Perfect Pitch ?

I'm pretty sure alexi , roope and janne have it. I know people who have it , mainly classicaly trained musicians. My musical ear isnt to bad for someone who does 0 ear training exercises. IMO its all about learning how the intervals sound .

(hums) what notes was that delt? lets see if your perfect pitch works.

haha...bought it off ebay....reminds me of Weird Al's song.....good stuff

by the way it was a C flat minor pentatonic scale

oh cool. so because someone is a good musician, that means he has "perfect pitch".

Less than 1% of people have "perfect pitch" or absolute hearing (in fr: oreille absolue). The normal human hearing treats tones as relative to each other, and that's why people don't hear notes, they hear intervals. Those who have absolute hearing, it's caused by the part of the brain that perceives sound working kind of like the one that perceives sight. you can tell a color is red or green or yellow without comparing it to a reference.

i'm happy to have relative tone-hearing like 99% of people. absolute hearing can be an advantage for a musician who just plays an instrument, but in the most part, it can also be a disadvantage. you have a completely different conception of music (and sound) from almost everyone else, this certainly does NOT help in composing/songwriting. + those who have absolute hearing often have a hard time learning diatonic modes, and transposing music, etc. because those concepts are irrelevant to them. it's like asking someone what's the "color interval" between green and blue.

i have very sensitive ears; not quite up to perfect-pitch level i think [because i can't tell notes off by ear], but they're really sharp.

for example, let's say that somebody plays a note that is different from the note it should be according to the key signature, i.e. when F# is played when the key signature says it sould be F, just plain old F. however, no matter which natural+flat/sharp combination it happens to be, when something like that is played a wavy sound always comes up in the air. my ears can pick that up even when i am playing in my 60-piece/6-section concert band at school.

for me it's practically hell, having hearing like that, because i hear the "wave" as something very clear and very prominent. but for my bro, it doesn't bother him much because unless the note conflict is amplified by speakers or whatever he won't hear it as clearly; it just comes across to his brain as a slight disturbance, whereas for me it's like thunder.

[i guess you could say that's one disadvantage to having that kind of hearing, heh.]

that "wave" is a subharmonic dissonance of 2 or more frequencies. the closer these 2 frequencies are, the lower that subharmonic will be. hearing them is -very- useful when tuning instruments.

an example of how this happens is when you're watching the flashers on two cars. one minute they seem to be in sync (both on, both off) then they're not, then they seem in sync but reverse-phased (one on, one off) ... the closer the rate between the 2 flashers, the longer it will take for this sync-out-of-sync relationship (the subharmonic) to change.

heh, ok then...well, that's the best i've ever heard it explained; my science teacher went around in circles explaining when i asked her, and i never really bothered to ask my music teacher...interesting to know what the hell it is i'm hearing tho, so thanks. =)

Didnt mozart have perfect pitch, and he seemed to be pretty good at composing. I heard some story of him as a kid hearing a pig squeal, yelling out G#, running to a piano, and finding out the squeal was a G#