Pale Haunt Departure recording/mix notes

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
This album is quickly becoming one of my favorite metal productions of all time. I'm not sure if Dan or Paul from ND still post here, but I would be eternally grateful to get some notes about how this album shaped up.

What guitar chain, which drums, which mics, what reverb unit etc. etc. all that fun stuff :)

I love that guitar sound more than anything, but I can't put my finger on what amp it sounds like. Sounds like a distortion pedal driving some tube amp or another. The multiple tracks of rhythm really do add up to give an immense sound.

hi moonlapse, how have you been man?

i'd recommend you to go and ask on the ND forum. both guitarists (larry = nmvrsdoom5, vito = balanceofpower) and paul post there almost every day.

dan posts here once or twice a week too, but I guess he can only tell you about the mixing process.

by the way, ND also sounded beyond-crushing in a live setting ;)

This album is quickly becoming one of my favorite metal productions of all time. I'm not sure if Dan or Paul from ND still post here, but I would be eternally grateful to get some notes about how this album shaped up.

What guitar chain, which drums, which mics, what reverb unit etc. etc. all that fun stuff :)

I love that guitar sound more than anything, but I can't put my finger on what amp it sounds like. Sounds like a distortion pedal driving some tube amp or another. The multiple tracks of rhythm really do add up to give an immense sound.

Cool that you like it.
The setup I used for that mix was
3.0 ghz PC with Nuendo 2 and 3 UAD-1 card with almost all licenses.
(Soon replaced with Frost Quad core 2.55 Ghz with 2 UAD-1 and Cubase 4)
Yamaha NS-10m (Now replaced with Genelec 8240)
All reverbs etc. comes from the incredible Plate 140 off the UAD-1
No outboard units (Not even a mixingconsole) was using during the mixdown, only software with dedicated DSP cards.
The drums are a mix between acoustic DW and samples of the same kit to add Push to certains parts. The guitars got a very little treatment. Some dynamic EQ around 100 hz and a little EQ (Cambridge from UAD-1) to soften the annoying "nodes" from the Marshall speaker cones (often around 2200 and 3300 hertz). The bass was most likely sent thru the UAD multiband compressor. The vocals got some spank from the UAD Multiband too. A fantastic tool by the way. I left the mix without any bus compressor or anything to James Murphy for the mastering.

Dan

Thanks Dan for the really prompt answer! It's cool to see that you're another fan of the UAD plug-ins. I've heard great things, but have never really looked into them.

If you don't mind me asking, was there one verb used on the entire mix, or did you vary them for different elements in the track? What frequency ranges do you normally treat with the multiband compressor on bass and vocals?

Amazing to hear that such a great mix was done entirely ITB. Fantastic job, Dan, I'll have to look into their new album ASAP.

Also if you don't mind me asking, was there any usage of room mics on the kit or was it all the Plate 140 reverb and the direct tracks + OHs?

@Antz0r: I've been good man, mainly just working on the career. How about you? I may just take your advice and ask the ND guys on what they used to track. Those guitars are truly something different. I'm not used to hearing a recorded guitar sound like that. Or might just hope that they stumble upon this thread, hehe.

@Antz0r: I've been good man, mainly just working on the career. How about you? I may just take your advice and ask the ND guys on what they used to track. Those guitars are truly something different. I'm not used to hearing a recorded guitar sound like that. Or might just hope that they stumble upon this thread, hehe.

Yeah Dan rocks with his quick answer :worship:

Anyway you will want to check out the ND forum, it's a great place just like this, friendly people :)

What sounds so special to you about those guitars?

I can tell you what guitars they used live, but I guess you might as well ask them themselves :)