THE PALE HAUNT DEPARTURE - Select Reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
This review was emailed to me this evening, and I'm honestly blown away by this. I can only hope for more of this to come! haha!
--------------------------------------------

Novembers Doom
The Pale Haunt Departure (2005)
The End Records
10 out of 10

I've have been into the metal scene for a long time, and a fan of many styles of music, from Death metal, Progressive metal, Power metal, Metal core, Industrial, and Doom. Many CD's cross my desk daily, and I do my best to listen to them, and write a fair review of what I hear. My ears have been graced with so much amazing talent through the years, and my love for music occasionally leaves me with something from time to time that is an impressive mark, or a wound, so deeply, that it will be with me forever. 'The Pale Haunt Departure' is that CD.

I have enjoyed Novembers Doom's music in the past, and the bands last work, 'To Welcome the Fade' struck me as a struggle of a great band, not sure what direction they needed to head in. With songs like "Not the Strong" pounding in the heavy side of things, to the strangely out of place "Torn," which was a serious blemish on this disc. Helmed by Neil Kernon, the production was beyond fantastic, and helped Novembers Doom create a sometimes brilliant, and sometimes lost sounding CD.

Needless to say, I had anticipated this CD for quite some time, and it was so worth the wait. I will try to elaborate on each song if I can, and give you a better idea on what gems you will find here.

The CD starts, and an amazingly creepy vibe overcomes you as voices, beautiful voices, send shivers up your spine. I jumped up, and turned down the lights, as this was going to help set the mood of what was to come. The title track, "The Pale haunt Departure" is what just started, and after several seconds of this eerie voice comes a thundering tribal type beat. Then a glimpse of heavy guitar. The build up in the first 30 seconds has already put my mind in a state of chill, and when the guitars come in, it's a punch to the face of heavy, crunching, and a loud wall of sound. It set's a standard here, and commands your attention. When the song is in full swing, the real treat for me was Paul Kuhrs growls. I have never heard him sound like this before. In my opinion, he has always been one of the very best at what he does, but this is so much more. It's as if he's found a deeper and more comfortable place to sing from, and it will scare you. The song is relentless, and never lets up, only for a drum and bass entwined build up to more abuse. This could easily become the bands standard song. I am blown away, and baby, we're on track number 1!

The second track, "Swallowed By the Moon" starts with a beautiful soft section, and some spoken word moments before it launches into a crunchy, metal onslaught. This song is very memorable, with some stunning guitar work from both Vito Marchese, and Larry Roberts, who both play as tightly as a machine. Then a section of the song surprises me. I guess you can call it the chorus. It utilizes Paul kuhrs clean vocal style, and sounds amazing, from start to finish. This song is fantastic. One element I must address are the lyrics of this song. If I read into this correctly, this is simply one of the most depressing songs I have read. Saying goodbye to a loved one, especially a child is always hard to do, and when you read these lyrics, you will be changed on the inside. Absolutely brilliant.

"Autumn Reflection" is one of two songs on this CD that will stand out from the others. Not for being a lost duck, like some songs on previous Novembers Doom CD's, this song will stand out because of the pure talent this song has captured. For a safe label, I'll call this their power ballad. Don't mistake this for a wimpy, whining love song though. "Autumn Reflection" is absolutely beautiful all the way through. The guitar players have managed to capture a sense of urgency in this song, and every bit of emotion they have, drip from every note. This song is very mellow, and at times, rises up with strength and distortion to reach you by the throat, and hold your breath still until the song ends. Again, vocally, this is easily Paul Kuhrs best work to date. The sadness in his voice allows you to truly believe what he's saying, and it leaves the listener with a tremendous feeling of hope. I actually had to wipe my eyes after this one.

When the next song starts, a strong drive takes over, and we're launched into the rocking "Dark World Burden." This song explodes with energy, and it's up tempo rhythm forces you to move your head up and down. Growling vocals, and a cleanly sung chorus section rounds this song out nicely, and even ends with a pleasant surprise. Dan Swano graces the disc with a guitar solo, right out of Moontower, or Edge of Sanity. It's placed perfectly, and was really a nice touch to this song.

As if track number 1 were not enough to scare you, "In the Absence of Grace" begins with an odd sounding, clean guitar, maybe acoustic, intro, and without warning, you're hit with a song, so powerful, it will give "The Pale Haunt Departure" a good fight. This song is dark and creepy, and yes, extremely heavy. I am hooked into this beast instantly, as it's fangs clamp onto my head. This is an 8 minute beating of the heaviest kind. An aural punishment for thinking I knew what heavy was. The metal gods are smiling at Novembers Doom for this song.

"The Dead Leaf Echo" begins while I'm still cleaning my shorts out from the last track. This song, to my best musical experience, is very straight forward. Probably the most obvious song on the disc. I say this because it sounds like what I expected from this band to produce this time around. Certainly not a disappointment in any way. Let me put it this way. This song could have been one of the best if it were on 'To Welcome the Fade.' On this CD, the bar has been raised, the songs all shine, and this ones job is to put you in a comfort zone, where any fan of the bands will enjoy.

One of the most thought provoking, and lyrically beautiful songs on this CD is 'Through a Child's Eyes.' When the music starts, you can hear a child's laughter, accompanied by an acoustic guitar, and sets up a moment of serenity. I instantly thought of "If Forever" from the bands last CD, 'To Welcome the Fade' when the drums came in. I thought "If Forever" was brilliant, but this song almost left me speechless. I don't have the words to describe it's beauty, and sadness. This is a perfect example of dynamics in music, and depth in a song. You feel as if you are sitting in a room, and the band is playing this just for you. Almost campfire like, this will take you to another place, and make you think. A perfect way to capture a moment and deliver it for all of us to enjoy.

With a devastating punch, "Collapse of the Falling Throe" starts, and and a smile appears on my face. This is old school Novembers Doom. A slow, heavy, and brutal intro riff thunders along in a way, any doom metal fan will rejoice in. As the song progresses, a heavy epic feeling overwhelms you, and holds your attention with ease. Spoken word passages, mixing with growling, and a very moody guitar line carries it all along. Then, something happens. Just when you get comfortable into the song, and think you have it all figured out, there's a moment of clarity, followed by a surge of energy, that builds up to a very proud feeling moment. The end of this song really drives the CD home, and is a perfect choice to end on.

