Tracking guitars

Starting this year I off pan my "center" lead guitars, it helps with the wideness and keep the center open for vocals.
Im talking 13-25 pan, subtle but powerful difference.

Thanks Seth. Funny you said that, I did that method for an ending to a song I produced. I had three guitars going on during a chorus and the left guitar was playing an octave and the right was playing chords and I had a lead that was split R25 and L25. Sounded clear and the singer was able to break through the mix nicely.

I actually do this more than I do panning them center. I was just referencing Joey (such as the TDWP leads on Roots etc).
I ALWAYS pan the higher leads/harmonies to the left, since your left ear is actually more attenuated for higher frequencies.
Same with cymbals/toms. I make sure the higher pitched cymbal/tom is on the left (I always do drummer perspective, Audience perspective just sounds unnatural to me.)

I always do my drums to drummer's perspective. Makes it better for air drumming :headbang:

Here's the song I've been producing the past few weeks. This is the final master. The guitars are hard left and right, with some changes through the song for added flavor. The leads are panned center in the beginning but the last chorus has a guitar playing octaves and is split R25 and L25. The bass is center and is boosted in the 100hz area and I threw a HPF around 4khz to let the guitars peep out. I feel the vocalist during his yelling part sits nicely in the last chorus. I could of brought them up a little more, but I tried retaining the "Ahh"s and the instrumental. The screams sound distorted, but that's because I added some drive for that "anger" feeling. Let me know what you think. This is also one of my loudest mixes in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean like on Joeys productions? Because he almost always pans from audience perspective ;) IMHO it really doesn't matter which way it's panned, as long as it sounds good.

I thought a lot of Joey's productions are drummer's perspective? The tom rolls go left to right, high to low. I could be wrong though.

Good $hit that song. What's the background on it?

Did my volume test where I drop the gain to barely audible and I hear too much of the guitars - for me. PS i figure a guitarist will tend to mix the axes high because they stand in front of the amps.

Another thing (I did with our CD) was to have an EQ envelope on the guitars so when the vocals are active I cut the overlapping bands (1K ish??) but leave the high end and lower end as is. This kept the the guitars still very much in the mix but with less interference on the vox tracks.

More palatable to the guitarist too.

I thought a lot of Joey's productions are drummer's perspective? The tom rolls go left to right, high to low. I could be wrong though.

They are drummers perspective. The only one that he has done recently that was audience perspective was Emmure because the samples were for a their drummer who was a lefty

That post from the FAQ is 2 years old, a lot has changed since then.

(Unless I have my monitors backwards which I am pretty sure they arent considering that would mean my iphone is backwards as well)

They are drummers perspective. The only one that he has done recently that was audience perspective was Emmure because the samples were for a their drummer who was a lefty

That post from the FAQ is 2 years old, a lot has changed since then.

(Unless I have my monitors backwards which I am pretty sure they arent considering that would mean my iphone is backwards as well)

Thanks for clearing that up man! Thought I had mine backwards for a second!

Good that song. What's the background on it?

Did my volume test where I drop the gain to barely audible and I hear too much of the guitars - for me. PS i figure a guitarist will tend to mix the axes high because they stand in front of the amps.

Another thing (I did with our CD) was to have an EQ envelope on the guitars so when the vocals are active I cut the overlapping bands (1K ish??) but leave the high end and lower end as is. This kept the the guitars still very much in the mix but with less interference on the vox tracks.

More palatable to the guitarist too.

I'll have to agree with you on that. A little too punchy, but since I'm a guitarist my selfish ways tend to crank those. I'll deff keep an eye on that and try your method. :headbang: