PC Users - Free software emu of dual monitor setup.

EtherForBreakfast

Hamster Style
Jun 19, 2005
I found a link to this app in a back issue of EQ mag:

http://www.fatfreesoft.com/2desk.php

It's a double desktop/dual monitor mimicing app that works very well. Its just this little red triangle that sits next to system clock in bottom right and you can click it to zap back and forth between "left" and "right" desktops, or you can assign a hotkey.

The problem I am having is that I simply cannot get Cubase/Nuendo to work properly with it. I know that the main project window needs to be stretched to fill both "screens" but I am unable to do so. Basically I cannot get any mixer windows, VST windows etc to exist separately on the second virtual screen. I can open Firefox/Outlook/MS Word etc and slide them to screen2 no problem. However, I am unable to "detach" any part of my sequencer (mixers, DFHS pad view, etc) to allow them to go to screen 2. ??

Would anyone mind grabbing the app and giving it a shot?! It's totally free and its spyware/adware free, super easy to use, but unfortunately PC only for right now.

Great app, but no luck for me either.

It seems like the problem is that the Cubendo window can only stretch so far horizontally, and the project and transport windows can only exist in the main Cubendo window.

Argh. It almost works. You can get half of the Cubendo window on both desktops at the same time, and if you could just stretch it from there, it would totally work.

I tried different screen resolutions and no dice.

Thanks for the link though. Now I can have all my pr0n on one side and my l33t h/\x0r stuff on the other!

I'm going to try some other DAW software and see if we have a winner.

edit: It looks like all windows apps have the same "problem". You can't size them large enough to span both the left and right window.

Is there a registry setting for max window boundaries? Anyone? I think that's probably the key right there...

Sugar - My dilemma exactly. Either a registry setting for "max window size" or some way to detach any given module like you can do with the Video Window.

edit: Sugar. You mentioned trying different resolutions? I'm 1280x1024 on a 19" LCD here. From googling "cubase dual monitor" I keep seeing reference to a resolution of 1152x864, but my monitor does not support that resolution. Have you tried that?

I'll keep googling and trying things, I'm about to hit my registry in a few minutes here.

Pretty cool and it only uses 2,588k....I will have to try this with sonar

I made some small headway...

If you are using Cubendo you have to tick the Always On Top. This will allow you to move certain elements to screen "2", and not elongate the actual Cubendo main window. However, not every element has an Always On Top option.

This still does not work 100%, because you have to click on the portion of the MAIN Cubendo window in screen 2 in order to bring up your panels. Then when you go back to screen 1, boom, your panels are there instead of staying on screen 2.

If someone can figure out how to successfully stretch the main Cubendo window to fill both "screens" that would totally rule. Until then I guess I'll have to stick with hot keyed Workspaces.

OK! I think I figued it out!

So since I'm having some problems with the .NET framework here at home I can't explain in detail but I'll try to reconstruct what I did in school.

So I'm using an ATI Radeon video adapter. I have the latest catalyst drivers and I found an option like "strech desktop to both displays" or something... anyway! All I wanted to say is that to be successful with that sh*t you have to configure your video card to work with 2 displays... God my english is awful... Just f*c* with your video drivers a little bit you'll find it!
Exellent soft! Thanks :worship: :worship: :worship:

Sieger. I have an Nvidia 6150 (onboard video of my Biostar deck) and looked at every effing option available in the Nvidia menu - no avail. =(

No matter what, I am completely unable to stretch the main Cubendo window to fill both screens. =(

EtherForBreakfast said:
Sieger. I have an Nvidia 6150 (onboard video of my Biostar deck) and looked at every effing option available in the Nvidia menu - no avail. =(

No matter what, I am completely unable to stretch the main Cubendo window to fill both screens. =(

It depends the card and what it supports......My ATI 9800 supports it.....

Urethra! I've found it.

Here it is, y'all:

1) Load up Double Desktop

2) Open ATI Catalyst, go to Display Options, check "Force TV Detection"
1.jpg

3) Go to Displays Manager, right click the TV and select "Clone Main with TV"
2.jpg

4) Right click on the Clone and select "Extend Main on to TV"
3.jpg

5) Open your DAW and go nuts.
4.jpg

So there you have it. Works fine so far on my Radeon 8500. Freakin' sweet!

Muchas gracias, everyone.