This is easily the best vocal performance to date by Paul Kuhr. The power of his growls, and the beauty of his clean voice carries this CD from start to finish. The guitar work from Larry Roberts and Vito Marchese never once sound forced, and are performed with clarity, and amazing power. This could not be a better mix of guitar players. The Bass guitar is simple, yet fitting for this CD. Mike LeGros shows us that a strong, steady bass line will cement the foundation of the CD, and lock it down for the notes to resonate. Joe Nunez sounds like a machine, with the precision of his hands and feet. Songs like the title track are as powerful as it is because of this. Very solid, and steady as he drives this monster for almost an hour. The production on this CD is stellar. Being a fan of Neil Kernons, when I heard this was being mixed by Dan Swano, I instantly thought that this would be a mistake, not that I dislike Dan Swanos work, but I felt "To Welcome the Fade" was so perfect for Novembers Doom, production wise, that this change would be career suicide. I was wrong. I was so very wrong, in fact, that I believe this sounds superior to Mr Kernons work in every way. Dan Swano has managed to capture what this band has lacked, and to be honest, I didn't know what that was until I listened to 'The Pale Haunt Departure.' This CD has life, and it will shine above and beyond not only any release Novembers Doom have recorded, but shine above every release on their label, The End Records. This folks, is as close to perfection as you can come.

Reviewed by Dan K. - Freelance writer and metal reviewer

Posted by: ArchBishop FrankenChokey the V

speechless

I've heard the new ND all the way through (several times) and...its FUCKING RULES!!! They've done it again, however its a slight departure from the older material in that its a bit faster than what they've done in the past. But Paul is all over the map w/ his voice! The best cleans, and highs I've heard from him on record. That being said, I don't think he's ever done bad cleans or highs, just these are better. The riff work is top notch as are the drums. Everyone will shit themselves upon hearing this, the BEST Metal cd of 2005!

Novembers Doom-The Pale Hunt Departure-CD (The End Records)

After 10 yrs and 5 labels I think Novembers Doom have found a home that can help the take there amazing music to the next level. If the Art work and the 1st track have anything to say about it. This the Most original sound material of there career and The Damn strongest as well. I've Never heard Paul's Growls more on top of his game then on this track . The Guitars are crushing and the Thick and Heavy Bass and Drums are just perfection. The Artwork in what most be 10-15 page booklet reminds me a lot of "Something wicked this way comes" (if any of you know that movie). After 2 Tracks This is my favorite Nov Doom Cds by light years No longer are they just a Doom metal band they are A BAND!!!!. They have just floored me with this and were just in the beginning of the CD. The Mixing by Dan Swano and Mastering done by James Murphy of Death and Testament Fame. Really adds to the monsterous sounds. The Aggression that always seemed lacking before is here with the Melodic and Lush sounds they have always been able to put across on pass releases. Now with the End backing a Video for them . I Wish my Friends Paul, Larry and Joe all the best in the world my you finally conquer the Metal World like you should have back in the late 90's. Damn This release is really that good.

http://www.theendrecords.com/

--
Absolute Zero Media
http://www.absolutezeromedia.us/

(Magazine, Radio Show and Home to
As All Die, Broken Hands For
Brilliant Minds, A Darkened Sea)

NEW PERM Mailing Address!!!
Absolute Zero Media
3655 W Anthem WAY
Suite A-109 Pmb 212
anthem az 85086 usa

Phoenix Industrial Fest
Sat April 16th
Perihelion Arts-Phoenix AZ

Mailing list- absolutezeromedia-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
My projects

As All Die
http://www.myspace.com/asalldie
http://www.download.com/asalldie

Broken Hands For Brilliant Minds
http://www.myspace.com/brokenhandsforbrilliantminds
http://www.download.com/brokenhandforbrilliantminds

A Darkened Sea
http://www.myspace.com/adarkenedsea
http://www.download.com/adarkenedsea

This is not so much a review, as insider comments from the distribution to the sales force, but I wanted to show you guys whats being said...

<<NOVEMBERS DOOM- The pale haunt departure.

Let me start by saying that unless some other album comes out in the next 10 months that is so stupendous, so well crafted and so well done in general, this may very well be my album of the year. This new release is very possibly one of the best I have heard in a long time. It is dark and heavy, but unlike their last release (To Welcome the fade) the pace on this album is much faster. Also, the heavily tuned down sound has been tossed for a more melodic stature. The band members definitely have found their best sound so far. Don’t get me wrong, this is still all gloom and doom music, but there is a hint that they might be taking a slightly more aggressive turn in their style. If their last album was a 7 on a scale of 1-10, then this album is an 11 or higher.>>

From The Darkest Hours

Novembers Doom are finally back with another killer production. I always love the big powerfull guitar sound that I can only describe as the Novembers Doom guitar sound! It sounds so heavy, so big, so everything....! Mixed by the mighty Dan Swanö & mastered by James Murphy, The Pale Haunt Departure is perfect if we're talking about production! Musically, we can talk about another masterpiece of melancholic doom metal. Slow tempo with strong guitars, emotional clean vocals that sounds amazing and of course the guttural death growls that sounds like 10 death metal singers singing at the same time! It's always easy to describe Novembers Doom: Doom, Powerfull, Dark, Sadness & Sorrows,etc... Textures ,amazing landscape, deep acoustical passages and of course, crushing heavy riffs that will blow you away. Fans of the genre have to check out that band now! This album is as strong as 'To Welcome the Fade'. The unique ND vibe is there, the pure emotions are there and you'll definitly feel something when you'll take a listen. Listening to this CD is like a journey into darkness. And I know that everytimes that I'm reviewing a ND cd I'm repeating myself but man, the same elements are always there but it's always darker and the melancholy is always pushed to the max so what do you want me to write?! hehe! Also, the artwork of this CD is more than amazing! WOW! This is pure art!! This is a top notch record and if you're looking for something dark & heavy, it's a blind buy and you won't be dissapointed!

