THE PALE HAUNT DEPARTURE - Select Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Review by Keith Bergman @ www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net

Being the best American doom metal band is sorta like being the best Italian chef in Des Moines. You may kick ass, but a lot of purists are gonna hold your address against you before they've sampled a bit of what you have to offer. NOVEMBERS DOOM has been dealing with this stigma since their inception — as if only fog-bound Limeys squelching along dark moors in ratty capes can properly convey the mournful throb of melancholy that is doom. True, many originators of the sound, the ones NOVEMBERS DOOM look to for inspiration — MY DYING BRIDE, ANATHEMA and PARADISE LOST — come from the U.K. But hell, the best cowboy songs were written by nerdy Jews in Brooklyn, as ARLO GUTHRIE once said (and if he didn't, he should've). No one chunk of earth has the market cornered on graceful, sodden misery, and to ignore NOVEMBERS DOOM for ethnocentric reasons is to deny some of the best, bleakest dark metal in existence.

The sound on "The Pale Haunt Departure" is massive, great walls of dark, opaque guitars crashing down, chugging along at a tempo that conveys an urgency and brooding sense of menace. Musically, at least, there's a passing resemblance to OPETH in places (something the band would undoubtedly dispute, but listen to "In the Absence of Grace" — its swing, its tempo and chords — and tell me it's not true). There's something almost regal about NOVEMBERS DOOM; their sound maintains that sedate, classy Continental vibe but holds onto a tension and aggression, even in the slowest songs, that none of the "old guard" of doom really captured in this form, then or now.

The star of "The Pale Haunt Departure" is undoubtedly vocalist (and sole original member) Paul Kuhr. His death vocals are deep and authoritative, while his clean vocals, always good, have never sounded better. His ability to carry a melodic chorus ("Dark World Burden"), pull off the multi-tracked Gregorian midsection of "In the Absence of Grace" (a truly spine-tingling moment), or bellow the emotionally charged lyrics of "Swallowed by the Moon" beside the gothic, soul-baring love paean "Autumn Reflection is stunning. The sense of loss and failure he brings to the depressive lyrics of "The Dead Leaf Echo" and "Swallowed By the Moon" is just heart-wrenching, a triptych to the edge of shameful despair, uncomfortably painful and personal (one hopes, for his sake, that he's writing in character).

NOVEMBERS DOOM are still evolving, shedding some influences (the oh-so-1999 female vocals are gone) and absorbing others, even as they become metric tons heavier and more powerful with each release. "The Pale Haunt Departure" is the kind of record you almost wanna call a work of art, an obsidian hulk of crushing guitars and primal sorrow, heartbreak and the futility of life captured in sonic form. An epic statement and a watershed in doom metal, location be damned.

Reviewed by: Ciaran Tracey - www.metalireland.com
5/5 - CD of the month

In terms of grace, poise, weight and skill of execution, few albums released this year will be able to compete with "The Pale Haunt Departure". This is one of those records that declares its brilliance upon even the first listen. You wont need to analyse it, and there will be no need to term it a grower. It doesnt demand scrutiny, and needs no hype. It is simply an album of excellence and class, a fact that will be reassuringly obvious from the very second this incredible Metal hits your earlobes. Alternating between strident and morose Doom that is a reasonably perfect mix of both, their attention to fantastic songwriting has not diminished their inherent melancholy. This means that while the (incredible) title track is completely memorable from even a cursory listen, its lyrical savvy and brutal delivery remain uncompromised by its underlying hook. And that is the story of nearly every track, no matter how ponderous they sometimes allow themselves to be.

Vocalist Paul Kuhr is now of one the very finest in extreme metal, and crystallises what we all want from an underground singer. Few throats equal his brutal bellow, which it should be made clear is meant in the real sense of the word - the force behind his utterances is simply uncanny - whilst his clean tones strike just the right balance between sardonically detached and tunefully understated. Summoning the best stylings of the classicly gruff Aaron Stainthorpe and the guttural phlegminess of our own Darren Moore, Kuhr's vocal work is one of the paramount reasons to buy this great cd. You wont hear a performance like it. As if it couldnt get any better, the lyrics are personal and heartfelt - particularly on the twin brilliances of "Swallowed By The Moon" and "Autumn Reflection".

It also packs a lot of variety. From the epic, almost While Heaven Wept sounding guitars to the booming Solstice-esque drumming, there is much to lose the senses in. Taking a detour from the format, "Through The Child's Eyes" displays exactly the kind of music that Opeth should still be making, had they not unfortunately hit the auto pilot switch some years ago; its a track that reminds of 'Orchid' in its dalliance, and showcases everything that made that record great - atmosphere, filigree and authenticity, the three key things that the Swedes have long lost. The fact that this is all topped off with none other than a Dan Swanö mix must surely make it all the more necessary a purchase given his past and continuing meisterwerk.

Content not only with this organ's highest mark, "The Pale Haunt Departure" is also awarded the rarely granted yet jealously coveted Earl Grey award - an accolade bestowed only unto those albums of searing introspection, capable of conjuring the atmosphere of Autumnal eventides even when British Summer Time so cruelly asserts itself, as it did this week, with only the brimming mug of sweet bergamot to remind us of longer evenings when the clocks still kept a reasonable hour.

Review by: Rance - Global Domination : www.statikmajik.com/gd/
9 / 10

It's been a little while since a truly excellent album has come across my desk for review. I've received a few good releases that I write some good things about. I've received a few crappy ones that I write other, perhaps more negative things about. Of course, then there are the few that are utter shite that I don't even want to write anything about, and would rather throw in the street and watch cars run over them... but, what can you do?

Being vaguely familiar with this Chicago based quintet, I did have high hopes for this album. Novembers Doom is one of America's only good "doom/death" metal bands. The U.S. just can't seem to contend with the likes of Europe and their exports like My Dying Bride, Opeth and Saturnus in the "doom/death" genre - I don't know why. Regardless, Novembers Doom are making waves, in my ears, with this release. In many ways, I enjoy this album more than the most recent offerings from Europe's doomiest.

With a stellar production, straightforward lyrics and varied vocal and song structures, "The Pale Haunt Departure" is Novembers Doom's heaviest and most sophisticated album to date. They take cues from the classics, like the aforementioned bands My Dying Bride and Opeth, as well as from the early recordings of Anathema and Paradise Lost. This is by no means a copy-cat album, though. Novembers Doom introduce some rather elegant acoustic interludes and catchy as all fuck rockin-riffage. Each track is passionate and at the same time, crushing. This album has a sensibility that could carry it even beyond the underground, into the cd player of some bright-eyed and bushy-tailed Linkin Park fan... and it would seem to be the coolest and newest thing in the world, even though Novembers Doom have been pumping out these kinds of tracks since 1989.

I'm just glad that 2005 is finally yielding some good heavy music... I was beginning to doubt this year altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.