Question regarding Passive versus Active pickups

How does it change the rules?

And no, Bartolini makes regular guitar pickups as well.

I'm talking in general how you can tell the difference.

Bump:

I did some investigating and went to Guitar Center and Sam Ash to ask some of the people there what I should do.

GC salespeople are fucking terrible, but I'm sure most people here knew that already.

A guy at Sam Ash had the theory that, if the pickups are truly passive while the pre-amp is active, then the guitar should still put out sound with no battery. I tried this with both of my guitars and got no sound, which would lead me to believe that the pickups in both are active pickups.

Lol. That's not true. The preamp has to be powered for you to play, because your signal runs through it. If there was an active/passive switch on your bass, then the guy at Sam Ash would be right.

Think about it this way. An onboard preamp adds another step to getting sound out of your bass. If you were running a pedalboard between your amp and instrument and it wasn't recieving power, you wouldn't hear sound coming out of your amp. The same rule applies.

SRX basses have high output passive humbuckers. It says so on the Ibanez website.

But hey, if you're talking aboot a regular guitar, then he's right.

As for SR models, the last article I read about Bartolini Mk-1's said they were passive. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll ask gR.

Passive bass pups have more of a full punchy sound to them. You have less control over a passive pup tone compared to an active set up. Passive pups have a bigger magnet than active pups, and can cause more noise.

Active pups are powered by a 9/18 volt preamp system. Depending on the type of preamp your bass has, will depend on how much control you have over the tone. Active pups will have a brighter sound over passive. Most active systems will allow you to switch between the two.

As for SR models, the last article I read about Bartolini Mk-1's said they were passive. Maybe I'm wrong. I'll ask gR.

the SR's have the bart 3 band preamp, so that part is active. but i think the pickups are passive. however, bartolini doesnt list them on there site. so i dont know for sure
~gR~

They are listed in one of the pricing lists at the very end. Other than that, there is no mention of them on their site. I actually talked to Brian at bestbassgear.com and he told me the MKs that are in the SR500 aren't real Bartolinis. They are actually some Asian made pickups that stamp the Bartolini name on them. I like the pickups regardless, but the lack of info by Bartolini pisses me off a little.

Lol. That's not true. The preamp has to be powered for you to play, because your signal runs through it. If there was an active/passive switch on your bass, then the guy at Sam Ash would be right.

I eventually figured it out

They are listed in one of the pricing lists at the very end. Other than that, there is no mention of them on their site. I actually talked to Brian at bestbassgear.com and he told me the MKs that are in the SR500 aren't real Bartolinis. They are actually some Asian made pickups that stamp the Bartolini name on them. I like the pickups regardless, but the lack of info by Bartolini pisses me off a little.

yeah, like duncan designed.

i hate it when companies do that. its basically ripping off a good companies name for sales

and btw, bartolini is the new warwick. hugely popular and quality is starting to dip.

barts definitely arent the best out there now
~gR~

Nordstrands and Bartolinis (actually made in house) are still top notch. Seymour Duncans are great as well.

Now I need to focus on getting new electronics for my GSR200