Perfect guitarists???

selke61

Music Producing Ginger
Jan 25, 2011
How does Joey get his guitarists to play so perfect and on time on both sides of the stereo field? (The left and right tracking)

Thats true. Guitarists come in and they aren't consistent. I try to get them to play the riff over and over till they get it perfect, but then they whine. I should add I have no trouble recording myself on guitar.

i guess the most important thing is to get the guitarist as comfortable as possible, then have them adapt to your production method.

if your intention is to just track the guitars as tightly as you can ...then track with "comping" in mind... most of joey's guitars are edited tightly. so just remember to edit at zero crossing point in the waveform and you should have tight non-abrassive performances. editing guitars can be a lot like programming midi. you just have to make sure that the duration fits in the "pocket" without sounding too "artificial."

timing is everything.

edit: it's also worth mentioning that nick sampson (i am abomination) tracks all of joey's guitars for him. so i'm sure nick really knows what to say and what makes the best performance ...and considering nick may just be one of the best young guitarist on earth, i don't really think too many people would argue with his tracking methods. ;)

Yeah, the perfectness on both L and R channels comes from not just a tight performance, but ultimately well-done slip-editing.
Whether or not the tightness from Joey's players comes from their performances or heavy slip-editing, I have no idea.
But, slip-editing is an almost sure-fire way to achieve what you're asking about.

Yeah I edit my guitars to point to make them sound tighter, but sometimes getting a bad take makes it harder to edit because if I cut off some tail on a chug lets says, well it may just sound like a chirp cause its too short. I've never used time warp before on Cubase 5. I should look into that. It doesn't affect pitch at all?

edit: it's also worth mentioning that nick sampson (i am abomination) tracks all of joey's guitars for him. so i'm sure nick really knows what to say and what makes the best performance ...and considering nick may just be one of the best young guitarist on earth, i don't really think too many people would argue with his tracking methods. ;)

this couldnt be anymore right. is he a part of this forum at all?

I just want them to be able to understand that I'm the one producing and what I say is good, is good. If they want whats good for their song they need to do what it takes instead of complaining that it takes a few times to get a good take. They'll mess up on the right side after having the left guitar sound perfect but they're like, "That's ok". Its laziness and it makes me look bad. How can I take control without coming off dickish.

That's exactly what I do. I tell them that, but then there's awkward tension haha. But hey, if thats what it takes, I'm game. And Backe, thats what I do when I edit. I feel bad, but I only use the one best guitarist they have. Thanks for the help dudes!

I think That he uses track editing much like drum quantize!! much much editing! Doesn't Joey use auto tune or any plug in for tune in order to get his guitars in perfect tune???

I asked this question on the FAQ but he didn't reply! I just wanna know how well the guitarists actually play the music and how heavily edited it is, if at all.

I asked this question on the FAQ but he didn't reply! I just wanna know how well the guitarists actually play the music and how heavily edited it is, if at all.

He heavily editing his guitar with the tracking in cubase...but i have to understand well how do it in Cubase....cos nowadays i'm still not precise!!

[...] and time warp the takes.

Isn't Time Warp a tool to make the tempo fluctuate from audio? I'm confused about your statement as Time Warp isn't made for what you're saying... Sorry for the french video, but this is Time Warp : go to 3:30.

Aren't you talking about Audio Warp?

Last edited by a moderator:
Track, track, track, track, track until you're blue in the face and want to kill something. Track in small sections if need be, edit as you go it's better for you're brain. One thing I've noticed is that if you auto-quantize a riff say using elastic audio in PT, it will detect the pick attack as the transient and thus put it on the grid which makes the guitars sound ever so slightly late. What I've found the quickest is auto-quantizing then going in and just quickly checking / fixing what it didn't do properly then moving on.

Also tuning is just ridiculously important. If you hear something that is even remotely out of tune, retake it. Tune the guitar to the chord / position on the neck the guitarist is playing. A good idea is say if the guitarist is playing a chord progression that uses the 8th, 10th, 5th and 7th fret. Tune to the closest fret to the "middle" of the chord progression so in that case tune to the 7th fret and as long as the guitars intonation isn't COMPLETELY fucked it should stay in tune for each chord.

Isn't Time Warp a tool to make the tempo fluctuate from audio? I'm confused about your statement as Time Warp isn't made for what you're saying... Sorry for the french video, but this is Time Warp : go to 3:30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezwy9QbraYQ

Aren't you talking about Audio Warp?

it's the same thing i wanted to ask!!! i cannot understand this different between tracking and time warp and how i can tracking through time warp!