Passive bass tone knobs when recording.

mstone564

Jan 21, 2010
Hey there. I have a Spector Legend 6 and was wondering what you all suggest I have my knobs set to when I record it.
The neck and bridge volume knobs aren't a big deal because I just use the bridge only anyways, but was wondering what to do with the bass and treble.

Should I leave them both off?
Both half way?
Both all the way up?

I've even done a shoot-out and honestly can't tell the difference except for more bass/highs (obviously..). I'm mainly curious if adding boosts of EQ from the bass itself would make it more difficult to further process and what you all would do?

I'm no bassist, but I crank all of the knobs to max. Maybe sometimes reduce the bridge a bit because bass is well... mainly filling the big low-end hole in my mixes.

On a passive bass, I'd run everything all the way up. On rare occasions, I'll roll off just a little treble if I need a rounder bass tone.

On active basses, I set everything flat.

Passive=dimed, active=where ever it sounds good.

edit: Doesn't the legend have a tone pump? That's not passive.
http://www.spectorbass.com/professional/classic6.html
Says pickups are passive, and I'm pretty sure they are?
53Crëw;10200007 said:
On a passive bass, I'd run everything all the way up. On rare occasions, I'll roll off just a little treble if I need a rounder bass tone.

On active basses, I set everything flat.

For everyone saying "everything all the way up" does that include turning both the neck and bridge pickup up all the way?

Pups are passive but there is an active pre amp which means if you turn the bass/treble beyond the middle detent you are actively boosting highs and lows. The middle detent is (theoretically) equivalent to all the way up on a passive control.

Pups are passive but there is an active pre amp which means if you turn the bass/treble beyond the middle detent you are actively boosting highs and lows. The middle detent is (theoretically) equivalent to all the way up on a passive control.
There isn't any mid-way stopping point like a schecter stiletto, so would I just have to guess on what half way is? haha

Hey man,

I'm looking for the info on that pre and it's confusing and contradictory. Some people say boost only, others say boost/cut and spector (currently, apparently it's changed) says Bass: +14dB/-4dB @55Hz, Treble: +14dB/-12dB @6,5kHz which seems really strange.

Given this, I would start with it all the way down and turn them up until the sound good. Sorry if I confused the issue for you!