Paradise Lost

clayman666

Master Apprentice
Jun 3, 2002
Indiana, U.S.
Visit site
I just got Paradise Lost-Draconian Times and on my first listen i thought that the singer sounds somewhat like James Hetfield of Metallica.

This is strictly the first time listen so aftera few more listens i might not think that at all, but does anyone see how i could think that?

Anyways it was a pretty good cd from what ive heard so far.

I also bought........

Porcupine Tree- In Absentia..............first time ive heard them and i think im gonna become a pretty good fan....it gives me somethin mellow to listen to

Diabolical Masquerade- Death Design............this cd is incredible. i can't believe i havent picked this cd up already. the variety with the heavy riffs, orchestra, death vocals, and a few clear vocals is unbelievable......i'd also like to find out how the 61 track idea came about

Shadows Fall- The Art of Balance..........havent listened to this much yet, but i already like it better than thier previous stuff ive heard. lots of potential here

Hmm...what's so wrong to sound like James Hetfield? Paradise Lost did amazing albums and still do... ICON is the best though... this album has everything I ever wanted from a metal band...

Originally posted by clayman666
I just got Paradise Lost-Draconian Times and on my first listen i thought that the singer sounds somewhat like James Hetfield of Metallica.

This is strictly the first time listen so aftera few more listens i might not think that at all, but does anyone see how i could think that?

Anyways it was a pretty good cd from what ive heard so far.

I also bought........

Porcupine Tree- In Absentia..............first time ive heard them and i think im gonna become a pretty good fan....it gives me somethin mellow to listen to

Diabolical Masquerade- Death Design............this cd is incredible. i can't believe i havent picked this cd up already. the variety with the heavy riffs, orchestra, death vocals, and a few clear vocals is unbelievable......i'd also like to find out how the 61 track idea came about

Shadows Fall- The Art of Balance..........havent listened to this much yet, but i already like it better than thier previous stuff ive heard. lots of potential here

That's a pretty good haul there. Pick up the new Paradise Lost, 'Symbol of Life', it is great. Check out 'Nightwork' from Diabolical also. Not quite as good, but still a great album.

True, Nick does sound somewhat like Hetfield, although I don't think that's very obvious on Draconian Times. On Symbol of Life the similarity is more striking, but they are still two very different singers, and above all, they're in two veeery different bands. Love 'em both, though. Paradise Lost rules, get more stuff by them!
Oh and I can only agree with you on Death's Design... very cool album, the 61 track idea is interesting indeed...

Dudes, Nick Holmes is twice the vocalist Hetfield is.

Draconian Times is an amazing album. All the the more so because of the band's latest direction.

There were two thread specific to Paradise Lost and this one had more views, so I decided to dredge this one up.

Paradise Lost as many of you already know are supporting Opeth on their UK tour later this year. I've heard of this band but know between very little and nothing about them, I did even realise they were from the UK.

Normaly as I'm not a Doom fan I wouldn't have botheed to bring this thread up, but I like to know what I'm going to see, I'm currently listening to Angel Tears and really enjoying actually, it reminds me a little of Hawkwind's darker stuff, although it is only an instrumental.

So if anyone could give me any information on the band, and tracks I should look out for or albums worth buying, or just an opinion then I'd be very appreciative.

The first albums are more kind of Death Metal.
Then they changed to melodic death (Icon, Draconian Times)
After "Draconian Times" they changed to doom/pop/rock

My favs are "Icon" and "Draconian Times" but I do like "Shades of god" and "Gothic" to.

A few songs I think are good: As i die, Pity the sadness, Widow, True Belief, The Last Time --> (Most of the songs on "Draconian times" are good)

:kickass:

Deadlift said:
The first albums are more kind of Death Metal.
Then they changed to melodic death (Icon, Draconian Times)
After "Draconian Times" they changed to doom/pop/rock

My favs are "Icon" and "Draconian Times" but I do like "Shades of god" and "Gothic" to.

A few songs I think are good: As i die, Pity the sadness, Widow, True Belief, The Last Time --> (Most of the songs on "Draconian times" are good)

:kickass:
Shades of God and Gothic for me when I'm in the mood for gothic kinda metal. Host when I'm in another mood.

Host sounded more like Depeche Mode than Depeche Mode themselves at the time of its release, which was a surprising twist. But I do really like that album a lot when I'm in the mood for it.

It's a great album, but I just want to warn you that it sounds nothing like the other albums.