Peavy ValveKing

DayByDayBand

Thrashin' With Pashin'
Feb 19, 2011
United States
so, im getting this amp soon. used for 500 american dollars. the head and the stock cab. i was just wondering if you guys had any comments or anything on this amp. i dont know much about it, but i heard it live and it sounded alright. any comments on this half stack would be nice from the fellow sneapsters

It's a piece of shit. Sure, some guys can get some good mic'd tones from it, but as a head for a band setting, don't get it.

well, i always hear that its terrible but when i heard it live it sounded pretty decent and it wasnt miced or anything. i guess i could take the settings from him???

It's not too bad an amp actually. Quite dark sounding.

The big thing I don't like about it is that the mid control is totally set at the wrong frequency, so when you're turning the mid's down you get a situation like this:
Way too much mids,
too much mids,
still too much mids,
a bit too much mids,
OMG where did my entire midrange go!?

I bet you could get something really good out of it with an eq in the loop

Yeah with an Eq pedal you could mold it pretty nicely, they're not piece of shit IMO but not great either. Although there's the combo version in one of the rehearsal places I've been to and it's total crap, the clean channel sounds really dirty and the distortion channel isn't dirty enough hahaha

Edit: I have used the head/cab one, that's not too bad as I mentioned, but my experience with the combo one is that it sucks

I always quite liked the Valvekings. It's kind of like a good base tone for working on. You will need to tighten it up with an EQ or ts pedal, and it wont sound great until you tweak it and get it LOUD as all unholy fuck.

It is a dark sounding amp, but I tend to prefer dark tones.

YMMV.

I wouldn't call it a piece of shit amp.. but for 500$ theres tons of other amps i would rather buy.

I wouldn't call it a piece of shit amp.. but for 500$ theres tons of other amps i would rather buy.

+1

Valvekings are OK, nice suggestion about the EQ in the loop, it could really do wonders. But for $500? You could almost get a used 6505 for the price, couldn't you? I mean in the USA, we pay like $1500 for a new one and about $1000 for a used one :) (and that's a good price)

500? that was their price on europe online sellers ( like thomann and all) some time ago...

I have used one of those, yes, it's really dark, and the mids are quite...nasal to me. It's also really noisy.
Not a piece of junk, that would be valvestates to me. Dunno, even one of those bugera's could be an option...and you have a warranty period.

My band's other guitar player has bought a 5150 head recently for 550...and we're talking about europe. I bought mine brand new for 1000 last year.