Peavey Rockmaster

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
About to get one of these. Already own a few amps- like a JCM 800 and have an SS power amp thats sounds decent( not fantastic). My brother who I play with has an ENGL e530 and a Laney GH50L so I've got a few choices already.
Guy I know is selling one and I'd heard mixed things so figured I'd try it out. He plays in a fast grindy death metal band and while I don't like his tone, he uses wayyy to much distortion and scoops the mids like crazy so I'm gonna blame it on user error there.

I want it for live and obviously will give it a go with recording. I tend to go for a kinda bright and more mid rangy heavy tone than a modern scooped one I suppose.
How do you guys rate them?
Also heard these were the basis for the pre secrtion of a 5150? Can it get in the same ball park?

Ahh right.

Anyones tone it's similar to or who's used one? Should be picking this up sunday/monday. looking forward to playing with it.

Got this yesterday.
Clean sounded broken on it- weirdly distorted but I stuck a patch cable in the clean fx loop and it seemed to fix it. Clean is pretty nice but a little sterile, fine for what I need live anyways. Nice to have its own eq section!
The distortion is great, clear, tons of variety with the EQ section on it, the slightest change on the mid section completely changes the tone ballpark. Very easy to dial in any kind of Maiden tone on it, can do scooped tones too though from what I've seen so far it sounds better with the mid heavy stuff than scooped.
The pull switches for gain/mid control are handy, it covers everything from clean to ac/dc to completely over saturdated death metal.

Anyone else own one here?