Patrick

From www.pahardcore.com

Overall Score: 89/100
Technicality: 89/100
Originality: 87/100
Vocals: 91/100

Review:
I'm sure a ton of people don't like this band, but I do. The mood they set is similar to most other bands I like. An overall eerily gothic sound that is an artificial depression.

They have pounding heavy bass parts, melodic flowing parts, and doom influenced interludes. The vocals are either a deep growl or clean soulfull vocals. The lyrics are mostly regarding death, depression, and loss of love. So I guess it's safe to say that these guys use music as their psychologist, which is better than spending the 200/hr.

This isn't anything groundbreaking or amazing, but I did enjoy it quite a bit, and will be listening to it plenty in the future. It's just my kind of music, what can I say.

From www.geocities.com/krepuskulum/

NOVEMBERS DOOM – The Pale Haunt Departure (CD – The End Records). This is a perfect album! I always think why NOVEMBERS DOOM never was included in the list of doom metal worldwide heroes!!!! The band exists since 1989 and their trajectory is very exemplar, personal and powerful! To me, NOVEMBERS DOOM can’t be compared with another doom metal acts, the band’s music has a lot of personality and creativity, and the morbid deep riffs created by Larry Roberts and Vito Marchese are singular in the metal’s history, it’s unique and very intense, as the emotive vocals of the legendary Paul Kuhr. “The Pale Haunt Departure” was very waited by me, I really love the 5 previous albums, especially “The Knowing”, including in my list of the 10 best doom metal albums, but now I will include another NOVEMBERS DOOM masterpiece in this list, because “The Pale…” is wonderful, a real masterpiece of dark doom atmospheric metal, with great production, impressive creepy personal artwork (created by Attila Kis in a style very influenced by Dave McKean) – and 51 minutes of pure heavy and caustic true doom metal experience, 8 tracks that I never forget, above all “ Autumn Reflection”, “The Dead Left Echo” & “Through a Child’s Eyes”. Doom phenomena’s!

Posted on Ultimate Metal By Jason Jordan

You’ll forget the weaknesses of To Welcome the Fade as soon as The Pale Haunt Departure begins. This time, Novembers Doom have progressed significantly since their previous effort. And, The End Records has not only gobbled up a strong band for their roster, but they also have another worthy contender for album of the year.

What will immediately catch your eye is the stunning artwork found within the liner notes. It is similar to the incomparable style of Travis Smith, but was actually illustrated by Attila Kis. Other famous faces pop up in the mixing and mastering departments too. Helming the mixing board is none other than Dan Swano (Bloodbath, Edge of Sanity, Nightingale), and at the mastering board is figurehead James Murphy (Testament, Obituary, ex-Death). So, with an illustrious crew, Novembers Doom plow through numbers like the uber-heavy “The Pale Haunt Departure” and ultra-dense “Swallowed by the Moon.” The instrumentation found on this particular record is great, and Kuhr’s vocal performance is spot-on. I love that I can actually understand what he’s saying, and that his vocalizations are obviously not unintelligible. Kuhr’s clean vox are notable as well; the aforementioned are perhaps in the same bleak vein as Agalloch’s. “Autumn Reflection” is much more flaccid than its predecessors, but is still welcome despite its penchant for softness. “Dark World Burden” utilizes the old double-bass while the cataclysmic riffs chug along. If you desire a powerful performance, look no further than the vocal, entry point in “Dark World Burden.” The 2:40 minute mark is strangely enrapturing, as is the acoustic-laden “In the Absence of Grace.” The familiar juxtaposition between soft and hard passages is conjured shortly after inception, though. “The Dead Leaf Echo” is much more organic than other songs on The Pale Haunt Departure, and is reminiscent of mellow Agalloch with the sensibility of, dare I say, Enslaved. I hear some Enslaved in there somewhere. “Collapse of the Falling Throe” is perhaps the closest that Novembers Doom come to the doom style on the full-length. Its slow, steady pace aids the aforesaid notion, but the composition does elevate to at least a mid-paced tempo.

It’s not impossible to draw comparisons to other bands when listening to The Pale Haunt Departure, but Novembers Doom have trudged a long way to get to this point. This album is their vindication. If you like Agalloch, Opeth, and others with dejected visages, then you’ll eat this up. If you don’t like any of the bands mentioned in the review, you’ll probably still be swayed by much of The End Records’s latest offering.

9/10

Review By: darksoul @ www.darksoul7.com

Chicago's November's Doom return this year with their sixth release since it's creation in 1989. With its internal quarrel in 1996, a follow up to "Amid It's Hallowed Mirth" never being recorded and some of the most intensive label jumping, November's Doom managed to keep going and release "The Pale Haunt Departure" on The End Records. This doleful album features eight melancholic tracks of heavy doom/death.

The album takes off with the title track, "The Pale Haunt Departure", a powerful track filled with intense yet very clear death metal growls. The guitar and tom roll intro add a progressive element to the song while the chorus retains the dirge-like Doom element. Next is “Swallowed by the Moon". This track has an overwhelming sense of disconsolation. The lyrics speak of a father asking his child for forgiveness for dying. This mournfulness translates to the music extremely well with anguished growls and sorrowful singing. This dark repentance continues through "Autumn Reflection". Light and slow, this song is like a grey day in October where the colors seem to be washed away by the rain. Clean vocals and guitars reminiscent of Opeth’s "Damnation" carry the listener through the verses while Katatonia influenced distortion guitars serve as a guide through the chorus. Piano and double kick create a moving end to this emotional song. The fourth track is a bit heavier. A clean intro erupts into palm muted chugs and roaring growls contrast the clean sung chorus.

A soft acoustic guitar is the only warning to the attack of "In the Absence of Grace". Its heavy growls and mid-paced tempo create an air of ferocity while the harmonious break down keeps it passionate. "The Dead Leaf Echo" drifts in with dual acoustical melodies and soft singing, and progresses into electric power and vocal rage. Chorus lines not unlike those heard in Frantic Bleep's "The Sense Apparatus" and folkloric acoustic work polish off this track’s mid-break. "Through a Child's Eyes" begins with a melody reminiscent of Agalloch’s “The Mantle". Harmonized vocals, acoustic guitars and light, almost brush played drums sing a dark lullaby of betrayal in innocence. The final dirge is "Collapse of the Falling Throe". A creeping pace and enveloping chords gently lead to pounding rhythms accented by intimidating vocals and frightening passion.

The album was mixed by the great Dan Swanö and mastered by Testament's James Murphy. In other words, it sounds amazing. The tom hits in the opening tracks sound as if the listener is standing right in front of the drum set. The guitars are amazingly thick and clear. The bass is a bit in the background but holds up the rest of the instruments quite well. The vocals are nothing less than impressive as the growls and the clean vocals are perfectly mixed.

Fans of Opeth, Paradise Lost, Katatonia and the like should not pass this up. Fans of melody, fierce avidity, and mournful hymns will also want to add this to their collection. Chicago's proven it can spawn a band worthy of its European counterparts and November's Doom is that band.

Reviewed by Pete Pardo @ www.seaoftranquility.org

Chicago's November's Doom have created some interesting gothic & doomy symphonic death metal with their fifth release The Pale Haunt Departure. While this style of metal has been mostly done successfully over the years by European bands, it's refreshing to see an American band put out a decent effort in this genre. November's Doom mix crushing guitar riffs with symphonic keyboards, death growls & melodic clean vocals, acoustic interludes, and poetic lyrics.

The first thing that struck me was the fantastic cover art by Attila Kis, depicting an ominous run down farm with creepy scarecrows hanging all over the dried out and deserted fields. The bleak feel that the cover art creates is carried over throughout the booklet as well, with many paintings of this farm, its inhabitants, as well as the scarecrows, giving a chilling visual portrait to go along with the crushing yet dark songs from November's Doom.

"The Pale Haunt Departure" tells the tale of the scarecrow, of longing and faith, of rising again. Filled with death metal growls and thunderous guitar riffs, this title track opens the album up with a bang. "Swallowed by the Moon" is a very gothic piece with clean and death vocals, with lyrics of a failed father who reaches out to his child on the eve of his death. With rampaging riffs and symphonic keyboards that supplement the clean vocals on the chorus quite nicely, the band also throws in some gentle acoustic moments, which add some interesting variety here that reminded me of some of the more progressive moments on the most recent releases from Dark Tranquility, Opeth, and Bjorknagar.

Longing, faith, love, and rememberance are the messages on the passionate & emotional "Autumn Reflection", a real departure for the band, and a style that I'd love to hear more of. Here, singer Paul Kuhr goes for complete clean vocals, very haunting in their delivery, that soar above the acoustic guitar passages and driving electric thunder. The gothic nature of the piece adds a strange sort of commerciality, that one could envision some sort of mainstream acceptance happening given the right opportunity. Fans of gothic metal and even dark prog will really dig this track.

On "Dark World Burden", the band mixes intense death metal with the melodic gothic style, as the symphonic keyboards swirl around the relentless riffs and powerful rhythms while Kuhr's vocals go from evil growls to mysterious and chilling clean passages effortlessly. Guitarists Larry Roberts and Vito Marchese create a huge wall of sound here, and guest soloist Dan Swano drops in a melodic and tasy guitar lead at the end that finishes off an impressive tune. "In the Absence of Grace" is a grinding doom piece of hate, despair, and lonliness, while "The Dead Leaf Echo" is a depressive song of intense inner turmoil and failure, and not a piece to listen to if you want your spirits to be uplifted. Rest assured, the band switches gears a little on the acoustic "Through a Child's Eyes", a gentle and lovely piece that has some tender guitar work and emotional vocals. The final song, "Collapse of the Fallen Throe", is a driving rocker with excellent multi-layered rhythm guitar work, keyboards, and varied vocal styes, and ends the album on a real highnote.

So, what's the verdict? Well, The Pale Haunt Departure is not something you will want to put on if you are entertaining guests, want something to go jogging to, or to bring in some cheerful ambience. However, this is some seriously gothic and progressive extreme metal, doomy and depressing yes, but expertly played and executed. So pop this in the next time you feel like spending some quality time in front of the fire on a dark rainy or snowy night, with a bottle of your favorite spirit, and indulge in the dark and gothic sounds courtesy of November's Doom.

Review by Josh Joesten @ www.zeromag.com

Hailing from Chicago, IL, Novembers Doom is just like their name, doom. Doom being that slow, sludgy, Black Sabbath style of metal that embodies dark and foreboding time signatures, death/despair lyrical motifs, and an overall sadness that would send any goth fan for their hankies. Doom is the antithesis of your standard chaotic American death metal; however, it manages to earn the respect of most metal heads all over. All the same, Chicago’s November’s Doom excels at the aforementioned traits of doom with their latest release, The Pale Haunt Departure.

The Pale Haunt Departure is a very bleak album filled with lyrics embodying suicide, unrequited love and overall despair for not being the person the speaker wanted to be. Musically, the band takes the listener through the range of emotions displayed. By saying this I mean the band fuses heavy, unhurried guitar riffs with clean toned melodic breakdowns accompanied by a hint of keyboards to add to the darkness. “Autumn Reflection” is one such track as is “Swallowed by the Moon,” and “The Dead Leaf Echo.” At times the band reminds me of My Dying Bride; however, Novembers Doom have managed to create their own morose style of doom as showcased with this latest offering.

Reviewed by Alex @ www.metalreviews.com

90/100 - Awarded "Album of the Month"

I remember myself reviewing To Welcome the Fade by Novembers Doom a couple of years ago and being all nitpicky about it. Then, a few months afterwards, I read vocalist Paul Kuhr interview in Metal Maniacs on his dealings with constant debilitating backpain, understood the importance of the cover art on To Welcome the Fade, re-read the lyrics and listened to the album for another half a dozen times – and it finally hit me. I have sold that album short, I didn’t give it enough chance. Given that Paul Kuhr and I have had similar life circumstances (living with pain, firstborn daughter arrival) I have gotten in tune with his emotions on the album and To Welcome the Fade is often used around my brain as an emotional crutch.

