Mind last Friday was the best live band I have ever seen in my life. They are also the most talented set of musicians in one band I have ever seen. Jorn Viggo Lofstat is the best guitarist I have ever heard play and Nils K. Rue is the best live vocalist I have ever heard sing. Stian Kristoffersen, (drums) Steiner Krokmo (bass) and Ronny Tegner (keys) are also closr to being the absolute best... if not THE best in my ears. Too much to digest really at one show......Of course I like to joke around here and there, but I wouldn't make statements like this without serious thought. Pagans Mind came to this festival to make a serious statement and they did.
Pagan's Mind brought their manager, sound man, as well as loads of merchandise to the show, learned twenty two songs for the All-Star jam from "Alone" by Heart and "Desperado" by The Eagles to "Symphony of Destruction" by Megadeth as well as playing 11 of theirs the night before. They played for over two hours on that set. Their freaking singer Nils, did a cover of "Welcome Home... (Grandma)" from King Diamond and hit EVERY note on the song, a few songs later he came out and nailed "Lady of Winter" by Crimson Glory, then one of the last songs of the jam he busted out with Queensryche's "Take Hold of the Flame" and sang it better than Geoff Tate EVER has when he was in top form.
During Pagan's Mind's set, they played three new songs from their soon to be released CD, one cover, "Hallo Spaceman" by David Bowie and the rest from their second and third discs. The tone of Viggo's guitar was INCREDIBLE !! They did not miss one note I could hear and Nils only missed two during their first song and he asked the soundman to turn up his monitor which solved the issue. They played an instrumental, which would normally run people away, but it floored everyone. This was the most professional band I have ever seen.
You could see Nils preparing for difficult vocal parts and he would pull on his chest with his left arm (like he was drawing back to punch someone or something) as well as do those great mouth techniques to get the perfect tone he was looking for. He made sure to freaking perfect vocal technique while still giving great expressions and doing some headbanging and stuff as well so as not to look robotic.
Viggo would make the "guitar faces" like many guitarists, but he is Mr. Cool also making sure his technique was absolutely up to par. I am a guitarist of 25 years and I did not hear ONE missed note. He was absolutely mind-blowing. He also would get active during some heavy parts of the song and was fun to watch. He absolutely put on a clinic on how to play guitar though. He is a monster.
Stian is the METAL guy of PM. His drumming sounded like a freaking machine gun at times and he always made the evil faces behind the kit and did the stick spins etc. but he was no less the perfectionist. He was the best drummer of the festival and one of the best I have ever heard. During the instrumental is where he shined. I would swear he has four arms. Incredible !!
Steiner is the personality guy of PM. He could not wipe the smile off of his face during the whole set and he played all six strings of his high dollar bass often harmonizing with fast riffs with Jorn. He also took care of the harmony vocals and did a wonderful job with that. He carried the energy of the band, but also made sure he was perfect in his sound.
Ronny had to be closer to the back of the stage and didn't try to be in the limelight, but aside from blazing harmonies with the guitar, the atmosphere he created on his keys were magical. Sometimes keys get in the way of metal bands...... not the case here. This guy is irreplaceable. He is a master.
The soundman..... don't know his name, but he deserves as much kudos as the band. Of course they were loud as this was a metal show, but they weren't deafening and even though I was standing in front of Viggo's amps, I could still hear all of the instruments with a great mix. He was outstanding especially considering most of this was not the band's equipment, but stuff that was rented and shared with all bands.
Last but not least..... the ProgpowerUSA crowd. Because the USA is large and spread out, we don't get quite the amount of festivals Europe does, but this is still a veteran crowd with an average age of about 35 I would say. This crowd knows quality when they hear it, yet though everyone had their own favorites they came to see...... you can tell by these links, Pagan's Mind came in to destroy America on Saturday Night and they absolutely blew the place away !!!!! In my six years attending ProgPowerUSA I have never seen a band so dominate...... and it wasn't due to the other bands not being good.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/339270-best-friday-poll.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/339745-un-official-pagans-mind-worship-thread.html
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/339232-pagans-mind-slayed.html

So what are you trying to say? :p

I have been away too long. Recent discussions have sent me scouring MySpace for sound samples and I have been thoroughly impressed by Pagan's Mind, Sieges Even, and Circus Maximus. I used to not be a fan of prog but perhaps my (finally) maturing ears now accurately translate to me the talent some of these bands have. I'm sure my introduction to Porcupine Tree over a year ago helped.

Only problem is: you guys spend a lot of my money :p

Their music never really did it for me. Of course they're brilliant musicians, songwise it never struck a chord. Obviously if I witnessed what you did in a live setting, I'm sure they would have a new #1 fan here.

Sounds like you went through the same thing Saturday Night what I went through when I saw Into Eternity. Never in my wildest dreams was expecting to enjoy the band, nevermind sit through them. Perfectly harmonzed sweeps, the greatest singer I've ever witnessed live, and a tight as hell rhythm section. Their singer would go from Growls immediately into Geoff Tate high notes, just brilliant. The man had such power and control - and knowing how much I despise growling, that's saying a lot. Stu Block and apparently Nils are going to be the Tate's and Halford's of the next generation of metal.

Nils a brilliant singer and Stian is one the best powermetal drummers on the planet. His work with Jorn, PM, and Firewind has been nothing short of incredible. The man is a machine.

