What do you think of Pale Haunt Departure?

Eddie Misery

www.apothys.com
Mar 28, 2006
Woodbridge, VA
www.myspace.com
Just curious. I like the cd alot and it has a great sound, it's heavy, it's dark--it's November's Doom. But honestly I liked To Welcome the Fade more. I like the sound of the new one, but there are some songs on To Welcome the Fade that just stuck in my mind more than ones on Pale Haunt. Although I really enjoy the theme of Pale Haunt more, now that I think about it. There was one song that I didn't like really on Pale Haunt and that was Through a Child's Eyes. It's a good song, but for some reason I just have to skip over it every time it comes on. I think it's mainly the vocals..the way they harmonize is just not very appealing to me on that song. The Dead Leaf Echo is fantastic though--freakin love that song most on the cd. :kickass:

I like the album, but as far as I'm concerned, TWTF is leagues ahead. TPHD has that bone crushing, brutal appeal that TWTF doesn't, but much of the sorrowful, melancholic aura of TWTF has been sacriced.

yea i'd definitely have to agree with you there. i loved the tragic feel of to welcome the fade. that one song Torn is freakin great...the whole cd is really. which to me is another thing it has over TPHD b/c there isn't a single song i didn't enjoy on it.

Eddie Misery said:
yea i'd definitely have to agree with you there. i loved the tragic feel of to welcome the fade. that one song Torn is freakin great...the whole cd is really. which to me is another thing it has over TPHD b/c there isn't a single song i didn't enjoy on it.

Same here. TPHD definitely has a bunch of songs I don't really care about (Pale Haunt Departure, Dead Leaf Echoes, Dark World Burden). On the other hand, Autumn Reflection, Through a Child's Eyes and Collapse of the Fallen Throe are fucking killers. Let's not forget the presentation, one of the best I've ever seen.

Well, despite intending to pick up other ND cds I still only have The Pale Haunt Departure so I can't compare that album to any of the bands other work... therefore for me, TPHD very much stands or falls on it's own merits rather than judging it by previous release.

I say 'stands or falls' but the truth is that for me the album has no weak points at all and is easily one of the best albums I've bought in recent years. Everything about it simply screams quality... from the artwork, the production, the perfomance, right down to the songs themselves.

Nice to see that a new album will be with us in 2007 and I'll try and pick up some of the back catalog and hopefully I'll see the band in the UK at some point in time.

I love To Welcome the Fade, but I would have to say that I prefer The Pale Haunt Departure. In my honest opinion, I feel the songs on each album progressively have improved with each album (And that's not to say by any means that the early material isn't top notch)

The Pale Haunt Departure, IMO is a fantastic album. I had listened to ND a few times before it was released, and it didn't do a lot for me, but after I heard TPHD, I was hooked. I've heard people complain that this album is "too easy to get into therefore it sucks" and other horrible arguments like that, but I think it works to my advantage. Due to its relative accessability, it allows your mind to open up to earlier stuff.
Good work guys, look forward to hearing more stuff from you.

That whole notion of something "sucks" because it's too easy to get into is ridiculous. It's not as if we turned into AC/DC or something (whom I like), playing three minute songs with four chords. As we've said before, there are some fans who enjoy the old stuff but can't always continue along the path that we chose to go, and that's fine, we're glad that they at least enjoyed us at all. Trying to please everyone is a fool's pursuit, because it's impossible. We believe that TPHD is the best thing we've ever done. But we understand that not everyone will agree with us on that. I just think it's a shame when some people close their minds to the music for such stupid reasons as some tend to do. Just because a song has hooks and isn't long and drawn out doesn't make it any less artistic. But as I always say, to each their own. We'll keep making the music that WE enjoy writing and playing, and hopefully some other people will like it too. That's pretty much it.

If I rated every song on every CD we did, and let people know what I think of a lot of those songs... Let's just say it wouldn't be the best promotion for the band. haha! Pale Haunt is the ONLY ND CD we've recorded, that I can listen to from start to end, and enjoy every song.

Many people adore Amid Its Hallowed Mirth... I think I like parts of few songs, but overall, my least favorite CD. My second least favorite is The Knowing. Not because I have a huge dislike for it, I just like the other CD's better. Last God is the ultimate DOOM song. Larry and Joe played that at our last rehearsal, and I still love it. Sculptured Ivy is a great ND CD for me. There's only a couple songs I skip past. Sculptured Ivy was Eric at his best, IMO. To Welcome the Fade has one of my all time favorite songs we've written, Dark Fields for Brilliance. TWTF was a eye opener. After that CD, we knew what we wanted to do musically, and what we didn't want to do.

And the new material... Just wait. ;)

Spot on, guys. I'm with you all the way about those who don't like things that are easy to get into. Bunch of close minded losers, in my opinion.
Keep doing your own thing, and I'll keep enjoying it.
Cheers.

The Knowing was my first ND CD I ever got.
I think in a previous thread, I wrote that TPHD was the first one.
That was the 1st one I purchased. I rec'd the Knowing in a trade actually.

Anyhow, as a newer fan to the band, I can see where some older fans might claim the PHD to be more "accessible" I don't see necessarily why that is considered to be a negative.

A good album is a good album. Just because the songs might be structured differently or have better production does not make it sub par.

Sounds like a ridiculous black metal argument to me.

Bands progress, hopefully for the better.
The production and song writing is killer on the PHD (when comparing them to prior ND releases).

It seems like sometimes long-time fans of bands want to be the first to say an album "sucks" or is "not like the old material", almost to prove kvlt status in the scene.

Attitudes like that has driven me away from message boards like Metal Rules and Braveboard.

Can't stop listening to PHD, really I don't want to stop. Brilliant album!! Paul's vocals are superb and clear (either clean or growled) "Dark World Burden" and "Absence of Grace" could be a "soundtrack" to my life. Has become one of my "best" records. Thanx, Novembers Doom.