I have been awaiting the follow-up to To Welcome the Fade with uneasy anticipation hoping that the new album would have me hooked instantly, not take a while to sink in. The Pale Haunt Departure is upon us and, objectivity be damned, I love this album. With this album Midwesterners Novembers Doom graduated into the highest class of atmospheric doom death.

The opening title track, Swallowed by the Moon and In the Absence of Grace are, for the lack of a better word, Opethian. Relentless tribal drumming by Joe Nunez on The Pale Haunt Departure pushes forth monstrous tri-tonal riffs. This is towering music that yields only so slightly for a more atmospheric relaxed chorus and guitar interlude. Amid this hurricane of harsh, somber and serene emotions rages Paul Kuhr, his growl very comparable to Mikael Akerfeldt.

As much as The Pale Haunt Departure is consistent in terms of no wasted notes, no fat or slop on the album, it is also varied in terms of tracks put together by Novembers Doom. Autumn Reflection and Through a Child’s Eyes are acoustic and introspective. With all due respect to Mikael Akerfeldt, Paul Kuhr presents his clean vocals in a very quiet yet even more emotional manner. And how could he not, singing about the birth of his daughter judging from the lyrics on Autumn Reflection. Even though my little girl is not always an “angel” I also “thank heavens” for her, as she had me become “stronger since she came into my life”. Ethereal nature of Through a Child’s Eye which stays atmospheric throughout contrasts the funeral melody and tempo of the closer Collapse of the Falling Throe which speeds up eventually and finishes the album with truly monolithic riffs. To add another twist into the mix Dark World Burden is a dark driving steady structured rocker with menacing growl in the verse and catchy clean chorus. Such songs were the staple of the late days Edge of Sanity, and, what do you know, Dan Swano has mixed the album and contributed the lead on Dark World Burden.

With every next album Novembers Doom has been building. With a relatively steady line-up they have progressed along nicely, I own their whole back catalog. With The Pale Haunt Departure, however, the band has reached a new plateau. Congratulations are then in order to The End Records who flew the coup and snatched Novembers Doom right as they are reaching the peak of their creativity. As far as my personal feelings are concerned, I have been experiencing almost physical pleasure listening to The Pale Haunt Departure for about a week now and I am sure this album will stay with me for a while.

Killing Songs :
The Pale Haunt Departure, Autumn Reflection, Dark World Burden, The Dead Leaf Echo, Collapse of the Falling Throe

Reviewed By: Thomas Mitchell @ www.metalfanatix.com

Rating: 97

A grave welcoming back is certainly in order for one of America's finest musical doom metal artists, Novembers Doom. "The Pale Haunt Departure" is a vast collage of majestic melodies with guttural vox, extremely precise percussion & bass instrumentation, and the expected (yet... unexpected) acoustic parts always keeping ND amidst the finest names in metal. Beyond any questions or doubts, this album is by far their best work yet! Such is apparent with the first two tracks (actually, all of the tracks- hehe): "The Pale Haunt Departure" and "Swallowed by the Moon", with a hauntingly brutal and melodic sense running parallel to each other. Then there are a few tracks like "The Dead Leaf Echo" and "Through A Child's Eyes" that set a picture of mysticism and harmonium like you were actually caught in a dream in some faraway landscape. Any added incentives to this release is that none other than Mr. Dan Swanö mixed the album in his home town in Sweden and also guitar God himself, James Murphy, took precious care of the mastering duties in Florida. In essence, this album really got around!! With this being said, this new opus finds itself having elements of bands like Rush, Opeth, Edge Of Sanity, and even the mighty Black Sabbath collectively. A spectrum like this can only be embraced in the greater sense of the word! Paul, Vito (new guitar), Larry, Mike (new bass), and Joe have unleashed the album that for some few years now people have been waiting for from them. But don't take my word for it, experience it for yourself!!

Reviewed By: Wayfaerer @ Harm.US/666Metal.com

Novembers Doom is a band that I admit to quickly dismissing over the years. I heard bits and pieces of their last two releases (The Knowing and To Welcome the Fade), but they just seemed kind of "average" and I did not investigate further. However, I was immediately drawn to The Pale Haunt Departure due to the hauntingly beautiful artwork and it turned out to be quite a pleasant surprise when I gave it a few initial spins.

I'm not really sure of a distinct "label" you could brand Novembers Doom with, but this is something that will easily please fans of Agalloch, Opeth, and even Katatonia. They provide a dark and heavy atmosphere, dreamy acoustic passages, and emotive clean and growled vocals. If I had one word to describe this cd, it would be "powerful". The guitars are thick and meaty, going from thunderous intensity ("The Pale Haunt Departure") to the more melancholic and doomy ("Autumn Reflection") while maintaining power and melody. Vocalist Paul Kuhr has such a strong, emotional growl that I'd rank him up with Mikael Stanne. His clean singing elicits the same qualities and fits the band's sound to a tee, most notably on the completely acoustic "Through A Child's Eyes". Adding to this power is a pristine production featuring both Dan Swano and James Murphy giving a hand with with mixing and mastering duties.

With all the songs averaging about 6-8 minutes, Novembers Doom aptly display their ability to write captivating, dynamic musical compositions. Whether it's the punishing title track, the mellow "Autumn Reflection", or the epic "In the Absence of Grace", The Pale Haunt Departure's diversity is commendable. Additionally, the lyrics are exceptionally written. They evoke the emotions of sadness and despair yet remain hopeful and touching.

The Pale Haunt Departure is an essential release for those of us who enjoy intelligently written, layered, epic metal. Like Dark Tranquillity's Character, it reeks of the passion and creativity involved in its creation and deserves to be lauded by the metal community. Highly recommended!

Standout Tracks: The Pale Haunt Departure, Autumn Reflection, The Dead Leaf Echo, In the Absence of Grace

Reviewed by: Zach Palmer @ WWW.ABRASIVEROCK.COM

When I heard Novembers Doom being compared to Opeth, I was pretty skeptical. Now, there are many other comparisons drawn, but Opeth is one that always makes me wary. No one sounds like Opeth, and no one can sound like Opeth becauseŠ well, it's Opeth. And they rule. Anyhow, just a comparison obviously doesn't mean "hey, this band sounds exactly like Opeth!" so that was understood from the beginning. However, this is probably the closest to Opeth that any band could come and still accomplish two things: One being that they retain their own identity and two being that they don't sound like they are trying to copy the Swedes.

Novembers Doom are pretty much what you'd expect from a band with that moniker: a doom band. Well, death/doom metal, but not nearly as sluggish and slow as the likes of the best album of the year, Swallow the Sun's "The Morning Never Came". This is neither here nor there, because Novembers Doom do what they do very well. Paul Kuhr's clean vocals are very angry and anguished at the same time, and his death vocals are easily comparable to Mikael Akerfeldt in that they are deep, brutal, and heavy as fuck, yet you are still able to understand every word that comes out of his mouth just as well as if he were singing it in a clean voice.

At their base, Novembers Doom are on a whole different plane than Opeth, though there are some similarities in their sound, such as the clean/death vocal attack that is different from the N*Flaymez and Soilwork clones as well as the usage of acoustic passages that really bring out the emotion and add a whole new layer to the disc. The sound on this disc is also quite untouchable by other discs due to the fact that both Dan Swano and James Murphy worked on it (Dan mixed and James mastered the disc). All of this just simply adds up to a killer package.

This is a good death/doom disc, though not quite as slow as many of the discs I've become accustomed to in this particular genre, but it is solid songwriting and killer execution. The lyrics are depressing as hell, but isn't that what doom is all about? I'd recommend this big time, as it has a huge, widespread appeal due to the fact that it's not limited to death metal or doom fans. If nothing else, check out some mp3s of this killer disc.

Review by Dream_Taster @ WWW.METALSTORM.EE

Rating: 9

The best Dark Metal band from the US is back baby! The Doom combo from Chicago that is Novembers Doom is there and there's no stopping them. 'The Pale Haunt Departure' is the title of their last epic record and it will continue to put the band alongside masters such as Opeth and Katatonia. The band saw the departure of Eric Burnley on guitars, traded for Vito Marchese who was already part of the Novembers Doom family. The rest of the lineup is unchanged with Paul Kuhr [vocals], Larry Roberts [guitars, keys], Joe Nunez [drums] and Mike LeGros [bass, who left the band since the recording]. Eric is still contributing on keyboards.

While their previous album 'To Welcome The Fade' sometimes flirted with Gothic melodies, 'The Pale Haunt Departure' demarks itself with a more consistent Doom feeling to it. Some melodies could clearly be on an Anathema record, with a more aggressive attitude, and it surely sounds amazing. Overall, the album appears more atmospheric than 'To Welcome The Fade' as the opening number/title track reveals, bringing Novembers Doom to another level of musicianship. The record clocks just below 52 minutes of first-rate Doom Metal and has the steadiness of a masterpiece such as Opeth's "Blackwater Park", exciting from the first note to the last.

Paul Kuhr is displaying his talents through his typical deep growling/singing and now even more frequent clean vocals than ever before. Thus, listening to 'Autumn Reflection' is blissful as Paul only uses clean vocals on that one and it shines bright on this album.

With excellent production and engineering, mixed by musician/producer Dan Swanö [Edge Of Sanity, Bloodbath, Nightingale] and mastered by guitarist James Murphy [Death, Obituary, Testament], this album has the most professional sound actually available and it also perfectly fits Novembers Doom's musical style. The artwork by Attila Kis is gorgeous, very eye-catching and totally "doomish".

Better than ever, Novembers Doom signs a hell of an album, blending terrific acoustic guitars with atmospheric melodies and transcending vocals. Among the "new bands" hailing from the USA, these guys have the biggest potential to conquer the international market. Fans of Anathema, Opeth, Katatonia and My Dying Bride must listen to 'The Pale Haunt Departure' as it will probably be the best record in the genre this year. As for the rest of you, discovering this talented combo through this album would be the smartest thing you'd ever do.

Highlights: 'The Pale Haunt Departure', 'Autumn Reflection', 'Dark World Burden' and 'Through a Child's Eyes'

Review by: Ray Van Horn Jr. @ www.pivotalrage.com/webzine

Three movies come to mind when approaching November's Doom: Night of the Scarecrow, Jeepers Creepers 2 and the original Children of the Corn. An album full of autumnal somberness but otherwise focused drive, Novembers Doom creates a forlorn Goth presentation for its decidedly prog-minded metal.
Most of the guitars by Vito Marchese and Larry Roberts distribute crunchy Godsmack strums, only heavier. Whereas the latter is imbibed to a more palatable state of groove-minded commercialism, Novembers Doom keeps their rate of knots primarily slow and they take far more risks. For instance, the acoustic melody that slowly guides "Autumn Reflection" and the penetrating clean vocals of the mostly grumbly Paul Kuhr produce a Jesus and Mary Chain or Sister-of-Mercy-like alt-metal nuance to the song's solemn tone. This is probably the song November's Doom wants to be known for, truth be told. It's highly effectual as is the ensuing song "Dark World Burden," which finally steps up the pace to a medium stride, delivering a rock steady presence and highly memorable chorus with a slick guitar solo by guest musician (and album mixer) Dan Swano as the song closes.
Melancholy clean vocals accompany Kuhr's death growls on "Swallowed by the Moon," a song filled with a despaired channel and glum but well-executed guitars on the chorus. Likewise, the synths on "Moon" are subtle-not grandiose-accents that are more effective as a result.
The prog influence of Novembers Doom resounds on "In the Absence of Grace," with its heavy psychedelic resonance ala "Astronomy Domine" (take your pick of Pink Floyd or Voivod's versions) or the lumbering headway of "The Dead Leaf Echo" with its delicate chorus that is maybe a bit destabilized by Kuhr's snarls. Perhaps some clean vocals would've made the chorus more penetrable, much as the same syndrome applies to "Collapse of the Fallen Throe." Then again, the decidedly Floyd-ish "Through a Child's Eyes" is highly pleasurable with clean vocals that swim along the trippy melody and snazzy acoustics, producing yet another memorable chorus as a result. By now, it should be apparent that November's Doom is unequivocally good at writing the catchy chorus.
The brackish and murky Novembers Doom is a good remedy to the same ol' same ol' metal you may be currently stockpiling in your collection, kind of like Jurassic 5 is to the overly redundant rap scene. Both are daring, inventive, not for all tastes, but most assuredly worth listening to. Taking it one step further, the fringe-minded Novembers Doom is possibly to the current metal scene as Trouble and Fates Warning were to the original. 4/5

