Panning and mixing in Anthems of Rebellion

Apr 9, 2004
hi andy , would like to ask how u pan and mix the strings keyboards /orchestral stuff in the middle of the song : dead eyes see no future

and to anyone who could help me :could anyone perhaps give me and insight how to record/process vocals ? like how much compression and reverb u would use and how to make it sound up front in the mix

thanks

as of late this is what I have been doing with main/lead vocals-

limiter- usually I'll limit the track fairly heavily, not to the point where you can here it being limited but to the point when there are no obvious volume peaks.

compression- after limiting the track I will usually compress it just to even out the sound even more and to add a bit of punch. I usually use between a 3:1 type ratio or if it's quite eratic volume wise then maybe 5:1.
I'll usually have quite a slow attack and quick release time and then just go from there.

reverb- depending on the song I'll either use reverb or delay to sit the vocals in the mix. If I'm using delay I'll have the mix of the delay quite low maybe around the 10% mark and if I'm using reverb then I'll usually use a medium room sound with about about 10-20% mix.

it all depends on the song and style but this will hopefully give you a good starting point.

cheers

james

as of late this is what I have been doing with main/lead vocals-

limiter- usually I'll limit the track fairly heavily, not to the point where you can here it being limited but to the point when there are no obvious volume peaks.

compression- after limiting the track I will usually compress it just to even out the sound even more and to add a bit of punch. I usually use between a 3:1 type ratio or if it's quite eratic volume wise then maybe 5:1.
I'll usually have quite a slow attack and quick release time and then just go from there.

reverb- depending on the song I'll either use reverb or delay to sit the vocals in the mix. If I'm using delay I'll have the mix of the delay quite low maybe around the 10% mark and if I'm using reverb then I'll usually use a medium room sound with about about 10-20% mix.

it all depends on the song and style but this will hopefully give you a good starting point.

cheers

james