passive/acitive pickups

cuntface

New Metal Member
Jan 30, 2006
does anyone know if you can combine a passive pickup with an active one? if so wiring diagrams please:)

you can't. Too much difference regarding impedance, therefore the higher impedance of the passive pickup reduces the efficiency of the lower impedance active one, and both sound like ass.

ok thanks alot, but i wasnt sure coz ive seen pictures of people with both but, they could only be using one the other may just be there to fill the gap, but i thought they couldnt be mixed.

butt.. i was just told that some guy got it done at a guitar shop but no idea how it was done.

I've seen a guy on the local circuit with an EMG 81 in bridge position and some stock passive PU on the neck position. Now that I think about it, I can't see how it'd work. Maybe they'd have to alter the electronics to accomodate both... ie. isolate the circuits somehow? I don't know, I need to read up more about electronics... haha.

yeah i was thinking that you could have 2 seperate curcuits for both pickups. well it has to be able to be done, its not realy the biggest problem humans have solved

well it's an enormous hassle, since you have to ground them separately (unless you want SHITLOADS of noise) but it's possible in theory. I don't know how each pickup would interfere with the other one though.

BloodyScalpel said:
well it's an enormous hassle, since you have to ground them separately (unless you want SHITLOADS of noise) but it's possible in theory. I don't know how each pickup would interfere with the other one though.

As I see it you'll need dual output and fix the shit with a mixer.
I'm not a guitar tech nor I have seen what guitar electronics look like but I'm an engineering student with plenty of electronics in my degree.
in order for it to sound ok without any external alterations, besides seperate grounds you'll need to install some filters to avoid overlapping of signals from the two pickups(if you're not using a dual output) but those filters would also harm the original signals and make the guitar sound even shittier.
but whjy on earth would someone want to involve low and high impedances together, each one of them would be considered noise to the other and the thing would sound like total shit in theory even with separate grounds