Glad you had such a great time Bryant. :headbang:

While I won't quite speak up to Bryant's levels, I have to agree that PM was simply stunning. I *like* the band, but wasn't a giant fan. However, live they just floored everyone, and the guitarist may be one of the best I've ever seen. The last 4 songs was an unbeliveable stretch of musical talent. I'd be very happy to see them headline one day, and I just like the CDs!

Steve in Philly

Ha ha ha yeah be careful Progmetal is addictive. Of course I am joking.... it is no different than any other metal to me. Some of it I like, and some I don't. As far as Pagans Mind on disc...... the singer (Nils) is really good and has a very unique style, but he sounds a bit "processed" with some effects on his voice. It's actually odd, but he sounds better live than on disc.
Sieges Even is the best Prog rock band I think I have ever heard. They don't have that heavy edge that really makes them "metal" in my ears, but they are still great. Start saving your money because these prog bands like to do solo projects and make project bands with members from other prog bands etc. etc. I'd go broke just trying to get all of the project stuff just the Pagans Mind members were/are involved in.

Bryant

So what are you trying to say? :p

I have been away too long. Recent discussions have sent me scouring MySpace for sound samples and I have been thoroughly impressed by Pagan's Mind, Sieges Even, and Circus Maximus. I used to not be a fan of prog but perhaps my (finally) maturing ears now accurately translate to me the talent some of these bands have. I'm sure my introduction to Porcupine Tree over a year ago helped.

Only problem is: you guys spend a lot of my money :p

Cool !! Sounds like that was a great show with IE. That is what is great about a festival..... you will always get surprised. Sometimes it is in a bad way, but sometimes in a good one.

Bryant

Their music never really did it for me. Of course they're brilliant musicians, songwise it never struck a chord. Obviously if I witnessed what you did in a live setting, I'm sure they would have a new #1 fan here.

Sounds like you went through the same thing Saturday Night what I went through when I saw Into Eternity. Never in my wildest dreams was expecting to enjoy the band, nevermind sit through them. Perfectly harmonzed sweeps, the greatest singer I've ever witnessed live, and a tight as hell rhythm section. Their singer would go from Growls immediately into Geoff Tate high notes, just brilliant. The man had such power and control - and knowing how much I despise growling, that's saying a lot. Stu Block and apparently Nils are going to be the Tate's and Halford's of the next generation of metal.

Nils a brilliant singer and Stian is one the best powermetal drummers on the planet. His work with Jorn, PM, and Firewind has been nothing short of incredible. The man is a machine.

Glad you had such a great time Bryant. :headbang:

Yeah I was probably two levels up on you. I was definitely a fan enough that I knew all of their material less the new stuff and their names etc. but they weren't one of my top ten bands or anything. Had they been my favorite band or something, I might have just died right there on the spot from a heart attack. I think one reason why they were giving 110% is that according to their UK manager (who is also a big Vanden Plas fan,) they were considering recording a live DVD from that show. I would certainly buy that.

Bryant

While I won't quite speak up to Bryant's levels, I have to agree that PM was simply stunning. I *like* the band, but wasn't a giant fan. However, live they just floored everyone, and the guitarist may be one of the best I've ever seen. The last 4 songs was an unbeliveable stretch of musical talent. I'd be very happy to see them headline one day, and I just like the CDs!

Steve in Philly

I have to agree with you Bryant. Pagan's Mind was simply awesome. I got right up to the rail on Jorn Viggo's side. What a great, great live band. Can't wait for the new CD!:headbang:

Cool !! I was right in front of Lord of the Strings as well, about four or five people back. I would love to see them headline at PPUSAX

Bryant

I have to agree with you Bryant. Pagan's Mind was simply awesome. I got right up to the rail on Jorn Viggo's side. What a great, great live band. Can't wait for the new CD!:headbang:

The avalanche of positive posts about Pagan's Mind helped me decide to go and see them three times as support act of Fates Warning.

I'll be seeing them in Weert, Zoetermeer and Cologne (Germany).

I already liked PM a lot but the positive live reports made me eager to see them live.

Cool !! I envy you. I was already a fan, but I wasn't expecting that performance. If they can duplicate the magic they had at PPUSA I feel sorry for Fates Warning. If PM can maintain the sound and performance I witnessed, they will be a headliner soon. I have seen probably 83 bands at the six PPUSA events and none were more dominant than PM, not even my beloved Vanden Plas who were awesome in their own right.

It seems as though the Boerdorij venue (Zoertermeer) has a capacity of 750. Is it general admission ? That would be a good size for PM.

After blowing away the American audience, I think they will be on a mission to defend Europe as well.

Bryant

The avalanche of positive posts about Pagan's Mind helped me decide to go and see them three times as support act of Fates Warning.

I'll be seeing them in Weert, Zoetermeer and Cologne (Germany).

I already liked PM a lot but the positive live reports made me eager to see them live.

I bought Enigmatic: calling a couple years ago and I like it very much. It still gets put in frequently when I'm on a prog/power kick. Seeing all these rave reviews for their PPUSA show bodes well for the band, and so does the new album. I'm 4 listens in on my promo version of God's Equation, but it hasn't grabbed me yet. No big deal, I can hear it reaching for me. It took almost 10 spins before the new Circus Maximus got my full attention, and now it's breaking down the door on my top-5 of 2007 list.