People who buy vinyl or fans of trad. doom, please do my questionnaire!

Killbot

A Killer Robot
Jul 1, 2005
Kent, England
www.myspace.com
Basically as part of my business coursework I need to do some research, part of which involves a questionnaire with relevent potential consumer groups. You are the closest to that i could think of. If you want to know the context of the questions, the title of my coursework is 'Would extension strategies on Rise Above Records vinyl record catalogue be a useful investment for the company'.
Pleeeeease help me out because my teacher is starting to get on my back about this and I need to get it done soon.

Anyway, to answer the multiple choice questions just write a,b,c,d,e or whatever, corresponding to the answer you select. The questions at the end are not multiple choice, but if you want to answer them that would help me a lot.
What is your preferred medium of music purchase?

a) CD
b) Tape
c) Vinyl
d) Digital Download
e) Other (please state)

How much does advertising (in any form) influence the music you buy?
a) It is the only factor that influences my decision
b) A lot
c) A bit
d) Not very much
e) Not at all

How much of your music collection consists of vinyl records?

a) 100%
b) >50%
c) 25-50%
d) 5-25%
e) <5%

What aspect of vinyl records is most appealing to you over other forms?

a) Artwork
b) Sound quality
c) Special vinyl only extras
d) ‘Vintage’/ ‘Old School’ appeal
e) Other (please state)

How much have newer mediums of music releases decreased the amount you spend on vinyl?

a) I now spend more on vinyl due to other mediums being available
b) I spend the same on vinyl as before despite other mediums being available
c) My vinyl spending has decreased slightly due to other mediums being available
d) The amount I spend on vinyl has decreased significantly due to other mediums being available
e) I have stopped buying vinyl records due to other mediums being available

How important is it for the place you purchase music from to have a vinyl catalogue?

a) Essential
b) Very important
c) Quite important
d) Not very important
e) Not important at all

What would convince you most to spend more on vinyl records?

a) Make them slightly cheaper (for example between 10% - 15% cheaper)
b) More special edition releases
c) Vinyl only extras such as bonus tracks or posters in record sleeve
d) More emphasis on availability and quality
e) Other (please state)

If vinyl products were discontinued what would be the affect on your music purchasing habits?

a) I would spend more on other mediums
b) I would spend the same amount on other mediums
c) The amount I spend on music would decrease slightly
e) I would dramatically decrease the amount I spend on music
f) I would stop buying music altogether

Which of the following factors is the biggest influence on the medium of music you buy?

a) Price
b) Appearance
c) Sound quality
d) Availability and ease of purchase

To what extent do you think you could be persuaded to buy more vinyl records through promotions such as sales and extra advertisement?

Are there any ways you would improve a complete vinyl product? If yes, please state what they are

a) CD

c) A bit

d) 5-25%

b) Sound quality

How much have newer mediums of music releases decreased the amount you spend on vinyl?

How important is it for the place you purchase music from to have a vinyl catalogue?
c) Quite important

If vinyl products were discontinued what would be the affect on your music purchasing habits?

Which of the following factors is the biggest influence on the medium of music you buy?

To what extent do you think you could be persuaded to buy more vinyl records through promotions such as sales and extra advertisement?

Not much, unless the products themselves are quality.

Are there any ways you would improve a complete vinyl product? If yes, please state what they are.

A proper vinyl product takes note of all aspects of the release and is not simply a transfer from CD to Vinyl, as has been the case for many larger labels lately. It may not be necessary to have a completely different master for the CD and Vinyl editions (though it is preferred since each medium has its own strengths and weaknesses), but the company has to realize that buying an LP is not the same as buying a CD. An LP is more of an experience, whereas as a CD is more of a commodity for ease of use. The most immediate advantage a label will want to exploit for promoting a vinyl product is the superiority of the visual presentation. A nicely done gatefold art display that properly encapsulates the listening experience of the album in question can greatly enhance the recording and make buyers lean that much further toward LPs over CDs. The layout of the LP is also important, and should be paid close attention to. A large booklet may not be necessary, but at the very least, a lyric sheet that looks at though some effort was put into it is a nice touch. For gatefold LPs, there are many avenues one can take, such as lavish artwork on a larger than normal scale or a creatively laid out lyric sheet on the gatefold itself. These and other methods can be very effective. MOST importantly, however, is the necessity of labels to LISTEN TO their test pressings closely and intently. I have heard and experienced a number of horror stories for records produced by larger labels which have glaring and obvious audio deficiencies which could have easily been rectified in the test pressing stage. This is the most crucial element of a high quality LP package, so labels really need to pay more attention to it.

