Pagans Mind @ PPUSA VIII

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I'm still a little too tired to make a post about the whole event, but I have to give Pagans Mind their due. If anybody (in Europe) just thinks this band is just....ok or better, then please go see them live. There were some quality singers at PP like Jon Oliva, Ralf Scheepers (from Primal Fear) Ray Alder, Floor Jansen (from After Forever) Lance King.... etc. etc. etc. but Nils K. Rue put on a clinic about how a vocalist should deliver his voice. He was absolutely perfect. After their first song (I think his monitor was too low) he did not miss one note. He was never one of my very favorite vocalists before now because on disc they put too many effects on his voice. He doesn't need them. Aside from nailing all of the Pagans Mind stuff, he went and belted out "Welcome Home" from King Diamond Saturday night along with dueting "Take Hold of the Flame" with Lance King. He hit every note of those songs as well.
Jorn Viggo Lofstat (Pagans guitar player) received a new nickname after the show. He is now Jorn Viggo Lord of the Strings. He was amazing !! He has the rare ability to write technical stuff that still has the emotic quality to it. You can hear the Eddie in him, but he is far from a clone. In fact, if I were EVH, I wouldn't want to be in the same building with the guy. His guitar playing was absolutely effortless.
Stian (drummer) and Ronny (keyboardist) were no less impressive. Pagans Mind also were the "house" band for the all-star jam in which they had to learn 22 cover songs and play a three hour set as well as their set Friday night. Pagans Mind brought their own soundman, tour manager as well as plenty of merchandise incuding a cool ball cap. I was totally blown away by this band. Aside from being professionals, they were super nice guys as well.
And by the way, if Nils didn't do enough, he played guitar on one song of the jam and does all of the artwork on PMs CDs. Being a graphic artist certainly helps thatr though.

4fargecover.jpg

I'm sorry that I didn't get to watch them. My back was killing me by that time and I just couldn't stand(no room to stand even if I wanted to) and there was nowhere, I mean Nowhere to sit in there. So me and some friends grabbed some chairs right outside the doors and listened. Also had the monitors on the wall outside to watch the show. They were on fire! At the time I wasn't to upset because I just saw Redemption and was still in the after glow. I do have to say that they were the best crowd pleasing band for the whole weekend.

I tried not to rub it in when I found out you missed them, but since you were a big Redemption fan, you may not have received the full experience anyway. I couldn't watch SA after Pagans Mind. There was just know way they would have been able to hold my attention.
One good thing is that PM WILL be back after that performance, so you will have a chance to learn their stuff. I wasn't the only one who thought they rocked. Look at this link.....

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/339270-best-friday-poll.html

Bryant

I'm sorry that I didn't get to watch them. My back was killing me by that time and I just couldn't stand(no room to stand even if I wanted to) and there was nowhere, I mean Nowhere to sit in there. So me and some friends grabbed some chairs right outside the doors and listened. Also had the monitors on the wall outside to watch the show. They were on fire! At the time I wasn't to upset because I just saw Redemption and was still in the after glow. I do have to say that they were the best crowd pleasing band for the whole weekend.

At least I like the album cover. One day I will go to listen to them, right now I have too much material on my hands and wishlist. BTW, Nils is having a side rpoject with former Hammerfall bass player Magnus Rosen and Andy LaRocque. Check here http://www.x-world5.com/.

NP: Evil Masquerade - 'Third Act'