Peavey Vypyr

InYourMemorie

BurtangO
Aug 26, 2009
California
Any opinions on these? Thinking about getting one for practicing so I don't kill my neighbors ears. I am a huge huge Peavey fan and I was hoping someone could give me some insight as to if this is worth buying?

Oh by the way i was thinking the Vypyr 75 or 100

I've got the 30-watt version. It's alright for what it is. I find it's kinda hard to dial out the harshness/extreme brightness in its tone.

I've been running the POD into its CD input and I like it much better this way, TBH.

Solid practice amp for when I don't feel like firing up my whole system to play... I was pleasantly surprised for the money. I'm into the whole Jeff Loomis type shred sound and it's good for practicing in that style.

The 30 will be plenty loud. It's a great practice amp, but sucks under a mic. Direct out is decent for demo-type recordings.

I wasnt planning on mic'ing it at all anyway, this is strictly for practice, im running a 5150 right now and its just too damn loud and my neighbors are always complaining about it so i need something a little more quiet.

I have the Vypyr Tube 60 and it's amazing. Actually, it's the only amp I own.
I use the pitch shifter with both dials set to 12 o'clock to get rid of the fizz and bring out the low end.
I haven't tried switching out the tubes yet, but the Recto sound I get out of this thing is killer.

Their incredible amps, improved my playing so much. I got the 120 watt model cause I got it cheap with the sanpera pedal and I use it for practicing
but I don't have any neighbours so noise level isn't to much of a problem. I'd say you should get the 60 watt model and that will be perfect for practicing
or jamming with a band.

Yeah, the 60 watt tube is VERY loud when you need it to be, and it goes to 11! I have older people living in the house above me so I can't play loud at all.. I just crank the post gain and use the master for volume and get some amazing tones. For practice and live you can't go wrong with the Tube 60. If you really like the tones this thing delivers you could always add an external cab to it as well, so for the money it's not JUST a practice amp.

The 30 will be plenty loud. It's a great practice amp, but sucks under a mic. Direct out is decent for demo-type recordings.

Might the case, but the 60 is tube powered... 30 is transistor.

Anyway, i'd recomend you search for a triple xxx 40 watt combo with dsp effects. It ain't a modeller but i don't think that's the most important thing to you. It give a shit load of possiblities like the vypyr, 3 channels, a dsp effects section. But sounds a lot better..

Well, anywho that was my choice when I needed a small combo amp for the second band I play in.

I created a similar thread last year.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/504669-peavey-vypyr-tube-60w-opinions.html

The tube 60w is amazing in my opinion. Aside from an all tube powered amp like a vox or a fender or a 5150 combo, I would say it's one of the best practice amps for the money if you get tube powered. It's the best practice amp i've had for sure, and I even use it to play over drums when rehearsing w/ the band as well. It's even loud enough to gig with. Just slap a TS9 in front of it and mic it up w/ a 57 and an i5 and you're good to go!

Anyway, here are some recordings in my thread of people using it mic'd up...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1283560/sotot.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5218029/New 3-8-2010.mp3

But as someone else already stated, be sure to get the 60w if you want a great sounding versatile practice/gigging amp. GC had a promo one weekend and I got a $100 knocked off of it... so yeah, it was definitely worth the $300 I paid for it. :)