Parallel compression when mastering?

FrenchFrog

Feb 15, 2011
Froggy France!
So yeah, just wanna know if some of you use parallel comp when mastering. I tried today and it seems to be a good way (I don't do real mastering tho, only 'pseudo mastering' that's why I'd like to have replies from experienced guys)

But parallel comp or not I never get a proper attack/release settings. Really exhausting sometimes :bah:

I know mastering engineers with grammy's that do it...

+1

That is a great way to add some glue and give the whole stereo field some widening. I usually use a SSL type compressor, like the glue. The glue has a mix % knob so it is really easy to blend. Just smash the parallel compressor, blend 3-5% and you're mix should sound better. I can see if i can fix a sample later today.

I know some big names do it. I'd be pretty careful doing it with any ITB compressors. Intuition tells me it might cause more damage to transients, and shrink the size of the mix more than it helps.

we were actually talking about this at uni today. Personally, I'd stay away from it and do it in the mix instead of on the master.

Yes, I read that Bob Katz do it sometimes. Mastering is an art and I'm far from doing something decent and even I don't have a great sounding room, good speakers, etc. it's very interesting. I wonder if there's some very general "rules" regarding compressor settings. For example I'd tend to set the release always quicker than attack. To me it sounds quite logical to set fast attack, quicker release for up tempos, slower attack and release for mid/slow tempo. Is it strictly about the mix, not at all about tempo?

Yea im liking what the Parallel compression is doing to the drums especially the snare, sorta sounds like its breathing more and kinda snappier

yea, but could that same effect be achieved by parallel comping the drum buss alone, rather than the entire mix?

Yea i only listened to it once and the first thing that I obviously noticed was the drums & this definitely can be achieved by compressing the drumbuss alone. If you reckon that the mix doesnt sound better with parallel compression then mayb just try on individual instruments or instruments grouped eg. drums and guitars to the effect sends for parallel compression on these elements only

IMHO the differences in the clips posted by crillemannen are negligible. There's obviously a difference but it's hard to say which is better.