PAINTED IN EXILE (BTBAM-Fans this band is ridiculously good)

Soundscape

Sep 16, 2002
Maplewood, MN
allmediareviews.blogspot.com
http://myspace.com/paintedinexile

I found about this newyork (progressive extreme metal) band a little over a month ago. But I am revisiting some 2009 albums in cram-mode right now and have gone back to this band's newest ep "Revitalized" and am pretty much in awe of how impressive they are.

Pretty much what I love about BTBAM, I love about them. They have really good clean vocals and their screaming actually works really well with their music. This new ep of theirs is just 3 songs, but all 3 tracks clock in between 8-10 minutes.

The drumming and guitar work is excellent. And they use those wonderful segues with different quieter sections..sometimes piano, other times acoustic guitar..some of it jazzy, etc.

Go to their myspace and listen to 'Skylines" and you'll see what I mean.

61EO-dATOeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I cannot wait to hear what they do next.

if you like this you really need to check out PROTEST THE HERO from Canada. they bring more of the Faith No More oddity like BTBAM and less scenester stuff that Painted In Exile seem to worship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe I missed this thread...

Painted In Exile is awesome for sure. I think they are a good deal more technical and jazzy than BTBAM, and less "old school" than Protest The Hero, but yeah, they definitely should appeal to fans of either of those bands. If you like this style, definitely check out The Beneath "City Of Light" - such an awesome album, and it SUCKS that the band has called it a day :(

Can't believe I missed this thread...

Painted In Exile is awesome for sure. I think they are a good deal more technical and jazzy than BTBAM, and less "old school" than Protest The Hero, but yeah, they definitely should appeal to fans of either of those bands. If you like this style, definitely check out The Beneath "City Of Light" - such an awesome album, and it SUCKS that the band has called it a day :(

haha, more technical than BTBAM. maybe with studio trickery they are. we will wait until a live video surfaces and these kids can't play 1/4 of their riffs. ;)

BTBAM is the real deal.

haha, more technical than BTBAM. maybe with studio trickery they are. we will wait until a live video surfaces and these kids can't play 1/4 of their riffs. ;)

BTBAM is the real deal.

I don't for a second doubt that BTBAM is the real deal. I love their stuff.

I'm just saying that the Painted In Exile EP is more technical and jazzy in terms of composition than most BTBAM material. That said, I've got no clue if they can actually play this live or not. But you can't take away from their songwriting that it's "uber-tech" ;)