Engl e530 vs Peavey Rockmaster

red_f0x

Dec 20, 2008
Hi guys!

Can you please help me to choose one of these two devices.
Ok, my tastes and pros/cons in each of them:

E530 - (+) Very tight, aggressive, modern sounding (trendy I'd say)
(-) Kinda too fry, no body, at lest on the samples I've heard. Maybe it is hi pass (100Hz) going on in there, can be useful to fit it in the mix without destroying the source (I mean post eq-ing in DAW)
Price. It is nonsense, BUT : all we know they are made in Germany. But FUCK, prices in Europe are that higher than in the US. How can that be real? Item was shipped from Germany to US, sold and shipped back to Europe. And it cheaper than in Europe initially. But that may be fucking Euro exchange rate issue.
I will need to modify it for our electricity standards, but it is pretty simple, I've got a good friend of mine that is god in soldering, electric stuff etc.

Rockmaster - (+) Fat, full and round sound. I can buy it here in Kiev, used.
already modified to 220V, good stuff.
(-) The are old, so reliability is questionable.
What about the low end in there, I am worried it will bounce as I have heard in samples, and kinda fizzy.

One more thing: Eng has 2 tubes and rockmaster has 4. Does it affect on quality. Rockmaster can be a bastard without a good tube power amp, when Engl won't as it doesn't have full tube distortion circuit.
I will be recording everything straight into my Mackie Onyx Satellite, maybe will add my OD808 incredible clone in the chain.

Opinions? I know they both are great for the price, but..

Yeah, but it will cost shipped twice as rockmaster. Don't know the price for Rockmaster though))
Will find out tomorrow.
Engl 530 are rare suckers on Ebay. There is new on Ebay for $559 there , pretty expensive.
Some motherfucker has stolen used one just second before I hit buy it now button. God damn you - rot in hell )))

Well, yeah, the Peavey is cheaper, and it does sound good, but if you want a really great preamp, the E530 is hard to beat. It can nail that Savage tone with the right power amp ( or impulse I guess )

Who knows a real price for used Engl? Maybe someone sell it over here? Ebay sellers always afraid of shipping outside US, but I can't understand it(( You ship it and all the mess is on buyer's shoulders now.

I had a Rockmaster years ago and it was not my thing at all. Bought it on EBay without trying it out. Go ENGL totally, and I don't even own an ENGL, but I know any ENGL will kick the shit out of a Rockmaster. It's a totally different league dude.

You have changed tubes, right? That may be a good deal, as everyone recommends to change them as stock tubes suck.

I don't mean I can't pay for ENGL. I just have Rockmaster used that I can try and buy. And I have Engl overseas. They are both great. So I am in a uncertainty

Just curious... what do you guys think of the low-end on the ENGL? I remember Matt has mentioned it's not exactly a low-end monster...

Just curious... what do you guys think of the low-end on the ENGL? I remember Matt has mentioned it's not exactly a low-end monster...

Plenty of beefy low end, unless you're using EMG 81s, in which case you have to get clever with EQ and multitracking. But that's an issue with 81s more than the e530. That's why I use 85s myself...

I haven't tried a Rockmaster though, I'm curious to honestly. How is it for leads, cleans, and mid-gain crunch/rock stuff?

Case closed.

If you can't pay for the ENGL buy the Rockmaster, just don't expect it to sound anything like an ENGL.

I had a Rockmaster years ago and it was not my thing at all. Bought it on EBay without trying it out. Go ENGL totally, and I don't even own an ENGL, but I know any ENGL will kick the shit out of a Rockmaster. It's a totally different league dude.

No, one is.

I'm alwayz amazed how blinded many americans are just by the "made in Germany" tag.
the built quiality of engl is inferior to most other brands (fact), but that's nothing major (at least as long as the amp doesn't fail), so I'd even ignore that.
Engl Amps do sound good (well, some do) but they're by no means holy grail boutique amps, whether they're better or worse (sounding) than peavey, mesa, marshall...is ONLY a matter of personal taste.
It's beyond my why so many people over at the other side of the pond think engl are that great.

I'd take the Peavey over the Engl any day...but that's just my OPINION like your statements show your OPINION. (I've owned about 8 Engl Amps myself and am still using their cabs, so I'm not really biased...just experienced ;) )

Go ENGL totally, and I don't even own an ENGL, but I know any ENGL will kick the shit out of a Rockmaster. It's a totally different league dude.
this is the best one and says everything ;)

Haha :) The Rockmaster and the E530 go for about the same price around here used, both are usually 300-350€. Yes, they sound very different, but I wouldn't say the Engl "rapes the shit out" of the Rockmaster - after all, I ended up getting the RM, not E530. I'm thinking of maybe getting the E530 in addition, but if it has trouble handling EMG 81's, then meh. I'm not gonna change out a pickup that works great with pretty much any other hi-gain amp out there.

I'll post some new clips next week when I get my DIY TS and a batch of new TungSol tubes :)

I'm alwayz amazed how blinded many americans are just by the "made in Germany" tag.
the built quiality of engl is inferior to most other brands (fact), but that's nothing major (at least as long as the amp doesn't fail), so I'd even ignore that.
Engl Amps do sound good (well, some do) but they're by no means holy grail boutique amps, whether they're better or worse (sounding) than peavey, mesa, marshall...is ONLY a matter of personal taste.
It's beyond my why so many people over at the other side of the pond think engl are that great.

I'd take the Peavey over the Engl any day...but that's just my OPINION like your statements show your OPINION. (I've owned about 8 Engl Amps myself and am still using their cabs, so I'm not really biased...just experienced ;) )

this is the best one and says everything ;)

I probably didn't make myself totally clear... This comes down to subjectivity of course, but I owned a Rockmaster and I hated it. Never could get into it at all. I didn't OWN an EGNL but I've played ENGLs and they all were much better sounding than the Rockmaster to me. But still neither are my amp of choice, I prefer Mesa but that's me. I didn't mention build quality at all, and do you really think the Rockmaster build quality is great? ROFL! You'd be hard pressed to find one used fully intact. I really appreciate you trying to make me out as some dumb American. Thanks!

I really appreciate you trying to make me out as some dumb American. Thanks!

Actually, that wasn't his intent at all, cuz Lasse doesn't roll that way - rather, he was just trying to banish the mystique and awe a lot of people here associate with Engls due to their price and "Made in Germany" status; I admit I did for awhile, but it has since mostly faded! :loco: And only in your most recent post did you start adding in the opinion-establishing statements such as "to me", rather than blatantly declaring that any Engl will "kick the shit" out of the Rockmaster. Just something to keep in mind for future recommendations ;)

And I take great exception to this post:

Plenty of beefy low end, unless you're using EMG 81s, in which case you have to get clever with EQ and multitracking. But that's an issue with 81s more than the e530. That's why I use 85s myself...

But at least I know the reputation (earned through appearing on countless albums and played by countless satisfied guitarists) of the 81 is such that I don't really even need to offer a counterargument :loco:

I really appreciate you trying to make me out as some dumb American. Thanks!

wasn't my intention (sorry if you understood it that way)...it's just a fact that amps from Germany are regarded überawesome in the US....similar thing with Mesa over here...both sides often lose objectivity by being blinded by the mystique around foreign brands.
I was only aiming at your black and white statement without even having owned the amp.
And yes, sadly I have to say that Engls build quality is inferior to Peavey's...but as I said as long as the amp doesn't fail on me I don't care whether it's gold or ducttape holding the parts in place.