Perfect Pitch ?

I forgot to add that mozart was 2 when he did that. And amadeus wasn't exactly all facts, he never acted that stupid in front of royalty, he knew how to act proper, but in private he was like that.

HalfpintHenkka said:
heh, ok then...well, that's the best i've ever heard it explained; my science teacher went around in circles explaining when i asked her, and i never really bothered to ask my music teacher...interesting to know what the hell it is i'm hearing tho, so thanks. =)
You're science teacher couldn't properly explain that? :OMG: Get a new science teacher, immediately!!
We learned about it, I even had to do that in my physics class, recording the different frequencies (of pendulums) and the resulting frequency, and the formula how to calculate it... only couldn't have explained it in English for lack of technical terms.

Anyway, this is an interesting thread. I'd really like to know the reason why we (well, 99% of us) perceive optic frequencies in an absolute way, knowing immediately if a frequency is blue or green and acoustic frequencies only with respect to each other. What are the physical, neurological, or evolutionary reasons behind that?
And I wonder if perfect pitch has something to do with synethesia? Synesthesia is a condition in which people have parallel sensations of different senses, e.g. seeing sound as colors - might be an explanation for perfect pitch, wouldn't it? But it still doesn't explain why colors are perceived absolute and sounds relative. (Read here if you wanna find out more about synestesia. btw: I have colored letters - anyone else here with synestisic traits?)

Synthesia is not absolute pitch ...
There's a good bunch of false absolute pitch, like guys remembering a song so perfectly they know one note, and once u've got your reference point u use relative pitch .. (I do that, I can sing "One" without knowing where to start)
The best way to understand the fact that we see colors but do not hear pitch is looking at the education we're given. When u're a child, u spend your time looking at books fulled with color and stuff, your parents keep telling u " this is green " and so on ...
The idea is, when u've a child just sit him on a piano and show him the notes, as much as u show him colors.
=)

@HalfPintHenkka Oh, then she couldn't explain because it's a physical thing, not a biological. .......and she probably explains thing too difficult for 8th graders :D

The Child Of Bodom said:
Synthesia is not absolute pitch ...
That wasn't the question. Only it sure would help if you always had the same color coming up with the same note.

TheWayfaerer said you can't practise perfect pitch because it's something you're born with. That kinda contradicts your explanation. Also, there must be a reason why parents name colors, but not notes... they must be easier or more important to us.
Besides, I'm sure anyone of normal sight - also those that don't know the words (e.g. because they are born deaf-mute) - could point out if a given color looks more like a cherry or the cherrytree's leaves, even if they see neither cherry nor leaves for reference. Water always gargles on C and F (perfect-pitched people said so ;)) but few people could tell whether a pig's squeal sounds like water or not...
On the other hand I remember some linguistic experience with a people who have only two words for the color range that we divide into three colors: yellow, green, and blue. Turned out they can discern shades better that just look green to Europeans (Euroapean language speakers), whereas we can tell the difference between yellow and yellowish green respectively blue and bluish green better. That supports your explanation of practicing as a child..... So it depends on the definition of perfect pitch: Is it something you're born with or something you learn and practice?

I just searched for "absolutes Gehör" in google, and the text I read is a bit inconclusive about it. On the one hand it says: "Besides this ability often shows in early childhood, before a thorough musical education took place." Seems like something that doesn't need training. On the other hand: "there are only few examples of perfect hearers who acquired that ability as adults"
Now that I've read the second texts it seems like even scientists don't agree with each other if it's hereditary or acquired.... and BTW sparrow have perfect pitch, and rats do even worse than humans when it comes to identifying notes :D

BTW: It would be a really, really interesting experiment if CoB played a gig in which they play one song in a different tuning than on CD.... and then ask the fans if they can identify which song was played in the "wrong" pitch.

sometimes i'm too lazy to re-tune my bass so i just play a whole bunch of songs in whatever tuning i'm in...regardless of what the song is tuned in, heh. i just transpose it; or if there's an unplayable part with the tuning i'm in, i just bass solo thru...:p

I have extremely good relative pitch but I've also taught myself to "hear" notes by equating them to "colors." Its not anything that makes any particular sense...just for example the note "A" sounds "red" to me. It isn't an instantaneous thing tho, so I guess its like I can "see" the note if I squint REEEAALLLY hard :p

> just for example the note "A" sounds "red" to me.

weird, i have the same impression. i dont see any other relationship between A and the color red..... or E = dark blueish, B = yellow, etc, etc...... just a hunch.

oh and this has -nothing- to do with the color coding of string ball-ends, in fact i find those confusing :) !!

NeedledWarheart said:
Beethoven was deaf... and wrote that music. He owns EACH AND EVERY one of you here

By the time Beethoven went deaf, he had excellent solfege. He didn't really need his hearing to compose music, for the most part. That's a great advantage of theory and training.