PANICKING, HALP. digi002 freak out, super weird problem

darthjujuu

Nov 17, 2008
Boston
www.myspace.com
so i'm just sitting here mixing. all is well. i leave my house for a few hours. i come back and continue mixing and it now suddenly sounds like my master bus has 6 gclips all cranked and there's a tubescreamer before my monitors. i figure mowell, fluke of reaper, i'll just restart the session, no biggie. but it didn't go away. i restarted the system, still super distorted. i tried different sessions, tried protools, all the same thing. the signal coming through the digi (both the monitor outs and headphone outs) is insanely distorted with digital sounding clipping except at very low levels.

everything appears to be 44.1 across the board. both settings and hardware.

things to know:

i have a presonus digimax synced via ADAT. i tried setting the clock sync to internal in the digi control dialogue, didn't help anything.

i have my onboard sound card going into the "alt src" in on the 002 so i can play windows shit through my monitors and THAT sounds fine...including in the head phones. insanely weird. could the digimax be fuckin with me?? reaper and protools are both doing the same thing, this is super bad, i'm way behind on mixing AND editing projects!! any ideas?!

EDIT: If i render something, even though it sounds like fizz in reaper/protools, and then play it back through winamp/internal sound card, it sounds PERFECT. that's going into the "alt src" on the digi and then out to my monitors. so weird.

Jesus never heard of that...doubt any of this will work but try anyways....

Try switching firewire ports (both on the 002 and your comp). Try switching cables to.

Try trashing digi prefs as well.

Physically unplug the 002 completely, give it some time and try again....

don't really know what else to suggest sorry duder.

I just got into bed, so I'm sketchy on menus, but try going to the hardware menu option (the one that gives you the option to change your samples from between 64 and 1024), change it up to the next selected option and try that, then if it works normally, switch it back.

CASE CLOSED.

check out how fucking weird this is... the main outs of my digi (not the monitor outs...the main outs) are going through the floor of my room down in to the basement live room, and are then connected to a headphone amp for monitoring in the live room (for drummers, mainly). i had changed some shit around down there and accidentaly plugged those cables into the OUTS of the headphone amp... and EVEN THOUGH THE HEADPHONE AMP WAS OFF, this is what was causing the problem. so weird.