Palmer PDI 09

musickey

djenital moosic
Feb 17, 2006
INDIANA
Just played a show with ORIGIN the other night :worship: needless to say those guys are amazing! I got a chance to talk to Paul Ryan, His live rig was a Mesa Pre and power amp with a few other pieces of gear in his rack, but what interested me was Paul pointed out he was using a Palmer PDI09 to run to the board. His tone was pretty sick, just wanted to know if anyone here was running one, and if so do you dig it? and how would you route it using say a triple recto?

mercenary-audio_2056_52240478

http://www.palmer-germany.com/82-1-pdi09.html

i think palmers are great but they need to be eq'ed right i have the PGA-04 with a laney gh50, live it sounds great, im sure with a recto it would sound alot better. as far as connecting with a recto im not sure how the junction di connects but the sound is similar to the pga04 and pdi03...

this palmer PDI 09 is without dummy load, speaker or external resistor must be connected !

Ah ok, then yup, Slave out into it indeed! (if it was a load box, it'd of course be between the amp and cab, if there was one)

slave out is possible,

you can also put it between your amp and cab, like a H&K redbox. The signal will pass through it. Don't go amp -> PDI 09 without using the "through" because that will fry your amp. Unlike the PDI03 the PDI09 is not a load box.

Yeah the Palmer is just a speaker sim, you run a preamp signal into it and run it to the PA so you don't have to worry about micing the cab. It's like using an impulse.

Well this particular Palmer anyway, but as noarin mentioned the PDI-03 is a load box too!

Slave out is what i was thinking as well, and for $175 i think im going to pick one up and blend a 57 with it live.

NIN's current touring rig has a bunch of Palmers (both guitars and bass) and their tone has been pristine from show to show.

NIN's current touring rig has a bunch of Palmers (both guitars and bass) and their tone has been pristine from show to show.

Definitely reassuring! Big fan of NIN.

I also have pics of Paul's rig, and John's Drumkit i could post up if anyone wants to take a look.

I've always found the Palmer stuff interesting. But I haven't heard anything solid with one yet... If Origin is using them live then I'll give it the benefit of the doubt on heavy stuff :lol: I know Satriani has used Palmer units on albums for several years until the JSX came along, but I've always thought his tone was shite so it didn't help the case.

I have the Palmer PDI-03. I think it's ok for rehearsal or maybe live purposes, but pretty sucks for recording higain rythm guitars (probably my recording skills sucks). So I go with impulses for recording. I'll post a comparison clip between Palmer and Impulses later to listen to your opinions