Review by: Aaron McKay @ www.chroniclesofchaos.com
Rating: (10 out of 10)

Like some backwards college professor needing to feel superior to a class of students in some pathetic way, I have lots of difficulty acknowledging there exists no room for improvement on an album. But hold the phone. When confronted with the newest offering from Novembers Doom, that notion melted away like so much Iowa snow under a mid day August sun. _The Pale Haunt Departure_ would more-than-likely suffer if anything more or less was done to it.

Being only February and having the marvelous Dark Tranquillity effort, _Character_, already in regular rotation in my JVC player, 2005 is shaping up to be an incredible year for metal. I have what could amount to the number one and number two of my top 10 for this year already in hand. Nearly inconceivable, but true and I am glad for it.

After an unbelievable back catalog, Illinois's own Novembers Doom have pushed themselves to the point where everything has come together perfectly; _TPHD_ ties together a compelling culmination of style, elements and atmosphere. With all deference to My Dying Bride, Opeth or Katatonia, I would put _The Pale Haunt Departure_ up against any of their efforts for content and ability to redefine the texture of mood. The topics put forth on this album are anything but comfortable or easy, with incredibly intelligent lyrics that disquiet the soul. Complex and rich, the experience is both verbally and emotionally disconcerting down to the very fiber of one's being.

Over fifty minutes in length, _TPHD_ works the listener over with sweeping transformations ranging from lengthy passages of instrumentation to crushing sections. After eight tracks, you are pleasantly exhausted and craving more. With mixing duties compliments of Dan Swano and production by James "Disincarnate" Murphy, _The Pale Haunt Departure_ has become as a Midwestern sentinel guarding the notion that metal knows no boundaries!

Reviewed by: Jay Keeley @ www.royalcarnage.com

9/10

For a while now, it’s been difficult to pinpoint exactly what kind of metal NOVEMBERS DOOM play. There’s little dispute that their debut was indeed ‘straightforward’ doom – almost borderline funeral doom if anything – but every release since then has shown a strong level of maturity and evolution towards…let’s call it Dark Metal. No, better yet: Autumnal Metal. Certain attributes make up this NOVEMBERS DOOM autumnal sound, and no, I don’t refer to the calendar month used in the band’s title. What you get here are two distinct trademarks: (a) Paul Kuhr’s vocals delivered across spoken narrative, clean harmonies, and coherent death growls, and (b) melancholic chord progressions that work alongside either their mid-paced or slowed down wretched death metal. Throw that all together, including an obvious nod towards folk rock bands of the 70’s, and you end up with a rather progressive soundtrack to autumn’s inherent despair.

The Pale Haunt Departure marks their fifth full release since ’95 (while they’ve been on the circuit since ’89), and it presents a style similar to that found on the previous effort, To Welcome the Fade. Some progression is evident, but it’s not quite as radical as, say, the change in playing style that came to be after The Knowing – quite easily their best album to date. With that said, the song structures are rather consistent throughout all their releases so there’s little doubt that you’re listening to a NOVEMBERS DOOM album -- it’s the way they play the songs that tends to make each album differ.

I’ll discuss the first three tracks since they’ll give a good overview of the album in general, and then I’ll offer the critique.

NOVEMBERS DOOM: Mid-paced melancholic death metal.

First rule: turn up the volume. Loud. The album starts off with the title track, “The Pale Haunt Departure”. This is traditional NOVEMBERS DOOM, right at home when playing in that galloping death metal momentum, but one particular standout moment is the final verse literally spat out in venomous wrath. Double layered vocal tracks between death growls and screams, only to end in a whispered “Your trust in….FAITH!”. The last word screamed with so much emphasis, I couldn’t tell whether it’s in angst or plain disgust. Either way, it’ll make your balls shrink.

NOVEMBERS DOOM: Poetry in motion, dismal theme.

“Swallowed by the Moon” is really a platform for the heartrending lyrics. As mentioned earlier, Kuhr’s death growls are articulate, so whether he’s narrating, singing, or growling, you always understand each lyric. And that’s the strength of this song: a father dying, and wondering how his young daughter will ever remember him, his guilt in passing away is swamped in apologies and hope for his child to make her mother proud. “Memories is all that you have, and I’m sorry I failed you in life”. My word….

NOVEMBERS DOOM: Very close but no cigar.

Now on to “Autumn Reflection”, and here is where I’ll lead into the crux of the review. First of all, there is no doubting the ANATHEMA vibe circa Alternative 4. The melody and even the vocals do sound influenced by Vincent Cavanagh, and that’s where I become slightly uncomfortable. For what it is, it sounds great but this is an example of how a great song just misses out from becoming a masterpiece. Let me explain: first of all, the first 4:32 minutes of this track begin to sound repetitive. The rescue arrives in the shape of a magnificent riff and melody at the 4:33 mark. THIS IS MASTERFUL. Whoever wrote this piece should be commended. I only wish they could have introduced this piece sooner in the song, in between the verses to add something more ‘homegrown’, and then reprise it in full blown effect at the ending of the song. At the 5:25 mark, a piano is added which accentuates the whole effect so perfectly and you can feel the song’s momentum just gathering infinitum, a musical passage that should just never end….we’ve all heard something so instense that we just want it to loop on and on forever……and then what happens? It stops at 5:55. For fucks sake, that’s 30 seconds of near-perfection just hammered with an immediate fade out to the song ending. (Please guys, if you’re going to play it live, just add three more minutes of this piece and let the audience absorb its ending for all it’s glory).