One problem I have with vinyl is how much it costs to ship if you order online. :(

But I don't buy vinyl very much at all so I can't take this really.

a) CD

d) Not very much

d) 5-25%

a) Artwork

c) Quite important

To what extent do you think you could be persuaded to buy more vinyl records through promotions such as sales and extra advertisement?Price makes a difference, but not if it comes at the expense of quality/packaging. I would pay $20-25 for a gatefold with decorated sleeves and colored vinyl and a poster, but probably would not pay $12 or $15 for just the vinyl and sleeve. Sales on nicely packaged LPs would certainly increase the chance that I would buy them, but that's probably just not profitable. I have seen some very worthy LPs at $15 though. The new DsO had a poster, full-size booklet, and gatefold, and it was either $15 or $16. Extra advertisement only helps to the extent that I know the product exists. I usually hear about releases through word of mouth, skimming online distros, and seeing stuff in-store.

Are there any ways you would improve a complete vinyl product? If yes, please state what they are.
Packing in a shirt with a mailorder is an effective sales tactic. The big edge cds have over vinyl is portability. I like being able to store songs on my computer, play them in the car, or put them on an Ipod. I would like to have the vinyl for the artwork, and (sometimes) better sound, but usually opt for cds for portability. If vinyls came with the songs on a disc, or maybe had a code to allow downloads, I would probably buy more vinyl, even if the cost went up a dollar or two. I have many of my vinyl albums on cd as well. It would be more cost effective (on my end) if there were combo packages available.

If you need a retailer's perspective, you should call Mark at Metal Haven. He's run the store for 8 or so years, and they have a pretty fair vinyl section. He worked in chain retail music stores before then, so he could tell you about metal vs. mainstream buying habits.

a) CD

d) Not very much

d) 5-25%

b) Sound quality

b) Very important

a) Price
c) Sound quality

The only way I would buy more vinyl is if my salary increased dramatically

Are there any ways you would improve a complete vinyl product? If yes, please state what they are

More vinyl-only extras, as stated above

a) CD

d) Not very much

e) <5%

b) Sound quality

d) The amount I spend on vinyl has decreased significantly due to other mediums being available

d) Not very important

e) Other (please state)
-Lower record player and stereo prices.

I wouldn't, really.

c) Vinyl

c) A bit

f) <60%

a) Artwork
b) Sound quality

a) I now spend more on vinyl due to other mediums being available

a) Essential

c) The amount I spend on music would decrease slightly

a) Price
b) Appearance
c) Sound quality

I don't need to be persuaded if I like the band.

Put more effort into it, high quality print, thick gatefold jacket, nice inserts, perhaps a novelty such as a poster or a patch, etc.

a) CD

d) Not very much

d) 5-25%

d) Not very important

a) Price

I usually buy vinyls either if it is an album I'm a fanboy of and want it on both vinyl and cd, cheap used vinyls or if they are really nicely packaged. An average album on standard vinyl with no extras for full price is not something I buy often. But I gladly buy a vinyl for more then what a cd costs if it is gatefold with a nice inlay, heavy vinyl and maybe some extra like a patch or a poster.

[/quote]

Anything that improves the visuals, extra gadgets and the feeling of buying an exclusive product. Pretty much stuff I mentioned on the question above.

a) CD

c) A bit

d) 5-25%

a) Artwork

c) My vinyl spending has decreased slightly due to other mediums being available

d) Not very important

e) Other (please state) making vinyl mp3 ripping devices more readily available

not by much. vinyl to me is mostly for collection purposes.

pretty much what Jean-Pierre stated

a) CD

c) A bit

e) <5%

a) Artwork

e) Not important at all

a) Price

A bit.

[/QUOTE]

(no answer)

a) CD

d) Not very much

d) 5-25%

a) Artwork

Irrevelant

d) Not very important

a) Price

If I want to buy something, then I'll buy it. The only way the above two examples would make me buy more, would be simply by letting me know that certain products are available.

Depends entirely on the individual product. Some products could be improved immensely, others are excellent. In the end it is really dependent on the label.

Dude. I remember having to do that shit in GCSE Business Studies, and yours looks more complicated. Good luck.

a) CD

e) Not at all

e) <5%

a) Artwork

e) Not important at all

a) Price

More sales than extra advertisement. I don't pay much attention to advertisement, but would buy more vinyl if the good records were cheaper.

No.