Perfect Pitch

relative pitch really has nothing to do with perfect pitch. its in an entirely different vein. if you can find emotional meaning in music, then you have the potential for relative pitch. if you can hear the difference between a minor and a major chord, you are using relative pitch. someone with relative pitch can hear a chord and tell you, its a minor 3rd inversion with a major seventh in the bla bla bla. someone with perfect pitch can tell you what notes the pitches represent.

so really, you don't have to have perfect pitch to pick all nine pitches out of a chord. someone with a strong sense of relative pitch can do the same....but, its all based on the pitches' relation to eachother.

relative pitch is by far the more important skill. its the understanding of the language and emotional meaning of music....its recognition of the sentence instead of the individual words.

Acutally those chords exist. Burlioz used an 11 sound chord in his Symphonie Fantasique

Ten SiSi said:
Acutally those chords exist. Burlioz used an 11 sound chord in his Symphonie Fantasique
i doubt it. he probably played some that were the same note an octave apart. if you played 11 different notes, there would only be one note you aren't playing, it would just sound like barf, there would be no point

westknife said:
i doubt it. he probably played some that were the same note an octave apart. if you played 11 different notes, there would only be one note you aren't playing, it would just sound like barf, there would be no point

i'm sure thats what the guy meant in the first place....on second thought, why not put a chord like that in music? if its there, there is a point.

An Absent Friend said:
b57 Chord--Formula is 1.5 + 1.5
(a whole step + a half step) + (a whole step + a half step)
sorry, your notation is gay and you are wrong
try 4 + 2 + 4 (+2)
but wtf are you on about?

I agree with Joe.

i played piano for 7years from when i was 4 to 11 years old and my music teacher said that i had perfect pitch but i haven't played an instrument since then and i think i may not have it anymore (if that makes any sense). that makes me think that people can obtain it through pracitce because when i stopped practicing it sort of faded

Geez... 20th Century music has moments of all 12 tones used simultaneously...it's a weird effect, and whether or not you find it "pleasant" depends on what you're used to.

Perfect pitch, btw = tossing a viola into a dumpster and not hitting the rim.

JoeVice said:
relative pitch really has nothing to do with perfect pitch. its in an entirely different vein. if you can find emotional meaning in music, then you have the potential for relative pitch. if you can hear the difference between a minor and a major chord, you are using relative pitch. someone with relative pitch can hear a chord and tell you, its a minor 3rd inversion with a major seventh in the bla bla bla. someone with perfect pitch can tell you what notes the pitches represent.

so really, you don't have to have perfect pitch to pick all nine pitches out of a chord. someone with a strong sense of relative pitch can do the same....but, its all based on the pitches' relation to eachother.

relative pitch is by far the more important skill. its the understanding of the language and emotional meaning of music....its recognition of the sentence instead of the individual words.

No offence, but I completely disagree, until now I've just heard relative pitch described as being able to recognize a pitch based on a reference note. Nothing to do with 'understanding the language and emotional meaning of music'... after all it is relative pitch.

Can anyone really understand the language and emotional meaning of music anyway? People take what they can out of music and it can mean completely different things to everyone. Reading this forum proves that. The way I see it, if someone sits down with no musical knowledge and listens to a piece of music, then they are getting their own personal emotional understanding of it- whether it has lyrics or not.

I don't think music is a language. I see it as many languages, and understanding of them can't ever fully be grasped by one person.

FuneralPortrait said:
No offence, but I completely disagree, until now I've just heard relative pitch described as being able to recognize a pitch based on a reference note. Nothing to do with 'understanding the language and emotional meaning of music'... after all it is relative pitch.

Can anyone really understand the language and emotional meaning of music anyway? People take what they can out of music and it can mean completely different things to everyone. Reading this forum proves that. The way I see it, if someone sits down with no musical knowledge and listens to a piece of music, then they are getting their own personal emotional understanding of it- whether it has lyrics or not.

I don't think music is a language. I see it as many languages, and understanding of them can't ever fully be grasped by one person.

relative pitch is a fairly loose term. being able to recognize a pitch based on a reference note is something that can be done with a good sense of relative pitch. and yah, there is no concrete emotional meaning in music. its all up to the player/listener. i think that almost everyone in the entire world has relative pitch. some can hear a minor 3rd interval and say, "that sounds sad." some can hear it, get goosebumps, and say, "thats a minor third interval." relative pitch is the recognition of the substance of music.

perfect pitch is something that you have, or don't have. i suppose someone can have perfect pitch, yet feel very little emotion with music. that person could name every pitch in a song, but feel nothing.

westknife said:

get over it and just agree that is possible for a nine note chord it just wont sound good. you both win.