Tracking guitars

selke61

Music Producing Ginger
Jan 25, 2011
Hey forum,

So, I was wondering, how does Sturgis track his guitars? I don't mean what he uses, like how he does it on Cubase (I know Nick does the guitar tracking, but still).

I saw on a forum that he doubles tracks? Maybe I read it wrong?

This is how I track my guitars:

One left guitar and one right guitar, most of the time identical or they play harmonies and my leads are centered.

Does he do 2 left 2 right and 2 center?

I get a good recording, but maybe I can get a better one this way, I just didn't wanna overdo it. Thanks :Spin:

He does 1 left and 1 right, sometimes double on each side (depending on the band and how tight they play. And he used to do a center track for mono capabilities, but im not sure if he still does!

Thanks man! I'll test some different methods out

If you double track do you pan 1 guitar hard left and one guitar hard right and then the second take of the left to say 75% left or do you pan that one hard left as well?

Also, do you keep the volume/gain on the second takes the same as the first? Or is it less or more?

I've been curious lol.

I pan hard right and hard left. Guitar one at 100% and 70% and Guitar 2 is the opposite. Of course you can pan guitar 1's reverb on guitars 2 side and vice versa. Makes it sound like your in the room watching them jam. Just don't over do it.

And maybe for a solo the guitar could pan towards center sometimes like the guy walked to the center of the room, mostly I just leave leads panned hard too, i guess it just depends on on what kind of feel your going for.

1 take 100% left, a separate take 100% right. Same volume and tone. Leads in the middle (volume and tone will differ on leads though)
Done.

That's what I normally do and I get great results. I just wanted to try quad or dual tracking, but is it ever really worth it?

That's what I normally do and I get great results. I just wanted to try quad or dual tracking, but is it ever really worth it?

I think you have a misunderstanding here.
What vinny just discribed is dual or double tracking

Double tracking: each rhythm part is tracked twice. Other guitar parts that play at the same time and aren't the main rhythm are either panned somewhere between the doubled tracks or one of the rhythm tracks drops out and the other guitar part takes it's place.

Quad tracking: each rhythm part is tracked 4 times. With the same idea happening with the other guitar Parts.

1 take 100% left, a separate take 100% right. Same volume and tone. Leads in the middle (volume and tone will differ on leads though)
Done.

Thanks exactly what I do. I love the way it comes out. It's full. Just was wondering if Joey did anything special that maybe I could try out.

I'm not trying to be the next Joey, that's silly. Just idolize the man and trying to expand my techniques.

And for bass, I give a little boost in the 20 hz area and HPF and panned center. Should I do anything different with that? Should bass be double tracked? I mean I get a beastly sound with just one take. Again, just curious :loco:

Starting this year I off pan my "center" lead guitars, it helps with the wideness and keep the center open for vocals.
Im talking 13-25 pan, subtle but powerful difference.

Seth Munson said:
Starting this year I off pan my "center" lead guitars, it helps with the wideness and keep the center open for vocals.

+1 I usually do it opposite of whatever cymbal is the rhythm to make a good balance

I actually do this more than I do panning them center. I was just referencing Joey (such as the TDWP leads on Roots etc).
I ALWAYS pan the higher leads/harmonies to the left, since your left ear is actually more attenuated for higher frequencies.
Same with cymbals/toms. I make sure the higher pitched cymbal/tom is on the left (I always do drummer perspective, Audience perspective just sounds unnatural to me.)

Oh. And if you are center panning your leads, NEVER stack two or more leads on top of each other (with very few exceptions...). If you have more than 1 lead, make sure they are atleast slightly panned.

I ALWAYS pan the higher leads/harmonies to the left,
Same with cymbals/toms. I make sure the higher pitched cymbal/tom is on the left (I always do drummer perspective, Audience perspective just sounds unnatural to me.)
It's actual for me too. I prefer drummer's perspective and higher sounds on the left side. But my left ear is not attenuated for highs :)