Apple iTunes - Pale Haunt now available

Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
So, I was using iTunes today, going through the music store, and to my complete surprise, iTunes is selling The Pale Haunt Departure for a download price of $7.92. Apparently available back on August 16th. They even have a review of the CD for you to read...

Album Review
Novembers Doom's lyrical landscapes are really, really scary: filled with haunted characters, tormented spirits, and worst of all, scarecrows! Oh, and their musical backdrops are of course quiet apropos to such chilling storytelling, as well - although career maturity has seen the doleful Chicago natives using ever less cheap shock tactics and gimmicky gothic atmospherics (like, say, guest female vocalists) to cover up any songwriting deficiencies. The results can be heard in 2005's slowly seductive The Pale Haunt Departure, which delves in altogether more subtle dynamic contrasts for its borderline progressive death metal (think Opeth, but not quite as epic), with harmonic power chords, gentle acoustic breakdowns, and the occasional clean vocal lines plotting to achieve a more fluid emotional cadence. The album also shows vocalist Paul Kuhr's oft-impenetrable poetry exchanging fantasy for real-life subjects, more often than not. New odes to negativity like "The Dead Leaf Echo" (where the narrator wallows in his failures) and "Swallowed by the Moon" (describing a dying father's fears for the child he leaves behind, too young to remember him), clearly afford deeper layers to scrutiny in the lyrics. And in the wholly atypical glimmer of hope "Autumn Reflection," November's Doom counter the grain of a career-long melancholy by joyfully describing the joys of fatherhood! Still, manic-depressives should not panic, as additional numbers like the driving "Dark World Burden" and the deathly maelstrom of a title track plead their musical cases with reliably downcast forcefulness... oh yeah, and those scarecrows, of course. And finally, in the closing "Collapse of the Fallen Throe," the band revisits their doom/death roots with a positively majestic riff to go with a nightmarish set of words - all very metal. In sum, The Pale Haunt Departure breaks much needed new ground for November's Doom, who were in danger of sounding too derivative of other artists, of late.

What's everyone thoughts on this?

Very good review! Glad to see the album getting some well deserved recognition.

I saw on EBAY someone was selling downloads of random ND tracks
(If I recall, they were all PHD tracks)

I didn't realise our cd was going to be sold this way. Makes sense I guess though I have a feeling most people are going to just steal the damn thing online somewhere if they're going to go through the trouble of getting it this way. I know people are getting more and more into getting their music like this but wow I really wish people would just get the whole packaging, the artwork is crucial to the whole thing. Whatever.

As for the review, it's your typical Novembers Doom review--full of backhanded sarcastic compliments, poking a bit of fun at our genre of music, plus the obligatory mention of Opeth somewhere along the line as well. Again, whatever, it's old hat at this point! At least the overall tone was positive.

As a collector nerd, I am anti-download.
Sure, I have downloaded a handful of tracks from various record label sites, but when I get into a band, I seek out their catalog (Either from stores or via trades).

It is hard for me to fathom the whole downloading concept.

Just the other day, this friend of mine goes, "I just downloaded the new Bruce Dickinson album. It only cost me $9!" I just don't get it. I would much rather spend a couple more bucks and have the packaging. That is part of the whole experience of getting a new album (the liner notes, thank you lists, photos, lyrics, etc.)

The only way I kinda like this is if they were to put the files in with the download so you can print the cover and back and whatnot.... and even then, for me at least, that would only serve to see if I was going to buy the REAL deal. It wouldn't necessairly negate me from buying, just help me to choose better. And I would want to make sure that you guys were in some way getting a percentage of that.

So, i've thought about this a bit, and did a little searching around. As far as the CD bieng offered as a download on iTunes, it's actually pretty impressive, because that service only takes very specific labels, and bands, and this must be because of the new Sony distribution deal The End has. After looking at more MP3 sites, i'm finding our material is being sold on several sites digitally, which raises some concern, not because of downloading, but do to royalties. I had no idea this was being sold like this anywhere, and because of that, i'm wondering who profits from this? We had planned on offering all our CD's on our website for a low cost, to download the music, eventually. We would start with the out of print CD's and when sales for the later material would die off, we would offer them. This is something we've discussed doing in the future, so the fact I'm finding almost all of our material available on other sites, concerns me. Looks like I have some more hinting to do. If anyone comes across our music being offered on any of the pay-to-download sites, please post the links in here. Even if this can't be stopped, we deserve the royalty payment for it.

I think there's a slew of Russian sites that offer mp3s like, as much as you can download, for $1 a month, the artists don't get a penny of that dollar, and it's legal because it isn't forbidden where the servers are.

I'd think iTunes gives some royalties to the bands, but I really doubt it from the less-known/shadier mp3 services..

And yeah, I don't get why anyone would want to pay for downloading music, at least for me the best thing is going to the store, seeing what they have, picking up something I didn't expect to find there, taking it home and enjoing, in addition to the music, the cool booklets, lyrics and art.

I really hope the powers that be don't decide that music should be only available digitally - even though I listen to all my CDs on my mp3 player, physically owning the albums is a very important thing for me, too.