And that’s the story of the album right there: very close but no cigar. Don’t get me wrong, this is fantastic stuff, and probably sealed into my top 10 list for 2005, but it’s not the NOVEMBERS DOOM masterpiece that it could or should have been. That title is still ruled by The Knowing. I wonder if the band recognizes this, and makes the distinction?

I’m no expert but I can’t help but feel that NOVEMBERS DOOM became slightly inhibited after The Knowing. There seems to be an air of hesitancy in their delivery. Kuhr sometimes doesn’t explore his entire clean vocal range, and at times the spoken narrative seems like the ‘easy way out’, a foray into an explosion of growls. The guitar parts are practically now written for one guitar, and yet there are two guitarists in the band. What changed? Marriage? Kids? No more booze? No more drugs? The absence of a certain Eric Burnley’s songwriting dare I ask? Perhaps the stars were aligned for The Knowing and lady luck threw caution to the wind. Nevertheless, when the band just ‘lets go’, they sound much more genuine, and less like their peers. (Is it really necessary to keep the 4:43 – 5:10 section in “In the Absence of Grace”? If the first thing the listener thinks is ‘leftover riff from OPETH’s Damnation’ then it might be a good idea to drop it altogether and avoid the unnecessary comparison).

On the other hand, you can listen to “Through a Child’s Eyes” and hear a definite (and perhaps subconscious) ode to SIMON & GARFUNKEL’s “America” or “The Dangling Conversation”. This could quite easily be Paul Kuhr’s best clean vocal performance to date. The harmonies are spot on. (By the way, the inlay artwork for this song is just profound – a scarecrow, arms stretched out, face to face with the crucifixion of Christ upon a tombstone, the two figures divided by an empty path leading to the horizon through desolate fields). In any case, the point I’m trying to make is, an influence in sound is vastly different to something that may unfairly appear copied. NOVEMBERS DOOM have way too much talent to be standing alongside their peers at this junction, they should be leading the charge.

Thankfully, the album ends in a perfect NOVEMBERS DOOM moment. “Collapse of the Fallen Throe” is as doom-like as you’re going to get, and the riff melody is reminiscent of their past genius. The grandeur in the first half of the song moves into an acoustic piece leading to the final verse of the album, itself ending in screamed echo, “Blood for blood, you will be mine, through the pain I will rise, driven by this longing desire to be the one who loves you….FOREVER!!!”. The echoing fadeout is just phenomenal. To coin a phrase: Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results.

Mixed by Dan Swano, mastered by James Murphy, and stunning artwork by Atilla Kis, this is a great release for both the band and the label. Expect to see this in many a top 10 list. It may not be their best album (most likely their second best), but it’s still better than 90% of anything else out there in the underground. We’re talking about one of the greatest bands in the US today, so expectations are inevitably going to be high – at least from me. Be that as it may, The Pale Haunt Departure keeps the band in the premier league, and there’s only some slight adjustments needed before they deliver an album for the ages. Stay tuned.

Review by: Mike Dolce @ www.digitalmetal.com

I have been a fan of Novembers Doom since I first picked up their sophomore release, Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers years ago. I was amazed by this band then, and I am awestruck by this band now. Although that album is still probably my favorite Novembers Doom release for personal and nostalgic reasons, A Pale Haunt Departure is climbing the ranks.

This is the first album on their new label, The End Records. I must say that The End made a great choice in picking up this band as they fit perfectly in their ever growing roster of avant-garde artists. Dark Symphonies did a respectable job releasing two albums and a re-release of their debut, but I think now it is time for Novembers Doom to get the recognition they rightfully deserve. Line-up changes once again come into effect, as long time guitarist Eric Burnley exits the band and is replaced by newcomer, Vito Machese. Bass duties are done by Mike Legros of Disinter, whom has since left the band. Nonetheless, the chemistry of Novembers Doom is still very apparent, and arguably better than ever.

For those who may not have heard this band, Novembers Doom offers a variation of 'Dark Metal', if you will. Not your typical Doom band (anymore), and certainly are not a pure death metal band, although certain elements exist of both. The mix a mostly mid-paced tempo that is accentuated with a variety of clean and death vocals. Some people will compare them to Opeth, but I don’t really like to compare, rather to let a great band like this stand on its own. (Besides, Novembers Doom has actually has been around longer.)

Vocally, this is without a doubt Paul Kuhr’s finest performance. The death metal vocals still have those same deep guttural growls, of which you can actually understand without reading the booklet. His “clean” singing vocals, however, are phenomenal; something that past releases were somewhere between spoken and sung vocals. Vocal harmonies are more apparent and perfectly placed. Lyrically, much hasn’t changed; they are still about loss, grief, helplessness, failure, etc. and seem more personal, taking an obvious first person view stance. Keyboards are minimal on this album and unlike past Novembers Doom releases. This marks the first without any female vocal appearances, which in the early days, perhaps were more of a nimiety.

The production is better than ever. Everything is rich, clear, organic and heavy; very heavy. Dan Swanö takes his turn at the mixing desk on this record and certainly pulls through, even adding a solo of his own at the end of “Dark World Burden”, which fits in superlatively. Another legendary musician, James Murphy took the job of mastering the album, which just reinstates the output of quality. In the age of digital and electronic recordings, many albums have to forgo that feeling. Do yourself a favor and find a good system, turn it up, sit back and let the album take its course; you won’t be disappointed. Simply put, the more I listen to this album, the more I enjoy it. Filler tracks and mundane interludes are omitted which enhances the overall flow and constancy.

This year, already has become very productive for metal, with a slew of remarkable releases. This one will be up there for album of the year in my books.

Status
Not open for further replies.