Passive Pickups

I really liked the DiMarzio Super Distortion I had in my Ibanez.

... but then I changed the pups to EMG's and now I like the 85 in the bridge. Not really 'better', but I like it more. I think it fits me better.

EMG's just fucking rule dawg! And yeah, my buddy I mentioned has the ZW set in his Wolfgang (with the 85 in the bridge) and it sounds BONERRIFFIC (and they're really not that hard to install, all you'll need to buy besides the pickup set is a stereo output jack - or maybe they come with one, I can't remember, but I don't think so)

I'm a big EMG fan, but the Motor City Afwayu is badass as is the PRS Tremonti. I also LOVE the Gibson 500t. I've had that sucker in probably 10 guitars.

I'm a big EMG fan, but the Motor City Afwayu is badass as is the PRS Tremonti. I also LOVE the Gibson 500t. I've had that sucker in probably 10 guitars.

+1, I have the Afwayu in my Les Paul and it rocks! I had the 500T before that which chunked quite nicely but a bit dull sounding IMO. I'm trying out the BKP Miracle Man soon. I miss the tightness of a ceramic pickup!

Joe

+1, I have the Afwayu in my Les Paul and it rocks! I had the 500T before that which chunked quite nicely but a bit dull sounding IMO. I'm trying out the BKP Miracle Man soon. I miss the tightness of a ceramic pickup!

Joe

Yeah the 500t is a little sneaky. It doesn't work well in some guitars. The Tremonti kind of addressed those issues. The 500t sounded great in my maple necked 70's LP's, but in my mahogany necked LP's it was a little dull as you said. It sounded killer in my slightly thinner PRS Singlecuts though.

Yeah the 500t is a little sneaky. It doesn't work well in some guitars. The Tremonti kind of addressed those issues. The 500t sounded great in my maple necked 70's LP's, but in my mahogany necked LP's it was a little dull as you said. It sounded killer in my slightly thinner PRS Singlecuts though.

Ah gotcha. Yeah I love trying out pickups and as much as I like EMGs in my metal axes, I feel like it's blasphemy in my Lester. :)

Joe

EMG's just fucking rule dawg! And yeah, my buddy I mentioned has the ZW set in his Wolfgang (with the 85 in the bridge) and it sounds BONERRIFFIC (and they're really not that hard to install, all you'll need to buy besides the pickup set is a stereo output jack - or maybe they come with one, I can't remember, but I don't think so)

That's good to hear. I feel like the EMG's are a sure thing for what I'm going for, so I'll probably go with those after all.

Guys, what about d-activator? does it really "emulate" emg81 in convicing way?

why get an emulation when you could just get the real thing for not much more?

just there's no place for battery in my guitar. it's antique, and I don't want to modificate its body or backplate too much.

What type of wood is it?

I had D-Activator X's in my Ibanez which was Mahogany and the output level was similar to that of an EMG, and it sounded amazing.

The D Activator X's are a mix between the X2N and D Activators.

I rate em.

What type of wood is it?

I had D-Activator X's in my Ibanez which was Mahogany and the output level was similar to that of an EMG, and it sounded amazing.

The D Activator X's are a mix between the X2N and D Activators.

I rate em.
thnx.
it's les paul shaped - mahogany/maple on top. I had x2n years ago and it was too harsh for my ears. In my second guitar( les paul epiphone standard) i have 81/85 and now I'm looking for tightness and definition of emg81 in the passive world for my main guitar. I tried unsuccesfully duncan sh-14, sh-6 and 500T.