Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w... opinions?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
Has anyone played this amp? (Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w)

I posted a thread about a month ago asking for opinions on a new Amp, and i'm highly considering this one that was recommended. Other amps that were recommended were a 6505, 5150, a Roland Cube 30x, and also VOX. Buuuut, since I don't have enough for the 5150 or the 6505, and the Roland and Vox didn't have some of the features I was looking for, I'm really thinking about the Vypyr Tube 60.

Guitar Center is having a 20% off sale this weekend, and i'm trying to figure out very quickly if I should get this. Any suggestions would be great!

Pros:
------
- "Real 6L6 tube power" emulates the tube sound
- USB recording interface
- within my price range ( now that it's 20% off!! :) )
- built-in effects (this is REALLLY nice because i'm still a "n00b" and don't have a POD. I'm still stuck with a few old BOSS pedals).

Cons:
------
- I've heard that USB recording interfaces from amps like these can sometimes produce shitty latency when trying to record and monitor real-time. Do you have any experience w/ Amps like these (or maybe a POD) that offers a USB recording interface? Any latency issues? I have a PC w/ an Intel Duo Core 2 processor and 2 gigs of ram. I haven't decided on a recording program yet... i'm thinking about starting with Reaper. (like I said, i'm a n0000b)
- It's only 1x12" (although, i've heard this bitch gets LOUD.)

I don't have to play live with this... the other guitarist in my band has an extra Marshall stack that he lets me borrow. I just want something that's affordable (less than $500) that gives me a good practice amp that's loud, has a tube feel to it, has effects built in (so I don't have to purchase a POD and an Amp), and it emulates a lot of sweet amps.

Ok... so, for only $359.99 (after 20% off)... do you guys think this would be a good move to hold me over until I can afford a 5150 or 6505 and a POD? (i'm Amp-less right now)

FUCKING DO IT

Me and Ryan can ALMOST, ALMOST, ALMOST get a legit 5150 tone from these things. Make sure to slap a gate in the chain though, as this thing is noisy as hell.

Beats the FUCK out of a spider.

FUCKING DO IT

Me and Ryan can ALMOST, ALMOST, ALMOST get a legit 5150 tone from these things. Make sure to slap a gate in the chain though, as this thing is noisy as hell.

Beats the FUCK out of a spider.

:lol: Thanks Shreddy! What do you think about the USB recording interface feature? Any issues you've experienced w/ it? (I current'y don't have a recording interface for my PC... so this is a really important feature for me too :))

If there's a Line out or FX send, use that with one of Ryan's impulses instead. It's practically useless for recording as there is a bit of latency.

Do you have an interface?

The software that comes with the VYPYR's is just an "LE" version of Reaper, so a lite version that they are giving away. Damn good sounding amps for the price range, that's for sure!

I saw All That Remains like w/ Devildriver n Slipknot not too long ago, and as they were wheeling away their gear, they had their Mesa Triple Rec's on each side, and then a VYPYR 60w Tube behind there as well, mic'd up and everything. I *think* they might have been using them for cleans, then just using an A-B-Y switch somewhere or something...

I really wouldn't expect any of those bands to use a Vypyr over Recs live for distorted sound, cleans I'd definitely believe though.

Cool, thanks guys. I appreciate your input.

Thank you as well for the suggestions for the recording interface. Hopefully the software will provide some sort of "fix" for any latency issues.

The guy at Guitar Center just said they only have the used floor model left. So he said I could buy it, take it home and basically have 2 weeks to try it out. They will order a new one for me, so I can bring this one back when the new one arrives, and if it turns out that I don't like it, I can get my money back and not be forced to swap it for the new one. Haha

What I like about the Vypyrs is the fact that it's the only modeling combo other than the Vetta that comes with a Tubescreamer model.

I haven't really played one throughly, to be honest, but I keep reading that all the high gain models sound too alike.

Hmm, i dont know if the tube version has the same problems as the solid state one, but the ss-versions do not boot up if the room is too cold!
We have sent several of them back for repairs thinking that they where broken, just to be told that they are "sensitive to temperatures". :erk:

Well, I went and picked up the used one last night and only paid $350 for it. They still said I can come and swap it out for the new one when it arrives at no extra cost. I must say that this thing sounds amazing! I had a Laney half-stack that never got as loud as this does. LOL... and I only have turned it up to about a 4. I'd like to get the USB feature working though, so I can post some clips for you all of some different modeling samples.

You see... i'm experiencing WAYYYYYY too much latency -- as I feared would happen. It came with an eval. version of Reaper, but for some reason when I go into the Preferences>Audio/Device I only had the option of choosing either "DirectSound", "WDM Kernel Streaming", "WaveOut", and "Dummy Audio" as my audio system. All of these systems gave me the "USB" option under my "input device" when I had my amped plugged in, but there was WAYYYY too much Latency. I tried adjusting the buffers (default is 8x1024 - 185ms latency) and lowering it from an 8 to a 1, but there was way too much choppyness going on. 8 seemed to be the only safe number to be on.

I read somewhere that I need an ASIO driver selected as my sound system. I installed ASIO4ALL v2, and I was able to select my USB device from the list of audio inputs; however, since I don't have an external sound system (realtime monitors) I need to have my output range still selected to use my built-in PC soundcard. But when I have ASIO selected, that option goes out the window for audio output... it only gives me ASIO options. Sooooooooo.... if I can't hear what i'm playing, or hear what i'm trying to play over, latency doesn't really matter. Haha. It would seem I have bigger problems now. I guess I want the best of both worlds it would seem. I want to be able to hear what i'm recording along with my other backing tracks, without having to deal w/ the severe latency issue.

So, it would seem i'm stuck. :-\ Any suggestions? I'm sure i'm not the only one that has had problems trying to get rid of latency using a USB recording interface. Please help!!

Thank you.

Oh, and Notuern... I live in Arizona.... I don't have to worry about it getting too cold here! ;) It won't drop below 100 degrees for another 4 months probably. hahaha

I was actually going to be recording some clips tomorrow with it. Good timing on your part to ask for some! I'll post them here. I'm subscribed to this thread, so if you don't see any clips posted by tomorrow evening, just reply back and prod me as a quick reminder. :lol:

Is there anything specific you want to hear tone wise?

Also, does the head version have the direct studio output as well? If so, do you want examples of the amp mic'd or do you want their wannabe direct input clips as well? (I can tell u right now that the direct input feature of the amp sucks in my opinion -- too much latency for my liking. And it also makes all the tones and amp sims sound flat and lifeless)

Pretty good. I've been slacking about posting any clips from it. I'll upload a few this week hopefully. Computer crashed and I lost everything. RE-installation time.... :erk:

It would be nice to have some demos of this. I'm interested in the 120 watts head as well.

No mixing of any kind on that either.. obviously. Direct bass, and the Steven Slate Drums EX I got on that kick ass deal / mess up that they did with the Metal and More pack.. whoo! I'm impressed with the tone I can get out of this thing with the volume just barely on 1. The K-Stein model is by far my favorite of all though. I'm a major Mesa Rec fanboy, but I keep coming back to the K-Stein for everything.

I have the 30-watt solid-state version. I like it. It's alright.

I think most of the models are SUPER fizzy-sounding, tho. I haven't tried recording it, but for bedroom practice, I think a lot of the models are very bright and harsh-sounding. I usually find myself running the treble knob super low on pretty much all of the models.

Once you dial it in, it's a great amp for the money, tho. I really like the XXX and JSX models. The Recto model is also kinda cool, but almost on the verge of being too bright for me too.