Paradise Lost ?

Nomad

Deaf as a Post!!
Apr 18, 2001
Hinckley, UK
www.icedearth.co.uk
I'm interested to know just how many of you that visit these boards like Paradise Lost.

The only reason I ask this question is because quite a few metal fans that I have talked to lately don't even know who Paradise Lost are!!!! :eek:

Personally I think they are one of the UK's great metal bands and have been following them since their 'SHADES OF GOD' album. :D

I think the new album 'Believe In Nothing' is a really great album even if Kerrapp! did only give it 1K.

I'm a huge PL fan. My first album was Shades of God and I now have everything (including the new one) except for their very first album, lost paradise. They are a really good band and they keep evolving and changing it up. Gothic and Shades of God are both great doomdeath albums, and Icon is probably the best (I think) of the midperiod stuff where they introduced the clean singing into full effect. Though he sounds like James Hetfield sometimes. Draconian times is super catchy. I dunno, my favorite from them is probably one second. Though host was good, and believe in nothing is growing on me. Anyway, I"m a metal head and I've heard of them and I think they are an amazing band.

patrick

If you are looking for good doom/death then I would start with old anathema (serenades, crestfallen) old my dying bride (as the flower withers, turn loose the swans, and the newest the light at the end of the world) and older Paradise Lost, Gothic, shades of god. Katatonia is a kick ass band ass well, their first LP, Dance of December souls, is similar to PL's gothic. Brave murder day is also a good record. all their shit is really good.

I like everything the above bands have done, but none of them are doom/death anymore except my dying bride. I would consider it all doom though....

If you are into the more gothic type shit, there is a lot of that around too. I dont like most of it. Em symfoinia is really good. I haven't heard their full length yet, but i have their first MCD, its great stuff. November's doom is good too. Tristania and sins of thy beloved are pretty popoular right now, though i don't care for them much.

If you are looking for straight up doom metal check out cathedral's forest of equilibrium and also their newest one, endtyme. fuckin heavy as all hell.. there are a lot of other bands in this genre too but they get called stoner rock/metal. kyuss is an example.

Paradise Lost?

Paradise lost it completely more like.

They used to be great but the last couple of albums are sooo bad, if they got any more middle of the road they'd have a big white stripe painted down them. Yawn.

Still thats just my opinion :)

MindMorgue.

I was shocked upon hearing any of Paradise Lost's material after "Icon." I still consider "Icon" somewhat of a doom album, but nothing after that. "One Second" makes me think that Paradise Lost is trying to sound somewhat like U2. I haven't even bothered to listen to "Host" or "Believe In Nothing." A band that has change a lot and I still like, however, is Katatonia. I haven't heard Cathedral's latest album, but I've heard that it's much heavier than what they had been putting out as of late. I prefer my doom to be extremely heavy, unrelenting, and rather death/black influenced.

Take my advice, don't even bother with Host and believe in nothing.

Katatonia rule, they are now what paradise lost should have sounded like if they wern't just trying to become more trendy to sell more records.

MindMorgue.

PL rulezzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Icon" was the first doom album I've heard and since then I
am into doom metal !!! I'm a DoomMetal junkie.
I love all albs, especially "Icon" and I think that "Believe in
Nothing" is a good thing(just listen to "Gone" or "sell it to a
world"!), but "Icon" is a MASTERPIECE!
By the way, I hope it will shock noone, I am Christian beleiver
the 'cause ParadiseLost are!!!
greetings, Anthony Arcturus :D

Icon is a great album, but a doom/death masterpiece? I dont' know about that. I think they had moved pretty far from that genre by the time they got to Icon. its doomy, but not really doom or doom/death. doom is more Cathedral (forest of equilibrium) while doom/death would be PL Gothic or MDB turn loose the swans or anathema serenades.

you're a christian believer? have you heard paramecium. i'm not xtn but paramecium are a good doom/death band. super heavy shit.

"Icon" is *not* a doom album - doom metal is performed by bands like Cathedral (the debut album), My Dying Bride (the two first albums), Dolorian and of course the greatest doom band of all time - CANDLEMASS. I recommend their "Nightfall", "Ancient Times" and "Tales of Creation" albums for true, pure DOOM.

I used to love Paradise Lost, but like many of you lost interest when they softened. I gave up on them after "Draconian Times", however.

Paradise Lost were good. Then they decided to go ahead and do their little metal à la mode thing and made good music bad.
Especially their most recent album. It's a joke.

I went to see them at the end of last month and I've now decided that Paradise Lost should be listened to (only old albums) on CD, as well. They have nearly no stage prescence and the older songs were completely trashed. Not only did they play very few old songs... very few of them were sung like they are supposed to be. Either the singer's voice was trained to only take those soft tones or PL have a great deal of digital remastering behind the dark vocals. Sad, sad, sad...
...the hip-hop clad teenage boys up by the stage loved it though. Needless to say, very few others did.

Sad to see a good band go like that...

How easy you can bring PL down ! Their music is not bad it's only differs from what they've done earlier, from what you like. But if you do not like music it doesn't mean it's bad. If I don't like Bruce Dickinson, Grave Digger and all like that I don't say they are shit(only think:)). Imagine, you walk one way, reach great results doing something new and then decide to go different direction. At that moment you have many fans, many of them are doing the same music and they begin to scream :"You're shit and your music is shit !!!". How you think you would feel then?
I like "Beleive In Nothing", i think it is not bad , worse than "Icon", ofcourse, but it sounds light and pretty (after a couple of SUFFOCATION albums, I'm their fan too!) makes a good mood before sleep.

"They want me to be a part of the world they created
I say fuck you don't tell me how to live"
SUFFOCATION

support death metal!

I don't think Paradise Lost have ever really had a stage presence, rather trying to concentrate on the music rather than any stage shows.

Musically they're competant, but not spectacular. IMHO even stuff from Icon & Draconian Times sounds pretty much like slowed down Metallica. The music is atmospheric, and makes quite good ambience music, being in the background without demanding your attention. I don't think I could see them too regularly without getting bored.

As for progression within music, if you stay the same, you'll get critiscised, if you change, you'll get critiscised. They're in a no-win situation...

You're absolutely right! If you stay the same, you'll get critiscised, if you change, you'll get criticised, I just wanted to say that there's agreat difference between THEY ARE SHIT and I THINK THEY ARE SHIT.

And, tenebrose, I was on your site- looks pretty good !

I'm generally a wierdo, so here goes:

I find their older doomdeath stuff rather dull (although I can see how it was influential at the time) and actually don't mind a couple of the "pop metal" tracks off of "One Second". I was never a PL fan of any kind so I don't have any preconcieved notions of what they were or should be.

As for the new one, I wasn't actually aware it existed...