Peavey 6534

Im not really contradicting myself, If anything YOU are contradicting your self. Im not trying to start a fueled internet debate, but if a tube breaks up more than another, wouldnt it be safe to say that IT DOESNT HAVE AS MUCH HEADROOM AS THE TUBE THAT DOESNT BREAK UP AS MUCH?
despite what you think everyone is saying, I know from experience that 6l6`s are much tighter and focused sounding. I dont know what anyone who thinks that el34s are tighter is smoking. I agree that they do sound pretty dope in the right applications, and that tightness is subjective.

Settle own man, no need to get worked up :kickass:

Use of adjectives to describe tone is so subjective is not even remotely funny. EL34s do have less bass, there is more of a general roll off on the bass, as they simply don't pass lower frequencies well. The result is an amp that has slightly less weight. Giving them a quicker reaction time to the listener because you are not hearing as much of the bass frequencies walking over the rest of the sound. And as long as your not pushing the amp too hard, at bedroom volumes and usually a bit higher you won't have any loss of headroom, well you will but until ungodly levels the small amount of saturation just attenuates highs, this is why there is a magic volume when recording for any tube, saturated enough to roll of the desired amount of highs without saturating the tube into distortion.

The other issue of the subjective term of tightness is that EL34's because they are mid heavy saturate the mids a bit more and can turn the attack sludgy a bit. In my experience EL34's have a tighter low end because well they have less of it however in the overall sound, they lack tightness in the sense that at higher volumes notes being to slur together.

anyways, no internet debate. you may prefer the chimey highs and mid range that el34s offer, but I personally prefer in your face scooped tones with lots of low end, so I`ll stick with 6l6

Honestly I don't know what tube dominates as my personal favorite, but I think that I am leaning towards the KT88 variety. Put it this way, my 5150 mkI has 6L6's and I have the resonance dimed, bass at 8 and mids at 2, my cabinet is loaded with 12GT-75's, so its scoop city.

This is untrue. The basic function of gain stages applies that the input impedance of one stage effects the output impedance of the previous stage. This can effect the amplifier by poor design causing blocking distortion or an altered resonance of the miller frequency. While these will be minor they will be there.

Also you have to take in effect that the reactance of the power tubes change (from two of the same type of different brands, even to two different types of tubes). The reactance curve of an EL34, as well as its difference in headroom and input/output impedances will cause a different coloration than a 6L6.

Its not tightening up the preamp that you would use different tubes, its the additional coloration and saturation characteristics that you prefer.

Please actually read what I wrote and in what context it was in. What I am saying is that the position of the "EQ" if you will (as that's all we're talking about here really) in the gain stage will affect the sound. You know this and I know this so lets leave it at that.