Engl e530 vs Peavey Rockmaster

Our guitarist got a 530 a couple of days ago and now is on vacation.
So I thought that might be an opportunity to make some tests and tweaking to be prepared for recording stuff when he`s back.
So here`s a quick 1st test clip, I think the gain was a bit too high. Also I`m the drummer so don`t expect awsome skills...

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1018681/engltest.mp3

Here`s a version pitched down

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1018681/engltestpitch.mp3

Another thing, I don`t think it`s a problem with the Engl because it`s on DIs as well. Sometimes you can hear some notes have a cling to them , sounds a bit like slap bass. What could that be, a Jackson/EMG81 thing maybe ?

Are you using a TS or anything else in front of the Rockmaster on this clip?
+1

I'm curious to know this also. Lately I have been running my Rockmaster without a boost and tightening it up post-gain with its (really powerful active) onboard EQ. My SD-1 gives it a strange mid-hump and the Bad Monkey sounds wackily "out of phase" with it (I can't exactly figure out why). This doesnt's happen with any of my other pre-s.

Running it without a boost (in the room) gave me a huge kick , because some lost dynamics appeared out of nowhere and it sounded so much better than boosted. Removing the boost also seemed to improve clarity, which is . . . strange.

So, Jarkko, do you mind sharing if yours is boosted or not and what you use with it? Thanks!

Ah, sorry guys, I forgot :) I used a Bad Monkey in front, with barely any gain, bass at 12 o'clock, treble at about 12:30 and volume at 12 o'clock. I'm really interested in trying it with a tubescream with the volume knob cranked more, but I'll have to wait until my Musikding DIY TS kit arrives :/

And thanks for the compliments! :)

Hi guys,
post is old, but here is my demo peavey rockmaster vs engl e530, hi-gain sound. Which one you perfer?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my rockmaster from this forum for 200$. Like all things Peavey USA, it's a goddamn tank. Not much to say besides it is VERY similar in topology to most Engls of all things (4 gain stages/no cathode follower). It has diodes in the signal path in the noisegate section which is always on. A fine preamp, I don't really care for the crunch channel since I own two ADA MP-1s and a Marshall JVM410 that do the marshall business better anyways.

I've been looking for an e530 but might just go ahead and build one (with the red channel only). I have to take Lasse's side in the argument and voice my dissappointment with all things Engl. It seems like Bruno Engl stuck the very same preamp circuit in every one of his amps, with some small modification of the EQ and a different poweramp. A good friend of mine owns a Powerball Mk. I and while it has that great bedroom tone and chuggadelic response kids love, live it will get killed by almost anything. Even a H&K Warp solid state head will render the powerball inaudible. Cold, sterile, flat, lifeless. Huge in America (I remember 5 years ago everyone in America would be all over them like they were some Ferraris), just like Mesa in Europe, for no goddamn reason whatsoever.

The RM kills the e530 in that video ;)

The Peavey sounded more saturated and chunkier in that vid. A tiny bit fizzier too, but I honestly liked the Rockmaster better there.